Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hi gmatclub friends:

I m gonna apply for 2014 mba program, but I have a situation so I d like to hear your expert opinions, I m working as a SAP Consultant in a SAP Partner in Peru, but I ve received a job offer from a big SAP Partner (also in Peru), but I wonder if this change of job (just the year before starting the mba), it could sound strange for the admission office or it can make me look as a interested just in money since the job is the same but in a big firm.
I mean It has no relation with my profile application since I look forward to move to anoter functional area, for example to: sales or marketing.

Hope you can help me.

regards

jav
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 08:04
Are you planning to start your MBA in Fall 2013 or Fall 2014?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:53
kingfalcon wrote:
Are you planning to start your MBA in Fall 2013 or Fall 2014?

I m planning to start on Fall 2014...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 12:08
That would still give you almost a year and a half at your new position, which is more than reasonable. I would take the position and not worry about how the admissions committee will view it.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 12:12
Expert's post
Take the position if it puts you in the right direction for your career and you can explain to the adcom why you made the switch (and more $$ isn't the greatest reason unless you're up for a direct promotion and not moving departments). From what you've said this new role will give you exposure to a bigger company, which could at the very least lend itself to more indirect or direct responsibilities. That sounds good to me! I bring up having a reason to accept because you'll likely have to write about it in an essay and speak to it in an interview if you do follow through with your app plans..

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:14
Ah! I think this is the forum I am looking for. Could use some opinions on my own job change dilemma:

At the beginning of my application process I was laid off from my job, and was acknowledged in my application. As of today I have gone through the interview process with all but one school, and yesterday got an official offer and start date for a contract job that will take me through June (I was looking at freelance/contract jobs all along since I didn't want to start anything full-time where I knew I would be quitting within 6 months anyway to return to school).

If my schools allow updates to my application, I'm debating whether this would be a good update to give. The pros would be a) it shows that I've been actively using my time off wisely, and b) my MBA concentration is marketing, and this is a digital marketing role that would expand my skill set and behoove me in the long run.

HOWEVER... my concern is that this new job is in a completely different industry than I came from (and want to remain in post-MBA). Much of my personal statements (ie why an mba now?) focused on the fact that I've already made an industry/career change, and the MBA will help propel me along the path in that industry. I wonder if this update could actually hurt my candidacy because it's in such a different industry, and will make me look like I'm taking a job anywhere just to have a job? Having already made the industry switch, my resume already looks somewhat "patchwork-y", if you will, and I fear this will make me look like I have no direction. At the same time, it's a good opportunity to advance my skill set. Or am I overthinking it?

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any advice...
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:33
MBAtLast wrote:
I wonder if this update could actually hurt my candidacy because it's in such a different industry, and will make me look like I'm taking a job anywhere just to have a job? Having already made the industry switch, my resume already looks somewhat "patchwork-y", if you will, and I fear this will make me look like I have no direction. At the same time, it's a good opportunity to advance my skill set. Or am I overthinking it?

Thanks for any advice...

The adcom would be understanding that you need money, at the very least. I might argue that what you're doing shows a lot of forsight; some admits take as many months off before their MBA as you will be working in your new gig, saving for school!

Plenty of people take pre-MBA internship roles, too, and those have little bearing on the application. I think you might be over-thinking it. Plus it looks like you already have one admit (congrats!), so that school was willing to accept you even while you were looking for temp gigs.

Are you hoping to use this new job as positioning to get into another school higher on your list? In that case, you probably spelled out all the risks/rewards already. The adcom could see the effort you've put in, but also scratch their head wondering why this new industry.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 15:20
bigcountry wrote:
MBAtLast wrote:
I wonder if this update could actually hurt my candidacy because it's in such a different industry, and will make me look like I'm taking a job anywhere just to have a job? Having already made the industry switch, my resume already looks somewhat "patchwork-y", if you will, and I fear this will make me look like I have no direction. At the same time, it's a good opportunity to advance my skill set. Or am I overthinking it?

Thanks for any advice...

The adcom would be understanding that you need money, at the very least. I might argue that what you're doing shows a lot of forsight; some admits take as many months off before their MBA as you will be working in your new gig, saving for school!

Plenty of people take pre-MBA internship roles, too, and those have little bearing on the application. I think you might be over-thinking it. Plus it looks like you already have one admit (congrats!), so that school was willing to accept you even while you were looking for temp gigs.

Are you hoping to use this new job as positioning to get into another school higher on your list? In that case, you probably spelled out all the risks/rewards already. The adcom could see the effort you've put in, but also scratch their head wondering why this new industry.

Thanks for your 2 cents! And, yes- I won't be finding out about the other schools for another month, which means they're probably still looking at my app. I'm very excited about my one acceptance but I'm also still looking seriously at those other two and would love to get admits there! I just hate that it will look like I've been unemployed for so long when I am no longer unemployed.

I guess the positives of sending an update would only make sense if I could include a quick blurb explaining why I took the job: it is good for being able to get a paycheck, of course, but I am excited about the learning experience and would certainly spell that out to the adcom. The question is still whether the risks would still outweigh that.
Re: change job when about to start the application for MBA 2014   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2013, 15:20