Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 13:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:46) correct 33% (01:08) wrong based on 20 sessions
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 13:54
I would go with answer A for the reason of parallelism. All other 4 answer choices does not seem parallel to me.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [1] , given: 19

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
rakesh22 wrote:
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

D. llism=> for x and y.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called "for urban apartment houses that included child-care facilities" and "for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities"
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 15:43
Good eye GMAT tiger, thats convincing. I like D too. and "that" clearly specifies urban apartment houses.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 18:07
My take is also D.

For a second, Eileen 1017 reasoning appeared to be correct but after closer look my initial guess was right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 19:02
appuvar wrote:
My take is also D.

For a second, Eileen 1017 reasoning appeared to be correct but after closer look my initial guess was right.

Appuvar, what is Eilleen 1017 reasoning?

thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 19:21
called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

Eilleen reasoning was parallelism by having "Including" in both the phases that were compared.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 05:11
sharadGmat wrote:
rakesh22 wrote:

including is wrong here.

"to include" is incorrect.

"with .. " - you don't need included. also - to include is wrong.

perfect.

A satisfies parallelism for "including" as well as "for X and Y".

X = urban apartment houses including child-care facilities
Y = clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities

I don't understand how D is a better choice :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 21:04
OA is D, Not sure how we could rule out A, but D appears more idiomatic that A. Thanks guys !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 12:23
D changes the meaning completely. Hope this kind of question doesn't come in real test. :x

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 17:47
Would appreciate any explanation why A is wrong and why D is the right choice!

Never give up,,,

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
mirzohidjon wrote:
Would appreciate any explanation why A is wrong and why D is the right choice!

A is wrong because it needs a for IMO
...called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and for.....

Please give 1+ if i have helped you understand
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IEEE
WE 1: 2.5 yrs - Medicaid
WE 2: 2 yrs - Higher Ed
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 06:08
"called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities"
This means child-care facilities are a type of apartment houses. This obviously is wrong
Hence IMO D is correct
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 07:28

- distort IIism after AND
- Comma (,) before and distorts the meaning + use of Infinitive in 2nd part of sentence also distort IIism
correct - maintain IIism across AND
use of Infinitive - before in 1st part of sentence distorts the IIism
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As I understand this problem, Gilman called for two things 1. Urban houses including blah and 2. clustered rural houses including blah blah. The preposition -for–stands common for both for urban houses and rural houses. This is a perfectly acceptable construction.
Eg: I wanted to take GMAT in November, resign my services in December and join the School in January. This is quite parallel; we don’t have to say - I wanted to take GMAT in November, to resign my services in December and to join the School in January. So A might be a very good choice

Incidentally this passage is beyond the simple prepositional - for parallelism, since all the other four choices except A maintain the -for parallelism -

Let us also appreciate that she called for those two things because they were not extant then. So it is wrong to say -called for urban apartment houses that included child-care facilities -. If the urban houses already included those facilities, why will any one call for them again? The right expression should be something futuristic as - that would include childcare facilities -
That is why A might score over D, since the use of the participle -including - in A is time –neutral.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: 1000 SC, question 207 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 22:01
After going through various response I am conviced it is D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 13:41
The correct answer is D.
Reasoning:
CPG, a feminist, called for urban apartment houses that included x and for clustered sub urban houses with y.

The parts that follow the bold words play the role of describing the nouns.So we need not check them for parallelism.
Neither should we check for parallelism of main verb with modifiers or with participle phrases.

A distorts the meaning of the sentence. it makes clustered suburban houses parallel to child care facilities but not to urban apartment houses.
In the above example, it becomes CPG called for urban apartment houses that included (x) and (clustered suburban houses with y).
But the answer should be CPG called for(urban apartment houses that included x) and for (clustered suburban houses with y).

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 19:09
nevergiveup wrote:
I would go with answer A for the reason of parallelism. All other 4 answer choices does not seem parallel to me.

"including child care facility"

I thought the child care facility was part of urban housing and so urban housing should include child care facility.

This means answer choice should start with "that included"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 19:11
appuvar wrote:
My take is also D.

It is between B and D

"D" doesnt seem right because it has "with including". that doesn't make sense. My take is B
Re:   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2014, 19:11