Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world [#permalink]
Expert Reply
amargad0391 wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

(A) are efficient, so that the water does not overflow on the land; otherwise,

(B) are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; were it to do so,

(C) so efficient that the water does not overflow on the land, or else

(D ) efficient, so that the water does not overflow on the land, or

(D) efficient so that the water does not only overflow the land; if it did

Hi Guys,

Can any of you tell me in the correct answer choice option B " were it to do so" , 'it' is referring back to which noun (land or water).
As per my understanding the pronoun must refer back to immediate preceding noun. Please correct me where am i going wrong.

Thanks
Amaresh

Please refer to this post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/cherapunji-r ... l#p1818201
Re: Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
amargad0391 wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world, yet the agriculture is so fertile and the water reservoirs are efficient, so that the water does not overflow the land; otherwise, the level of surface water would rise unexpectedly and flood most of the state’s renowned towns.

(B) are so efficient that the water does not overflow the land; were it to do so,

Hi Guys,

Can any of you tell me in the correct answer choice option B " were it to do so" , 'it' is referring back to which noun (land or water).
As per my understanding the pronoun must refer back to immediate preceding noun. Please correct me where am i going wrong.

Thanks
Amaresh

Please refer to this post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/cherapunji-r ... l#p1818201

Can I have a response in the following link brother?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/cherapunji-r ... l#p1827024
Thank you...
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Hi Expert,
I've a curiosity about the red part. In the red part, it has been written that ''Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world''. I can simply write the above part as below.
x receives more rainfalls than y.
Is it:
--->(1) x receives more rainfalls than x receives y?
or, ---> (2) x receives more rainfalls than WHAT y receives?
Definitely the original sentence indicates the second one. right?
So, I think, there must have a verb for any other site of the world. The correct sentence must be like below.
''Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than DOES any other site of the world''.
What's your opinion honorable expert?
Thank you...

"Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than (Cheranpunji receives) any other sites."... this sentence does not make sense. The only possible meaningful construction is:
"Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other sites (receive rainfalls)."
Hence omission is alright.

However in the following case omission would not be allowed:
I like chocolates more than Madhu.
Both the following constructions make sense:
I like chocolates more than (I like) Madhu.
I like chocolates more than Madhu (likes chocolates).
Hence in this case omission makes the sentence ambiguous.

HaHaHa. Brother, I mistakenly used the word DOES in the wrong place. The use of DOES should be fixed after the word 'world'.
Here is my example below about to fix the sentence.
I love GMAT more than sayantanc2k.
The above sentence is wrong. This one can be fixed by 2 ways like below.
1/ I love GMAT more than I love sayantanc2k.
or,
2/ I love GMAT more than sayantanc2k DOES.
The original question says:
Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world.
This sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
So, this sentence must be fixed by the following 2 ways.
1/ Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than Cherapunji receives any other site of the world. ---->But, unfortunately this sentence doesn't make any sense according the original sentence!
or,
2/ Cherapunji receives more rainfalls than any other site of the world DOES.
Am I right my honorable expert?
Thank you...

You are right in that the sentence 1 does not make sense and the sentence 2 does. Therefore omission IS ACCEPTABLE because the meaning is not ambiguous in this case. If both made sense, then the meaning would be ambiguous, and then omission would NOT BE ACCEPTABLE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
This question is a blatant copy of the official question, which can be found here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/antarctica-receives-more-solar-radiation-than-does-any-other-place-on-201871.html

Option C is incorrect because it is not parallel. On one hand, we have a full S/V clause = "the agriculture is so fertile"; however, on an another hand, we have clause with no verb = "the water reservoirs so efficient". Hence, why option C is incorrect and B is correct. For more information, please feel free to check the link that I posted above.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618867 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bluelagoon wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This question talks about Cherapunji, an actual region in India, that gets a lot of rainfall. The middle portion of the sentence is underlined, but it is important to pay close attention to the few words leading up to the underlnied portion of the sentence.

Notice the keyword "and" and the use of "so" before that keyword. This is a big clue as to what's going on in the sentence.

Meaning-wise, the sentence is saying this region has a lot of rainfall so the area gets pretty wet. It suggests that the area would normally get flooded because of so much rain. But by using the words "yet" - the author tells you that although you might think the place floods a lot - it actually doesn't because of two reasons.

One is that the agriculture is very fertile. So listing this one as a reason implies that the fertility of agriculture has something to do with its ability to reduce the amount of water in the area.

The second reason is the efficiency of the water reservoirs in reducing the presence of water. Without these two reasons, the author suggests what could or might happen by using the word "otherwise." Whether "otherwise" is the right way to phrase it is up to you to decide based on the available choices.

source: GMAT Pill
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
so placement after effecienct isn't appropriate

exact le us hang on to it

so placement isn't appropriate

same problem as a and the comma brings ina distorted meaning

it means as though there is another possiblity '
Hence IMO B

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts