Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 4

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
Got the acceptance call about 30 minutes ago...my head is still spinning!!! I had all but given up hope. Hang in there guys, be hopeful of more good news calls going out today :)
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 6

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
Likewise, Brandon and Pitpat. Good luck to you both, and hope to see you in Chicago!

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!! That feels like none other. Booth here I come!!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call...wow. Not sure what to do about Ross now since I'm already enrolled. Any advice?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
finmaster wrote:
In for R1.

That is a seriously monster list of schools you are applying to. 10? I went for six last round, and by the time I sent in my last app in R2 on Jan 4th, I really thought I would have killed myself if I had to do even one more. My fear is that you will spread yourself too thin and end up submitting 10 mediocre apps rather than 5 great apps, and given that none of the schools you've chosen leave any room or margin for error, that could be disastrous. I told myself at first that I could basically reuse elements of my first essays in later schools, but after hours and hours of wasted effort, I realized that even though the questions are similar, the type of answer each school is looking for and the type of answer that appeals to each school's different culture and values are completely different. I eventually realized the error of my ways, and decided to write my R2 apps (including Booth) each with a fresh start, and I found it resulted in much better feedback from schools (1 admit 1 waitlist, as opposed to 1 admit 3 ding R1). But that also means a lot of time will be spent separately writing each essay, getting them read over by your friends...

Which brings me to reason #2 not to apply to 10 schools. Are you really going to be able to get 20 recommendation letters? If so...more props to you I suppose, you must have a lot of seriously pleased supervisors in your work history. Asking two recommenders to write 10 essays each though...well that's gonna result in the same problem that your essays will, in that they will just write mediocre recs because they get so damn tired of the process.

I still 100% encourage you to apply to Booth though, because it's the best :lol:

Edit: just realized you have nine schools in your list, not ten...my bad!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
NonYankee wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
You have an equal chance of receiving aid in both R1 and R2. I think the biggest benefit to R1 at Booth is getting it done sooner. In terms of competitiveness I look at the rounds like this:
1) R1 - fewer applicants and all of the seats in the class are open. However, R1 applicants tend to be very strong as a whole.
2) R2 - most applicants in this round, many seats still left in the class. More applicants may dilute the quality of the pool so you may not be up against every superstar who ever walked the planet
3) R3 - fewest applicants, but the class is nearly full. Adcoms looking for rockstars and needed diversity (industry, function, ethnicity, career goals, etc.) to round out the class. Chances for financial aid greatly diminish.

Thanks! I think I've also heard that R1 applicants who aren't promptly admitted might be rolled over into the R2 pool and later admitted.

By the way, I told you this a long time ago, but I still love your blog. I've spent the past two days catching up on it. Did anything happen with the MBA Jumpstart program?

Yes R1 candidates who aren't admitted in R1 can be waitlisted. They are then considered with applicants from the next round. However, this isn't unique to R1. R2 and R3 applicants can be waitlisted as well. There are some people on the summer WL now who have been there since R1, while some R2 waitlisters have already been admitted. It's not 1st on/1st off type of deal.
Thanks for the compliment. MBA Jumpstart is next week. We'll see how it goes.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
BStand wrote:
Powerpoint optional!!! What?!?

I loved the Powerpoint. I'm sure there will be all kind of strategy this year around whether to go with PPT or a 600-word essay. I personally think the PPT showed the adcom that you were willing to take extra time/effort to apply to Booth since you couldn't just recycle another essay.

Couldn't agree more!!

(Completely unrelated - I just observed that we're going to be in the same class and we joined GC on the same day!! What are the odds! :D)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
scorpionz wrote:
Oh wow! The presentation is optional from this year??!! Quite a change!

I saw that too! I felt that the presentation was sooo Booth. I hope the majority of applicants still opt to do it. I know that the presentation was my favorite "essay" across all the schools I applied to. #LONGLIVETHEPOWERPOINT

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
mappleby wrote:
Less than a month until Rd 1 deadline and it's pretty quiet in here. I'm working on my essays now, applying ED to Columbia so that took my main focus but now that it is done I'm moving on to Booth. For the first essay is it worth talking about the flexible curriculum or is that one of those things that is taken for granted(like being in NYC as a plus for CBS is rather obvious and not worth taking up space in the essay to mention).

The flexible curriculum should definitely be mentioned in essay 1. It's one of the cornerstones of what makes Booth, Booth. However, you can't just include it in a throw away statement. Your goal in this essay is to show your fit with Booth. You need to show why the flexible curriculum is something that you need and want in your MBA studies. You also have to understand what the flexible curriculum really means. It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which subjects to take. Understand how the flexible curriculum fits into your skillset and goals and communicate that in essay 1. Hope this helps.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
Booth ranked no. 1 in the latest (and rather quirky) 'The Economist ' rankings! Cheers to that.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
In case you all are wondering, the admissions office just posted a blog update about how round 1 will move forward.

Highlights:
Interview Invitations will be released at 9:00 AM CST on October 31st and applicants will see "Invited to Interview" or "Denied" on the online application system.
Interviews will take place Nov 5 - Nov 30 Monday through Friday on campus. Saturday, November 17th will also be an on campus interview date.
Select dates are available at the Booth campus in Beijing and London.
Off-Campus Alumni interviews can be arranged.

Check out the Booth Insider Blog for more details!

Thanks..

