Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 15:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:21) correct 50% (01:17) wrong based on 0 sessions
207. Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 15:56
D would have been better I think if it had a 'which' instead of 'that'.
Any suggestions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 00:37
smjohn wrote:
D would have been better I think if it had a 'which' instead of 'that'.
Any suggestions?

I guess it's this way: which... have, that... include, with
which include/with... included causes redundancy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 04:54
D

A is out - non parallel........"call for X..........and for Y"

I've read that "to inlcude" is non-idiomatic in GMAT, but I'm not sure how far that's true.

But in this SC "to include" changes the meaning of the sentence and leads to wrong answers.

Perkins called for apartments that already had the specified facilities and did not ask for facilities to get included.

So all the answers with "to include" are out. BCE are out.

D is best.

ash

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 09:34
What is wrong with B

He called for X and for Y to include communal eating and social facilities.

What am I missing here?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Answer [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2005, 13:53
The OA is D.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 16:36
WinWinMBA wrote:
207. Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

I'm just not seeing it guys. The parallelism + Meaning is tested here but let's see each answer choice

The question stem says called for urban apartment houses... now let's analyze each answer choice

(A) including CC F and CSH including CE and SF, I think this is not the intended meaning, we should try something else.
(B) that included....and for CSH to include. These two are definetely not parallel OUT
(C) with CCF included and for CCSB to include. Not parallel again. OUT
(D) that included CCF and for CCSB with communical. This should be the correct one, but I don't see the //ism here...
(D) to include CCF and for CSH with CCE . Again not parallel. OUT

Anyone, want to try to explain why D is parallel or in any case why is it correct?

Thanks, will throw some Kudos out there.

Bumpingggg
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 08:57
Throwing a bump over here re: last post

Thanks!
Cheers!
J :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 4

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
The main parallelism occurs here: What did CPG call for? She called FOR urban apartment houses and FOR clustered suburban houses. The second FOR is important, otherwise the sentence can mean that she called for urban apartment houses that included both child care facilities and clustered suburban houses.
D maintains this parallelism.

"That included CCF" is an adjective phrase describing the Urban apartment houses. Likewise, "with communal eating and social facilities" is another phrase that describes the second parallel component, CSH. The phrase could have been, "that included communal eating and social facilities", but D still works. Note that the other options are clearly wrong, and we are looking for the best possible answer.

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2014, 09:22