Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC) - Page 2
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 11 Dec 2016, 05:17
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1194
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 1426 [0], given: 142

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 01:42
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so.

Image

1. The function prepositional phrase “for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight” is obscure. It is not clear what is it modifying. It is not placed correctly.
2. Only comma has been used to join two independent clauses. This structure is completely ungrammatical.

POE:

Choice A: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he: Incorrect. The syntax of this answer choice is not correct the clauses have not been placed at proper places to convey the meaning clearly.

Choice C: Since he was very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, so Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. There is no independent clause in the sentence with this choice. Use of “so” is incorrect here.

Choice D: Being very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight was the reason that Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. This structure is ungrammatical. If there were a comma instead of “was the reason that”, then the construction would be correct.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh: Correct. “very reluctant” correctly modifies the subject of the Independent clause Charles Lindbergh. Pronoun “he” and “his” also correctly refer to the same subject.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Shradhha,
Any update on this?

Could you please come up with a detail meaning analysis and help me understand it...

Really appreciate your feedback.
_________________

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog


KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

e-GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1995
Followers: 2055

Kudos [?]: 6997 [0], given: 262

Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:46
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Debayan,

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he
The problem with this choice is that the modifier "being very reluctant..." is placed between two commas. Such placement makes it undlear whether this modifier modifies the preceding noun or the following noun. Here is the scope of ambiguity in modification.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh
Here, the modification is absolutely clear. Who is very reluctant? The subject of the following clause Chales Lindbergh. There is no acope of any ambiguity whatsoever in this choice. Hence, this choice is precise and conveys the logical menaing absolutely clearly.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1194
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 1426 [0], given: 142

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:01
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
I'm not able to understand clearly why B is incorrect here and E is correct ? Could you please come up with a bit detail analysis of this question by digging deep further ?

Much appreciate your feedback.

P.S : I guess,E doesn't have a sense of the fact that Charles Lindbergh was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane hence refused to carry even a pound of mail....


Hi Debayan,

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he
The problem with this choice is that the modifier "being very reluctant..." is placed between two commas. Such placement makes it undlear whether this modifier modifies the preceding noun or the following noun. Here is the scope of ambiguity in modification.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh
Here, the modification is absolutely clear. Who is very reluctant? The subject of the following clause Chales Lindbergh. There is no acope of any ambiguity whatsoever in this choice. Hence, this choice is precise and conveys the logical menaing absolutely clearly.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi Shraddha,
Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid that it's still not clear to me unfortunately :(

Option E-this option I think, doesn't convey the intended meaning that as the Charles was very reluctant to carry any extra weight...(hence) he refused to carry even a pound of mail....

Option B-in this option "being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane" irrespective of the fact whether it modifies the preceding noun or the following noun, I think clearly conveys the intended meaning that Charles was reluctant to carry any extra weight so he refused to carry even a pound of mail....

Please help!
_________________

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog


KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 81
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 02:37
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so.

Image

1. The function prepositional phrase “for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight” is obscure. It is not clear what is it modifying. It is not placed correctly.
2. Only comma has been used to join two independent clauses. This structure is completely ungrammatical.

POE:

Choice A: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he: Incorrect. The syntax of this answer choice is not correct the clauses have not been placed at proper places to convey the meaning clearly.

Choice C: Since he was very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, so Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. There is no independent clause in the sentence with this choice. Use of “so” is incorrect here.

Choice D: Being very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight was the reason that Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. This structure is ungrammatical. If there were a comma instead of “was the reason that”, then the construction would be correct.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh: Correct. “very reluctant” correctly modifies the subject of the Independent clause Charles Lindbergh. Pronoun “he” and “his” also correctly refer to the same subject.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


In option E, "Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight" is a dependent clause and "Charles Lindbergh refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so" is an independent clause.

I think so as in the 1st clause "Very ........flight", the word "when" is a dependent clause marker.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 118
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [3] , given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2013, 22:00
3
This post received
KUDOS
There are two key things one should understand to answer this questions:

1) The modifier "reluctant to carry even a pound of extra weight" is a necessary modifier, meaning this is essential part of the sentence but not there to provide extra information.

