Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Changing Job Titles on Your Resume

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Changing Job Titles on Your Resume [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 23:17
I was a Sr. Admin Assistant for the Marketing Dept. for about 6 months after I graduated from college. Nothing glamorous of course, but it got my foot in the door I suppose.

As I'm revising my resume, I was wondering if it would be alright to change my old title of Sr. Admin Assistant to Sr. Marketing Assistant? My job responsibilities extended well beyond just clerical tasks, after all. I would see this as merely embellishing some areas on my resume. Aren't we all guilty of that? :wink:

I know people say titles don't matter, but don't you think "Admin Assistant" has more negative connotations than positive ones? I'm afraid once an adcom rep sees that on my resume, they'll already be a little turned off.

Any advice on what to do? But the most important question is: Would I get in trouble for this??

Thanks!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 00:57
I'd say it depends on how much do you have AFTER that position. If you have 6 years as McKinsey managing partner - who the hell cares about where did you start :) OTOH, if this position is a significant part of your career - you might want to shed a proper light on it. In this case, imagine the situation when Kroll (or whoever) calls your company and asks "did X work as blahblah?" Will this cause trouble, or your colleagues will let it slip?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 17:30
I will say dont do it because when they run the background checks. They will be asking/confirming your job titles from current/previous employers.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 04:43
I agree, don't change your title, but when you describe the job on your resume or in an interview feel free to make it sound as "marketing" as you want.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 06:53
Maybe you can ask your employer for a change in job title?
  [#permalink] 24 Mar 2007, 06:53