A link for others who are interested:
http://forums.chicagobooth.edu/n/blogs/ ... r&entry=71
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
And that is why you should not keep reviewing your application after it's been submitted. You will only find things you want to change and drive yourself crazy. In the grand scheme of things it might be a bigger issue to YOU than it is the to the admissions committee, who may find what you already submitted to be more than adequate.

Let it go and try not to stress out til interview invite day.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
astrochris wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
Less than ~2 days to go... people think all invites will be email versus all dings online?

I think it should be the same format, operationally it would be a pain to differentiate. Does anyone know how it happened last year?

Last year emails were sent either way. The subject line read, "Your Chicago Booth Application Status." Interview invites were in the body of the email with a link back to the app status page which has a status update link with directions for setting up an interview. If you are not being invited to interview I don't know if that is communicated in the email or if you're directed to the app status page to find out your fate. A lot of people didn't wait for emails. They just checked for status updates ad nauseum. I don't believe Booth waitlists people without an interview, so it will either be an invite or denial. HTH.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
If we are to get invited, do you think it makes a difference whether we interview on campus or off? I'm within 6 hours of Chicago driving, but already visited campus and sat in on a class. Obviously, interviewing with an alum in my city would be easier, but I would go to Chicago if it would be better for my application...
Thoughts?

Interviewing on campus or off campus doesn't make a bit of difference, especially if you've already visited. Last year I visited in November and interviewed off campus with an alum in February.

There isn't any trick to this. Since both options are available both give you an equal shot at admission (or rejection). Booth does recommend interviewing on campus if you have yet to visit, but that's so you can do the campus visit program in conjunction with the interview. Visiting the school is for your benefit, not Booth's. If you already visited then there's no need to make an additional trip here unless you just can't get enough of the free beer and appetizers at LPF.

astrochris wrote:
Thanks! Is there a specific time at which they will release all the decisions? (a.k.a. time we should start refreshing the updates)

Didn't Booth send a communication stating that interview decisions would be released on 10/31 @ 9 a.m. CST? That's when I assume the emails will go out. I am sure people will start checking their statuses before then to see if they can find something out prior to the email release.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 13

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
fcbr2015 wrote:
This is from the Full Time MBA FAQ:

Q
How will I know when you receive my official GMAT or GRE scores?

A
You can check the status in the online application system. However, it may take a significant amount time for your application to be updated with the verified scores. If we are missing your scores prior to admission, the processing team will contact you directly.

well, they say "prior to admission", so I think we are fine.

Initially they look at the GMAT you self-reported - they only audit later on the in the process!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with tomorrow's mid-decision. As a re-applicant I have had a long journey. I believe I have a shot at another interview, though if I am rejected there will be no tears this time.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Got my invite. I'm a re-applicant and I think my interview request was submitted just fine on the website even though I got the email that the Admissions Office is working on some system fixes (for re-applicants).

I guess, I'll just wait for 48 hours for now. Any other re-applicant submitted their request?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 31

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
I got an invite!!!!!!!! Had the crappiest week last week with hbs and CBS dings on wed and thurs - was in a state of semi depression for the weekend so this a huge relief.

I was in a client meeting w no signal so had to wait until 9:45 to Check!!! I was on the edge of my seat.

Two yrs of hard work and flat out dings left me wondering if it was just a waste of time. Feeling more confident now. I needed this :-)

Good luck to every one.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
elbie wrote:
If I have already visited campus, will it matter if I interview off campus? I think it is not supposed to matter, but the tone of the email is making me reconsider. Thoughts?

Hi elbie,
Please believe me when I tell you that it does NOT matter if you interview on campus or off, especially if you have already visited. Booth encourages on campus interviews for those who have not visited the school so that they can get a chance to do so while they are there to interview.

This isn't a trick and there isn't a right or wrong answer. You will hear the advantages and disadvantages of both on campus and off campus interviews depending on who you ask. There is no one size fits all answer. People have had great alumni interviews and terrible adcom interviews and vice versa. There is no way to predict it. You could go on campus and get interviewed by a 2nd year student to whom you don't connect at all. Then you'll come back to GC and read all these stories of alumni interviews that were more like a 90 minute gabfest with a friend. Or you could interview with an alum who makes you feel like you're in front of a firing squad and wish you'd done a simple 30 minute interview with an adcom.

I know that this process is nerve wracking and you want to ensure the best outcome possible. However, in this case there is not a right or wrong answer. My roommate and I both visited campus prior to our invites and chose to interview off campus. I have other friends who came back twice and others who didn't come to campus until admit weekend. We are all Boothies now. There is no secret advantage to coming back on campus for an interview. Save the trip for Admit Weekend :-D

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
realdezlee wrote:
Hi guys,
I was denied now in R1 without interview when I was interviewed and waitlisted last year in R3 (7 months ago). Does this seem strange only for me? Is anyone in the same situation? Thank you for your comments.

Sorry to say, but no it doesn't seem strange. Last year I remember several reapplicants who had been waitlisted the prior year and were denied without interview in R1. Each application year is different and you can't assume that this year will simply be a continuation of last year. The applicant pool is different. Plus, when you're WL through the summer it's very difficult to show improvement in your profile between the WL and next year's R1. Unfortunately being WL in one year isn't a guarantee that you're on deck for the next one. I'm sorry I don't have a concrete explanation for you, but just know that you aren't the only person who has been in this situation.

I sincerely wish you the best for your remaining applications.

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2012, 10:44