Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (02:09) correct 49% (01:22) wrong based on 72 sessions
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Take
In this case we can eliminate E because it is not parallel.but had the option E only been E) to include child-care facilities , then what would have been wrong with the option
My doubt is regarding the usage of "called for "
Can we use "called for" in the following manner
The government called for the prime minister to resign
In other words, can "called for " be followed by a "to + verb ", since "to + verb " is an adverbial modifier" modifying "called " .
or
should "called for" be always followed by a noun as is the case with the SC above ?

also
if you consider the following sentence , which is correct.
my parents heard about my failing the test
I thought a preposition should link 2 nouns.so in the above case "about" should be followed by a gerund .
I think a gerund with a present participle -ing form must make use of the possessive form of the noun.
my parent heard about mine failing the test.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 20

Re: called for [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey mundasingh123:

Thanks for the invitation to reply! Good question - I think the best way to look at it is that "called for" is a verb...well, actually "called" is the verb. So the noun that follows "called for" is the object:

The president called for change.
The new management called for a strict dress code.

Because "called for" is akin to a command or request, it's pretty common to have a to-verb in there because the request is usually for the noun to do something:

The president called for North Korea to end its nuclear program.
The new administration called for employees to wear ties and jackets to client meetings.

Another common way to set off two verbs is to use the word "that":

The president called for a North Korea that obeyed UN regulations.
The new administration called for employees that were well-dressed.

With "that", at least in these past-tense cases, it's more of a passive action than an active one (which is where "to _____" would come in). Either form is okay as long as the verb is logical, etc.

On this question, you're right that E would be correct if it were also parallel ("called for urban apartments to include childcare and for suburban housing to have...").

I hope that helps...

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 12:21
Brian thanks for Clarifying the issues regarding called for.
It would be extremely helpful if you could clarify the usage of the present participle with the preposition in the following sentence.
1)I heard about Peter winnning the Marathon
2)I heard about Peter's winning the marathon.
Could you please clarify whether the structure of sentence 2 is correct.I have created a gerund by using the possessive form of Peter.I find it puzzling that Sentence 1 doesnt have a gerund and still the sentence is correct.Is it an idiomatic expression or can it be explain grammatically?
Please help.

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 20

Re: called for [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 12:19
Hey mundasingh123:

Interesting question - and, honestly, I don't think that this is anything they'll test specifically so I'm not too worried about it either way. I've reluctantly learned what "participle" and "gerund" mean over the years, but I could still answer these questions correct 99% of the time without knowing those terms/concepts 5-6 years ago because I focused on the bigger-picture errors that they explicitly do test.

In this case, I actually think that the second one is wrong and the first one is right. "Peter's winning the marathon" gives you two nouns in a row which you really can't have without a transition. You'd probably have to say that "I heard about Peter's winning OF the marathon", which is also really awkward and probably wrong, too, but you need a way to separate those two nouns.

Sentence 1...you know, if I had a choice between:

I heard about Peter winning the marathon

and

I heard that Peter won the marathon

I'd pick #2 every time. In that comparison, the first may actually be wrong because the modifier "winning the marathon" could refer to both "I" and "Peter". Did I hear about him while I was winning the marathon? Or did I hear that he won the marathon? If I had a choice that left this potential ambiguity out of the mix (like my proposed #2), I'd definitely take #2.

Now, hopefully that explanation doesn't confuse more than it clarifies, but even if it does, I think it brings up an important point about GMAT sentence correction: even the editors at the New York Times struggle with some of this nitty-gritty grammar stuff, and usually if they get to that point they'll just rewrite the sentence entirely. Simply put, it's impossible for a pre-MBA student to become perfect at "all things grammar". The best you can do is:

1) Do the things that you can get good at - the major error categories like S-V agreement, Modifiers, etc. - extremely well, and look for opportunities to use those first.

2) When you're down to a few remaining choices and it seems as though you can't use the major categories, then look at Logical Meaning and Clarity of Meaning - does the sentence make logical sense? Is there room for ambiguity and/or confusion? More often than not thinking logically is much more effective than is trying to break down sentences on a purely grammatical basis. I'd argue that using the words "gerund" or "participle" in your thought process on the verbal section is akin to multiplying a series of 3-digit numbers on the quant section - you could do it, but you're probably working too hard and overlooking an easier way (logic on the verbal; number properties on the quant).

I hope that helps...

Brian

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 12:29
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey mundasingh123:

Interesting question - and, honestly, I don't think that this is anything they'll test specifically so I'm not too worried about it either way. I've reluctantly learned what "participle" and "gerund" mean over the years, but I could still answer these questions correct 99% of the time without knowing those terms/concepts 5-6 years ago because I focused on the bigger-picture errors that they explicitly do test.