2) The modifier "despite being offered $1000 to do so" should modify Charles not anything else.

Coming to the choices:

Original sentence is wrong. Need not discuss why.

Choice B is wrong because it changes the intended meaning of the sentence by violating 1 above. By placing the modifier 1 (above) after a comma, the choice wrongly implies that there is no correlation between "going on a solo transatlantic flight" and "being reluctant to carry extra weight" which is wrong as it changes the intended meaning.

Choice C has redundancy error Since.....so is a wrong construction.

Choice D is wrong because it violates 2 above. "Being very reluctant....was the reason....., despite being offered $1000 to do so". "Being very reluctant to carry" cannot be offered $1000.

Choice E takes care of both 1 and 2 highlighted above. Right
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10444
Followers: 887

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 04:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 128
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 00:06
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore refused to carry even a pound of mail, despite being offered $1,000 to do so.

Image

1. The function prepositional phrase “for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight” is obscure. It is not clear what is it modifying. It is not placed correctly.
2. Only comma has been used to join two independent clauses. This structure is completely ungrammatical.

POE:

Choice A: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic flight, was very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he therefore: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: When Charles Lindbergh was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, being very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane, he: Incorrect. The syntax of this answer choice is not correct the clauses have not been placed at proper places to convey the meaning clearly.

Choice C: Since he was very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he was attempting his solo transatlantic flight, so Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. There is no independent clause in the sentence with this choice. Use of “so” is incorrect here.

Choice D: Being very reluctant to carry any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight was the reason that Charles Lindbergh: Incorrect. This structure is ungrammatical. If there were a comma instead of “was the reason that”, then the construction would be correct.

Choice E: Very reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane when he attempted his solo transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh: Correct. “very reluctant” correctly modifies the subject of the Independent clause Charles Lindbergh. Pronoun “he” and “his” also correctly refer to the same subject.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


According to e-GMAT's SC course, the correct answer has to convey the intended meaning of the original sentence. Here, the original sentence indicates that "being very relectant to...." is the reason why Charles Lindbergh refused to carry... But in choice E, we do not see this relation. In choice E, the "reluctant" thing only becomes a modifier to Charles Lindbergh, and there is no reason for the "refused" thing.
I think choice D, though wordy, is the correct answer.
Please correct me!
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1995
Followers: 2055

Kudos [?]: 6997 [0], given: 262

Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 23:19
tronghieu1987 wrote:

According to e-GMAT's SC course, the correct answer has to convey the intended meaning of the original sentence. Here, the original sentence indicates that "being very relectant to...." is the reason why Charles Lindbergh refused to carry... But in choice E, we do not see this relation. In choice E, the "reluctant" thing only becomes a modifier to Charles Lindbergh, and there is no reason for the "refused" thing.
I think choice D, though wordy, is the correct answer.
Please correct me!


Hi tronghieu1987,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

The context of the sentence is such hat it makes it absolutely clear that Charles Lindbergh refused to carry even a pound of mail because he was reluctant to have any extra weight on his plane. Even though this sentence does not use any "reason" word., the context makes it absolutely clear.

Also, this is an officially correct answer that is always correct. We should not doubt them. rather we should learn new usages from them.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10444
Followers: 887

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 21:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2016, 21:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 In reaction to King Charles I's attempt to arrest five mattce 6 26 Jun 2013, 12:44
1 In celebrating Charles A. Lindberghs epic flight in the ptm30 7 18 Oct 2010, 21:30
2 Hubert Humphrey's attempt in his campaign to dissociate Ashwin_Mohan 5 07 Jul 2008, 17:56
1 If charles had spent half as much time attending his classes FN 13 30 Apr 2008, 15:16
Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic huntgmat 9 13 Mar 2008, 20:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Charles Lindbergh, for his attempt at a solo transatlantic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.