Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Changing jobs during the application cycle?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 05:55
RoyHalladay - I agree. Don't disclose this information to your current and potential new bosses. My situation was different (long story), so I went with a different approach.

highwyre237 - congrats! Durham is a great city for entrepreneurs. So many new businesses are popping up over here, and the locals love supporting them. Likewise, Ann Arbor is amazing. I haven't met a single person who has lived in Ann Arbor and has said that they hated living there. I am sure that your wife would like living in either of these two options. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 16:11
So, it looks like I'm pretty likely going to get an offer from another company within the next week...not sure how to approach this. I'd like some input here. Basically, the offer is at a different (well known) company...high position....and a significant bump in pay/comp (~25-30%). I'm shooting for R1/R2. I know that b-school acceptance isnt guaranteed, but will this hurt me?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:48
RoyHalladay wrote:
So, it looks like I'm pretty likely going to get an offer from another company within the next week...not sure how to approach this. I'd like some input here. Basically, the offer is at a different (well known) company...high position....and a significant bump in pay/comp (~25-30%). I'm shooting for R1/R2. I know that b-school acceptance isnt guaranteed, but will this hurt me?

Does it fit with your "story"?
Current Student

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:52
kingfalcon wrote:

Sort of, kind of...but the responsibilities/functional area are essentially the same. Just add a "senior" to the title. and more cash.
Current Student

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 04:25
RoyHalladay wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Sort of, kind of...but the responsibilities/functional area are essentially the same. Just add a "senior" to the title. and more cash.

I would tend to say go for it, personally. You may find some comfort in reading this post, too:
changing-jobs-after-short-stint-bad-for-bschool-apps-127627.html?fl=similar
Jon gives great reasoning on why one would change jobs in the middle of an application cycle.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 06:08
Expert's post
In a similar vein, does anyone know how adcoms look at temporary to permanent positions? Obviously if the permanent job doesn't go through, that would look bad for an app (unemployed) but otherwise is it considered the same as any other job?

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 06:13
kingfalcon wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

I would tend to say go for it, personally. You may find some comfort in reading this post, too:
changing-jobs-after-short-stint-bad-for-bschool-apps-127627.html?fl=similar
Jon gives great reasoning on why one would change jobs in the middle of an application cycle.

I like that reasoning. Thanks for directing me there. I don't think I'd burn any bridges as my manager is also looking to move on and he understands my drive.
Current Student

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 06:15
mba2014hopeful wrote:
In a similar vein, does anyone know how adcoms look at temporary to permanent positions? Obviously if the permanent job doesn't go through, that would look bad for an app (unemployed) but otherwise is it considered the same as any other job?

Not too sure. Are your roles and responsibilities similar to a perm employee? Would your recommender (assuming you would get one from here) be able to compare you vs others? Is this like a contract job?

I don't know why it would hurt you, maybe others can answer definitively.
Current Student

Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 07:35
RoyHalladay wrote:
I like that reasoning. Thanks for directing me there. I don't think I'd burn any bridges as my manager is also looking to move on and he understands my drive.

Honestly, based on the admittedly limited information you have provided, if I were in your position, I would take the job.
Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle?   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2012, 07:35