Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CBS Thread Master
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1059
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 97

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 01:42
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so.

Image

1. The function prepositional phrase “for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight” is obscure. It is not clear what is it modifying. It is not placed correctly.
2. Only comma has been used to join two independent clauses. This structure is completely ungrammatical.

POE:

Choice A: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he: Incorrect. The syntax of this answer choice is not correct the clauses have not been placed at proper places to convey the meaning clearly.

Choice C: Since he was very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, so Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. There is no independent clause in the sentence with this choice. Use of “so” is incorrect here.

Choice D: Being very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight was the reason that Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. This structure is ungrammatical. If there were a comma instead of “was the reason that”, then the construction would be correct.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh: Correct. “very reluctant” correctly modifies the subject of the Independent clause Charles Lindbergh. Pronoun “he” and “his” also correctly refer to the same subject.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Shradhha,
Any update on this?

Could you please come up with a detail meaning analysis and help me understand it...

Really appreciate your feedback.
_________________

e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1577
Followers: 1060

Kudos [?]: 2527 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:46
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Debayan,

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he
The problem with this choice is that the modifier "being very reluctant..." is placed between two commas. Such placement makes it undlear whether this modifier modifies the preceding noun or the following noun. Here is the scope of ambiguity in modification.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh
Here, the modification is absolutely clear. Who is very reluctant? The subject of the following clause Chales Lindbergh. There is no acope of any ambiguity whatsoever in this choice. Hence, this choice is precise and conveys the logical menaing absolutely clearly.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

CBS Thread Master
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1059
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 97

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:01
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Debayan,

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he
The problem with this choice is that the modifier "being very reluctant..." is placed between two commas. Such placement makes it undlear whether this modifier modifies the preceding noun or the following noun. Here is the scope of ambiguity in modification.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh
Here, the modification is absolutely clear. Who is very reluctant? The subject of the following clause Chales Lindbergh. There is no acope of any ambiguity whatsoever in this choice. Hence, this choice is precise and conveys the logical menaing absolutely clearly.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi Shraddha,
Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid that it's still not clear to me unfortunately :(

Option E-this option I think, doesn't convey the intended meaning that as the Charles was very reluctant to carry any extra weight...(hence) he refused to carry even a pound of mail....

Option B-in this option "being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane" irrespective of the fact whether it modifies the preceding noun or the following noun, I think clearly conveys the intended meaning that Charles was reluctant to carry any extra weight so he refused to carry even a pound of mail....

Please help!
_________________

e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 82
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 02:37
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so.

Image

1. The function prepositional phrase “for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight” is obscure. It is not clear what is it modifying. It is not placed correctly.
2. Only comma has been used to join two independent clauses. This structure is completely ungrammatical.

POE:

Choice A: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he: Incorrect. The syntax of this answer choice is not correct the clauses have not been placed at proper places to convey the meaning clearly.

Choice C: Since he was very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, so Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. There is no independent clause in the sentence with this choice. Use of “so” is incorrect here.

Choice D: Being very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight was the reason that Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. This structure is ungrammatical. If there were a comma instead of “was the reason that”, then the construction would be correct.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh: Correct. “very reluctant” correctly modifies the subject of the Independent clause Charles Lindbergh. Pronoun “he” and “his” also correctly refer to the same subject.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


In option E, "Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight" is a dependent clause and "Charles Lindbergh refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so" is an independent clause.

I think so as in the 1st clause "Very ........flight", the word "when" is a dependent clause marker.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 77
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 22:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
There are two key things one should understand to answer this questions:

1) The modifier "reluctant to carry even a pound of extra weight" is a necessary modifier, meaning this is essential part of the sentence but not there to provide extra information.

2) The modifier "despite being offered $1000 to do so" should modify Charles not anything else.

Coming to the choices:

Original sentence is wrong. Need not discuss why.

Choice B is wrong because it changes the intended meaning of the sentence by violating 1 above. By placing the modifier 1 (above) after a comma, the choice wrongly implies that there is no correlation between "going on a solo transatlantic flight" and "being reluctant to carry extra weight" which is wrong as it changes the intended meaning.

Choice C has redundancy error Since.....so is a wrong construction.

Choice D is wrong because it violates 2 above. "Being very reluctant....was the reason....., despite being offered $1000 to do so". "Being very reluctant to carry" cannot be offered $1000.

Choice E takes care of both 1 and 2 highlighted above. Right
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 22:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic linker 4 25 Sep 2004, 05:22
Popular new posts Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic whosaysso 14 20 Oct 2005, 00:27
Popular new posts Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic vivek123 10 26 Dec 2005, 09:18
Popular new posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic rkatl 14 27 Jul 2006, 11:17
New posts Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic KC 2 01 Nov 2006, 17:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.