In this case, I actually think that the second one is wrong and the first one is right. "Peter's winning the marathon" gives you two nouns in a row which you really can't have without a transition. You'd probably have to say that "I heard about Peter's winning OF the marathon", which is also really awkward and probably wrong, too, but you need a way to separate those two nouns.

Sentence 1...you know, if I had a choice between:

I heard about Peter winning the marathon

and

I heard that Peter won the marathon

I'd pick #2 every time. In that comparison, the first may actually be wrong because the modifier "winning the marathon" could refer to both "I" and "Peter". Did I hear about him while I was winning the marathon? Or did I hear that he won the marathon? If I had a choice that left this potential ambiguity out of the mix (like my proposed #2), I'd definitely take #2.

Now, hopefully that explanation doesn't confuse more than it clarifies, but even if it does, I think it brings up an important point about GMAT sentence correction: even the editors at the New York Times struggle with some of this nitty-gritty grammar stuff, and usually if they get to that point they'll just rewrite the sentence entirely. Simply put, it's impossible for a pre-MBA student to become perfect at "all things grammar". The best you can do is:

1) Do the things that you can get good at - the major error categories like S-V agreement, Modifiers, etc. - extremely well, and look for opportunities to use those first.

2) When you're down to a few remaining choices and it seems as though you can't use the major categories, then look at Logical Meaning and Clarity of Meaning - does the sentence make logical sense? Is there room for ambiguity and/or confusion? More often than not thinking logically is much more effective than is trying to break down sentences on a purely grammatical basis. I'd argue that using the words "gerund" or "participle" in your thought process on the verbal section is akin to multiplying a series of 3-digit numbers on the quant section - you could do it, but you're probably working too hard and overlooking an easier way (logic on the verbal; number properties on the quant).

I hope that helps...

Hi Brian, I am concentrating on the areas that you mentioned but every now and then i face a deadend when i come across a 700 level (or anything that is tough for me ) question on the gmat club/BTG. Most of the time i am not able to bracket such questions under any of the sections that you highlighted.

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 20

Re: called for [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 13:41
I hear you...I'd just challenge you to look for ways to consider questions along these more-strategic lines and you'll get a much, much higher return-on-investment of your study time and energy that way. There IS a way to solve all valid GMAT SC questions using the big-picture error categories that you see everyone talk about on here and/or Logic/Clarity strategy. They may not admit it publicly for political reasons, but the people behind the GMAT laugh at what a mess the GRE is as a test, mainly because it focuses too much on more-or-less arbitrary "knowledge" and not enough on "reasoning". You can think your way through the GMAT...which is why it's a good test! How often in your career have you had to or been able to memorize your way out of a business situation?

So...challenge yourself to find bigger-picture ways to solve these problems. And ask for those reasons on the forums here. It may be frustrating at first, but you'll start to see that there's definite strategy to Sentence Correction.

Brian

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Brian for the tip.I will follow what you said and make sure my prep is focussed on what you have pointed out.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 09:48
Quote:
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

Answer: D

Essentially, the sentence is saying: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses... and .........clustered suburban houses

Strike one: Parallelism - it should be 'called for...and for...' --> eliminate A
Strike two: Idiom - it should be 'urban apartment houses that ...' --> eliminate C and E
Strike three: it should be '[called for] clustered suburban houses with...' --> eliminate B

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Status: Dedicated to crack GMAT and to find an admission in top B schoolm
Schools: IESE, LBS, ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: called for [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
D ... 1. that should be used

B & D --> B got another to include which is used incorrectly
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 19:29
+1 for D.

Some great tips by Brian.

Crick
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 20:33
+1 D

It is parallel.
A is confusing.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: called for [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 02:26
Good Post Mundasingh123 and good explanation Brian.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: called for [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 05:54
Good intellectual discussion :)

What is wrong with-
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for X and Y

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 02:46
hi,
c, e out because of idiot structure prep+n+participle
a í ot because of parrallel structure call for
i still got stuck with b, and d.
what s wrong with b?

mundasingh123 wrote:

E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburbanhi houses with communal eating and social facilities included

[Reveal] Spoiler: My Take
In this case we can eliminate E because it is not parallel.but had the option E only been E) to include child-care facilities , then what would have been wrong with the option
My doubt is regarding the usage of "called for "
Can we use "called for" in the following manner
The government called for the prime minister to resign
In other words, can "called for " be followed by a "to + verb ", since "to + verb " is an adverbial modifier" modifying "called " .
or
should "called for" be always followed by a noun as is the case with the SC above ?

also
if you consider the following sentence , which is correct.
my parents heard about my failing the test
I thought a preposition should link 2 nouns.so in the above case "about" should be followed by a gerund .
I think a gerund with a present participle -ing form must make use of the possessive form of the noun.
my parent heard about mine failing the test.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2012, 02:46