Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cheating in Bschool?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 07:46
A new study shows that bschool students cheat more often than students enrolled in other fields of study.

http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/02/11 ... _stude.php

If this is true, why do you think students end up cheating in bschool? Will one of us end up in this category? Will we succumb to pressure?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 08:47
People will cheat, whether it's a top bschool, top law school, or a top med school.

Sometimes people can't help themselves. They will create an excuse for him/herself and cheat in order to get ahead.

Important thing is to keep yourself in check and protect your own integrity. Cheaters live with enormous guilt and pressure. It will haunt them and they will pay a price sooner or later. (IMO)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 08:54
I dont know of people who have cheated but I am sure it happens. I mean you have take home tests that are self-timed, how easy would it be to take some extra time and what are the chances of getting caught? You know you would get away with it and only you would know. I am sure people do it but its still cheating.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 09:08
Cheating happens, but it is not as rife as it was in my undergrad (where cheating was generalised). There is a bit of cheating in BS but not much. People tend to bend the rules in their favour.

To riverripper: I never understood the purpose of these home tests, or DIY tests. I know BS try to build a commuity of trust etc, but why tempt the students to cehat so much? I really don't what it accomplishes except inciting to cheat. It's like putting a great desert in front of a guy trying to lose weight: it won't make him thinner, only more frustrated.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 14:38
do you current students feel that grade non disclosure has a deterring effect on cheating ?
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 01:35
cheating happens because for some people, then ends justifies the means. The code of honour, or integrity that most MBA students sign can eb easily ignored by some people for example, take home exams, some people may work together on a couple of questions. Individual graded homework assignements were people collaborate... justified by the cheater saying to themselves. " The real world relies on teamwork, so its more realistic to ask someone for help if I can't fully work out the answer"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 09:28
bsd_lover wrote:
do you current students feel that grade non disclosure has a deterring effect on cheating ?

GND should deter cheating. I can't imagine why anyone would bother with cheating at Booth, but I'm not naive enough to think nobody does it.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 14:41
Thanks for the response burger - good to see you back in the forums :)

burger2001 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

GND should deter cheating. I can't imagine why anyone would bother with cheating at Booth, but I'm not naive enough to think nobody does it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Cheating in Bschool? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 16:01
I am not aware of any cheating at my school but I am in the executive program so the students in general are not quite as competitive as the full time students. I can't imagine any of us really thinking that it's worth it to cheat.

We have never had a take home exam (let alone a take home exam that is supposed to be timed). The only real opportunity that I can think of for cheating is to talk to another student who took the exam before you. Another possible way would be to say that you're sick so that you take the exam later and talk to another student who already took the exam.

But that would entail finding another person to collude with you and I think that's pretty tough.

I think GND reduces cheating. There's really no point because unless you're a really poor student you're probably not going to LT the class so you'll pass and you'll be fine. so why cheat?

Anyway, my point is that I don't think there's really any cheating that goes on at Wharton. Of course that's probably just me being naive but oh well.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Re: Cheating in Bschool?   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2009, 16:01