Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 928
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 08:32
There are lots of things to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1) Read the following websites -
http://www.vault.com/nr/hottopiclist.js ... at_id=2294
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Sloan-School- ... /index.htm
http://gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=41579
http://chunkypitbullmba.blogspot.com/
http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr ... at_id=2294
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ ... ustry.html




Read all the stickys in this and abt Consulting
http://gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=108

Do all the stuff from here for Cornell -
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/newstude ... _info.html
http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/newstude ... _prep.html

2) Buy laptop
Decide - IBM T60, T40, HP, Sony Viao?
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767


3) Decide on the place to live Email aaudeat on good places around Cornell University

4) Get my Resume ready

5) Network with alums from Cornell - to understand the different industries -
VC/PE, Tech Mgmt, MC/SC

I am sure I missed a lot!!!!!!!!!!

Whats on your checklist?

I am looking into developing a checklist from here and sharing with everyone...

EDIT
BTW, I spend 10 mins thinking about this.. So I am sure I missed a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 15:28
1. Resign from work
2. Find a place to live in Chicago (moved from NYC)
3. Download and listen to all podcasts from HBR, Chicago, and Wharton, as well as the "MBA Podcaster"
4. Buy a few case studies from Harvard Business Review website and work them
5. Meetings/networking with area executives (possibly land a short internship or work assignment before I start classes)
6. Put myself into massive debt via mortgage and school loans
7. Read all the books that I've been planning to read
8. Complete the "MBA Survival Kit" CDs from mba.com
9. Create a budget for the time I'm in school
10. Call up a bunch of girls that I used to know from the area to do some additional "networking"

...all I can think of right now, but there may be a couple more
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

B-School Prep [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 06:14
Artshep- I like how you think? What's your post MBA profile? Which B-School you headed too?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2007, 07:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
artshep wrote:
1. Resign from work
2. Find a place to live in Chicago (moved from NYC)
3. Download and listen to all podcasts from HBR, Chicago, and Wharton, as well as the "MBA Podcaster"
4. Buy a few case studies from Harvard Business Review website and work them
5. Meetings/networking with area executives (possibly land a short internship or work assignment before I start classes)
6. Put myself into massive debt via mortgage and school loans
7. Read all the books that I've been planning to read
8. Complete the "MBA Survival Kit" CDs from mba.com
9. Create a budget for the time I'm in school
10. Call up a bunch of girls that I used to know from the area to do some additional "networking"

...all I can think of right now, but there may be a couple more


rob a bank to pay for school
Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: Darden,UNC,Tuck,Tepper,Emory
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 03:15
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
artshep wrote:
1. Resign from work
2. Find a place to live in Chicago (moved from NYC)
3. Download and listen to all podcasts from HBR, Chicago, and Wharton, as well as the "MBA Podcaster"
4. Buy a few case studies from Harvard Business Review website and work them
5. Meetings/networking with area executives (possibly land a short internship or work assignment before I start classes)
6. Put myself into massive debt via mortgage and school loans
7. Read all the books that I've been planning to read
8. Complete the "MBA Survival Kit" CDs from mba.com
9. Create a budget for the time I'm in school
10. Call up a bunch of girls that I used to know from the area to do some additional "networking"

...all I can think of right now, but there may be a couple more


rob a bank to pay for school

LMAO!!
Current Student
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 332
Location: NYC
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2013
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 06:54
Bench my Mac and get a PC....have no idea what to buy!!!

Oh, and figure out SEPTA
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 19:14
I'm surprised that taking time off to travel isn't on this list. When I talk to classmates, this is the *one* thing that really makes for an outstanding summer before starting school. All the prep is great, but do remember to take time off for yourself.
_________________


http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief


Intern
Intern
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: Darden,UNC,Tuck,Tepper,Emory
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 21:15
I agree .. My friend at ross took a break to travel the length n breadth of india before he began school.. I plan to chill in goa at least for a few days before I go to school.. But that's just wishful thinking on my part

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 152
Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 19:50
Guys, everyone's at the same level as you before going to school. Take time to chill. You'll have enough MBA stuff to hate when you're at school. There's no point to doing all this prep work before going to school.

If you come refreshed, it'll do you a lot more good than learning stuff on your own. Why pay to learn something on your own before paying 100-200k to learn it from a teacher?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 02:12
When do most people quit their job? Do you allow yourself 2 weeks or 2 months to relax?

I am really tempted to quit my job around May and travel, but then some extra cash would still be nice... :?
Current Student
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 332
Location: NYC
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2013
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 13:54
nonconformist wrote:
When do most people quit their job? Do you allow yourself 2 weeks or 2 months to relax?

I am really tempted to quit my job around May and travel, but then some extra cash would still be nice... :?

how about the day after my bonus check clears in June....
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:18
What a lot of students fail to do -

Actually run a calculation of monthly interest that will accrue every month while in school. Some people finance their education entirely on debt, and when you actually start seeing how much interest accrues every month (and adds to your balance - assuming you won't be making payment on unsubsidized and private interest payments).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 26
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 16:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
After I have a good picture of my financials I'm personally taking the maximum amount of vacation time my bank account can bear, even if I end up little bit extra in loans as a result. A recurring regret I hear when talking with current students and alums is they didn't take as much vacation as they would have liked. Bschool does afford some travel, but it isn't quite on your own terms.

I look at it this way, you'll spend the next 2 years getting your degree and the next few afterward establishing yourself in your new position / industry. Now is one of those rare occasions when you can afford to bear the "risk" of traveling for an extended period of time.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Posts: 43
Schools: Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 20:47
I've heard the same thing as BlackSwan regarding vacation time.

Only question is how much is "enough" I am thinking 2 months would be good to unwind!
Current Student
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 332
Location: NYC
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2013
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 05:15
I get my bonus June 30 and that will be my last day...have to be in Philly for pre-term on Aug 1...but classes start towards the end of August...would that qualify as "enough"?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2011, 14:22
nink wrote:
What a lot of students fail to do -

Actually run a calculation of monthly interest that will accrue every month while in school. Some people finance their education entirely on debt, and when you actually start seeing how much interest accrues every month (and adds to your balance - assuming you won't be making payment on unsubsidized and private interest payments).


Why in the world would anybody want to do that???
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 202
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 70

GMAT Tests User
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 18:10
Very good thread.
Re: Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2011, 18:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Round 2 – Key Best Practices/ Things-to-Do Before Deadlines ShellyLWatts 0 15 Dec 2010, 13:19
New posts things to do before and after your classes start sunshinewhole 2 31 May 2013, 04:38
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 5 things to do before you hit SUBMIT! JonAdmissionado 1 21 Jul 2013, 09:42
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic 5 things to do BEFORE leaving your summer internship bb 0 12 Aug 2013, 09:06
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Things to do during the beginning/instructions and breaks farful 3 03 Oct 2013, 05:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Checklist for things to do before we begin MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.