Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 15

Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
im currently going through the MGMAT SC book and taking my time to give it a decent read. I have reached the idioms chapter and i find nearly 200 examples listed there. Given the new rule on idioms being phased out in the exam, i wanted to understand if i should spend a lot of time memorizing the lists in this chapter.

can anyone pls advise :?: :?:
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
I would say don't spend time 'mugging' up the entire list. But gift it at least couple of reads. Idioms are very important.

If you are native speaker or voracious reader, you will already be familiar with 80% of them.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 13

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
I agree, I wouldn't spend all this time memorizing the list. Read through it, highlight the ones that don't make sense to you or that you know you have been using incorrectly. If you just brush up on those select few, i think that would be enough
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi tsheshraj,

it was just today that I reached Chapter 9 ;) And thought the same. You have another 40 pages of idioms, some of which are well-known, others - quite specific. I decided to read them once now, complete the Problem Set as well as the OG12 questions. I won't create any flashcards or things like that, just read. Another thing is that in order to memorize only the correct things and rely on my "ear" I'm reading only the correct and the suspect examples, not the wrong ones. This also safes some time. Of course, if I see that section wrong includes interesting examples, I may read them as well.

That's how I will tackle it! The same goes to all idioms from MGMAT Verbal Foundations ;)

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:32
thanks Piya. best of luck for your exam.

do let us know how it went. hope u cross the 700 mark!
Manager
Manager

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:35
bgpower wrote:
Hi tsheshraj,

it was just today that I reached Chapter 9 ;) And thought the same. You have another 40 pages of idioms, some of which are well-known, others - quite specific.

That's how I will tackle it! The same goes to all idioms from MGMAT Verbal Foundations ;)

Regards,

thanks bgpower. that sounds like a pretty sensible approach. i see that you are referring to the MGMAT verbal foundations as well. is it good (im a non native speaker and verbal is the weaker one)? :-D is it worth buying?
Manager
Manager

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:36
hi swoosh and bgpower,

thanks for the replies. when are u planning to give the GMAT btw?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:40
Hi tsheshraj,

I plan to give GMAT in the end of May if I complete everything by then. Otherwise I will postpone it to June, although with the new format, because I don't think Integrated Reasoning makes that much of a difference.

Regarding MGMAT Verbal Foundations - I bought it, because I'm also a non-native speaker and wanted to have more prer in Verbal. I think it's worth it, as it focuses on the various parts of speach, how they relate etc. It's not short - about 320 pages, but again a substantial part are idioms. I would recommend it for sure, if you have time. You can see a more detailed review of mine in my topic "740+ Study strategy".

Will be happy to answer other questions as well!

Regards,

Manager
Manager

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:58
hi bgpower,

your earlier post "740+study strategy" was very useful. I believe im currently where you were at the start of the year as i plan to give the exam in august.

given your prep plan, and that mine has just started i have some very similar questions that you could probably shed light on. i am working, and i can spare 1-2 hrs on a weekday and 8-10 hrs on weekends:

1. How were your initial diagnostic scores and how are they faring now? how much of a marked improvement do u find in each section?
(my initial 3 tests had the 660-570, q-44-48 and v-29-34)
GMAT prep- 660, 650
Princeton - 570
2. My weak subjects are SC and CR. I have MGMAT (8 guides) and Powerscore CR with me for the topics and would like to go thru e-GMAT SC when i have the time in the coming few months. Would you suggest adding MGMAT verbal foundations and Aristotle SC (heard pretty good reviews) to these? As expected, does this sound like an overdose for 4 months?
3. What material is available for good quant practice? given my initial scores (44-48), i feel that my basics arent too bad and i would need to focus on more coneptual questions to hit 51. the MGMAT guides seem basic though im giving every one of them a thorough read. im planning to take MGMAT advanced quant. heard good things about jeff sackman's set but seems very expensive.
4. Do error logs help? i find that to be too tedious and it feels like im spending a lot of time entering stuff that i could substitute by simpler menthods (circling qns to be reviewed, etc).

detailed post but really need some help to finetune my GMAT strategy! :-D :-D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi buddy,

I didn't take any diagnostic exam right at the beginning. When I had completed both Foundation books I received a 610 (q40, v34), which was 3 weeks ago. Then I started with SC, which turned out to be my weakest area. I hope, after completing all 8 strategy guides to have boosted my score at least by a 100 points. But lets see. It's a long way.

While you have plenty of time until August, I would still suggest you complete all Strategy Guides and the Powerscore CR bible and see then if to buy Aristotle SC (MGMAT SC should be enough). Regarding the Verbal Foundations - if you can do it - order it. I'm sure you'll find some helpful explanations there as SC and CR are your weak areas. But if you generally feel OK with MGMAT SC - don't. Then it may be too easy for you.

For good quant practice use - MGMAT Quant Guides and when you have finished them - GMATClub tests ;) Another option - Jeff Sackmanns TOTAL GMAT MATH ;)

The error log helps a lot. I've still not developed mine to 100%, but I see that if you keep one, it's much easier to check in which sections you have the most problems, if they are due to timing, concentration or lack of knowledge! Keep one! It's a must!

Hope this helped you at least a bit! Shar other questions as well!

Regards,

Re: Chapter 9 of MGMAT SC...im conflicted!   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2012, 11:14