Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Change company or give GMAT.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Change company or give GMAT. [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 08:39
Hi guys,
My first post in the forum and I would like some advice on the current situation which I'm facing right now. I work in an IT company where I develop code for an investment bank. I have been working for the past 3 years in which for 1 year I have been leading a team of 3. A month back I took the decision of changing company since I wanted more challenges and wanted to look for more opportunities in a different company. Also recently about a week back I started thinking about giving the GMAT too.

My first inclination was to change companies and then give the GMAT since I already had made up my mind of changing companies. I have also told a lot of loved ones that I'm changing companies and they have given their support for it. But now another possibility for me has come up, i.e to remain in the same company and give the GMAT.

Which do you think will be a wise decision. By changing company, I may getter a different and better role than the one I'm getting now which will improve my work experience. This will be helpful during the admission process since I will be having a varied work experience, or do you guys think work experience won't matter that much and that I should give the GMAT now itself without changing companies.

I can't do both i.e start a job search as well as give GMAT that will be too hectic. One more reason that I want to change company is because my mind wanders a lot. I'm not able to stick to a decision once I decide to do it. I dont want to give the GMAT now because I had taken a decision to change company and I want to stick to it ( I'm trying to control my mind on making a decision and sticking to it )

So guys, what advice can you give me on my current situation? Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Change company or give GMAT. [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 11:45
Work experience is crucial. If you think your current experience is not enough for quality schools, then definitely start looking at options.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Change company or give GMAT. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 09:09
What is the difference between your role in the new company and in the previous company ? Are you making changes for monetary gains ? Since you have 3 years work experience, you have some time (2 years) before getting an MBA. You can join the new company work hard for 6 months , then give GMAT in the next 6-8 months and apply with 5 years of experience. Having said that if your new company is only marginally better (the probable case in India :) ) then you are better off focusing 1 year on GMAT and try to get 750-760. This would help much more than joining a slightly better company.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Change company or give GMAT. [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 02:31
If you definitely want to do MBA then changing jobs is not a good step. Instead with such an experience you must prepare for GMAT , perform well and then after doing MBA go for whatever choice you want to take, as with post graduation you will come to know where exactly you could grow and work with your complete efficiency.

Apply for MBA at University Of Tennessee

Re: Change company or give GMAT.   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 02:31