Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 00:19
rocky312 wrote:
aerien wrote:
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.



i've been through this during the job interview process but never heard of it happening during b-school interviews. as the other posters have mentioned, it is bad for business. i mean you don't want to drive students away.


Just curious Rocky312, what was it that turned you off Booth? The interviewer's behavior or the things he said about Booth?
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 39
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 09:32
Prudence wrote:
rocky312 wrote:
aerien wrote:
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.



i've been through this during the job interview process but never heard of it happening during b-school interviews. as the other posters have mentioned, it is bad for business. i mean you don't want to drive students away.


Just curious Rocky312, what was it that turned you off Booth? The interviewer's behavior or the things he said about Booth?



The interviewer's behaviour. I mean do I really want to attend a school with alumni like these? I understand that this can be a one-off case but it hardly left me with a positive impression of the school and their alumni.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 12:26
Recently had an off-campus interview with a Booth alum in my city. It was a great, low-pressure conversation, and actually helped reinvigorate my interest in the program after thinking I would certainly accept Columbia's recent offer. He spoke highly of his entire time there. We talked for almost an hour. He didn't take any notes nor ask any of the boilerplate questions, but said he would immediately go write a positive evaluation based on our discussion. Holding out to see what happens before sending in a CBS deposit.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 02:48
aditya2789 wrote:
Hey guys,

Just got done with my interview today. It was with an alumnus who now runs his own software company here in Chennai.

It was quite short (20 mins) - I hope that's not a bad sign, since the average is around 45 mins as far as I know.

He first started off by introducing himself, told me about his profile, what he does now and why he chose Booth.
The questions were (not in the same order):
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why MBA?
3. Why Booth?
4. What are some of the challenges you face at work?
5. How does it feel when older people report to you?
6. How I am involved in the community, and when I replied that I don't really have the time to be actively involved, he asked me what I would like to do if I had the time.

I then asked him a couple of questions, and it all ended in like 20 mins! Now it's the wait!!



I have had 2 very contrasting interviews with alumni.
Kellogg - Very short 15 mins, but direct acknowledgement from the interviewer that I fit into the program.
Booth - 1.5 hours interview, very neutral reaction from the interviewer.

No idea how the length of the interview matters! We shall see once the decisions are announced ...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 12:01
Traveled to Booth yesterday to interview on campus. Questions were fairly standard - Why MBA, why Booth, what makes a good leader, what kind of leader are you, etc. My interview was nice and very conversational. We ended up talking about wine country in California and went off on other tangents like that. There has been some discussion in previous posts about how much the Booth interview matters, but does anyone have more clarity on this? Is Booth like Michigan where they generally have a plan for each applicant going into the interview (ie they are fairly sure an applicant is in the waitlist pool)?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Poor but happy
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 20:51
ldryan wrote:
Traveled to Booth yesterday to interview on campus. Questions were fairly standard - Why MBA, why Booth, what makes a good leader, what kind of leader are you, etc. My interview was nice and very conversational. We ended up talking about wine country in California and went off on other tangents like that. There has been some discussion in previous posts about how much the Booth interview matters, but does anyone have more clarity on this? Is Booth like Michigan where they generally have a plan for each applicant going into the interview (ie they are fairly sure an applicant is in the waitlist pool)?


In the case of Booth, once the interview is done, the entire application along with the interview report goes to a different admissions director for an independent evaluation. So I don't think they form opinions of the candidates before the interview.
Source: Interview with Kurt Ahlm, PoetsandQuants
_________________

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 23:13
Done with my intvw, with a very senior alum in Mumbai. Was very conversational & he hardly asked any questions except - Tell me about urself, Why MBA & Why Booth, Which other Schools you applied to. The last question is pretty mandatory I think for Booth. Not even the Goals questions :)

Lets wait now.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 65
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 00:50
Is booth R3 friendly? I am considering applying and would love to know if anyone else is considering applying or has applied previously successfully to Booth in R3. Also. how does the school view alum recommendations?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 158
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 40

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 06:35
rocky312 wrote:
The interviewer's behaviour. I mean do I really want to attend a school with alumni like these? I understand that this can be a one-off case but it hardly left me with a positive impression of the school and their alumni.


Rocky312, I'm sorry to hear about your bad interview experience. I can imagine that it would leave you with a bad feeling about Booth. Just keep in mind that ALL schools will have alumni like this. Take Harvard, for an example. Sandy is a prominent admissions consultant for Harvard and frequently writes columns on PoetsandQuants.com. Take a look at the bolded information:
http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/17/ho ... rview-2/4/

"Sandy, what’s the best kind of interviewer an applicant can have?
If you can help it, you’ll always be better off with an interviewer with a lot of experience because they are less likely to make oddball judgments. You want a normative interviewer, someone who knows the standards and who has been through it a million times. Alumni often have a chip on their shoulders. They may have issues with the school that can get projected in the interview. They may want to use you to deliver a message to the school, or they could have a prejudice against people who are in Teach For America or other non-profits. That happens a lot. And some alumni interviews can go on for more than an hour. They’re just so much more unpredictable."

I don't want to make it seem like I don't sympathize with your situation, I do. It really sucks. But just know that these types of things can happen at any school, even Harvard.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1083
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 07:16
Truegmat wrote:
There was a live chat today to discuss the consulting carriers at Chicago booth, did anybody joined that?


here is the transcript URL: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/fu ... 2013-02-28
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 53
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:26
I'm supposed to have my interview Wednesday morning and will be flying in from the west coast Tuesday night. Been checking the weather report constantly and Tuesday is now at 100% snow with accumulation of 4-6 inches...oyyy
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:45
Expert's post
dman25 wrote:
I'm supposed to have my interview Wednesday morning and will be flying in from the west coast Tuesday night. Been checking the weather report constantly and Tuesday is now at 100% snow with accumulation of 4-6 inches...oyyy


Definitely keep on top of the weather updates. Hopefully you have some extra time built in in case of flight delays...and if your flight gets canceled (not sure how bad the storm will be), you'll be able to reschedule the interview. Good luck!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 316
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:29
aerien wrote:
dman25 wrote:
I'm supposed to have my interview Wednesday morning and will be flying in from the west coast Tuesday night. Been checking the weather report constantly and Tuesday is now at 100% snow with accumulation of 4-6 inches...oyyy


Definitely keep on top of the weather updates. Hopefully you have some extra time built in in case of flight delays...and if your flight gets canceled (not sure how bad the storm will be), you'll be able to reschedule the interview. Good luck!


+1 on that. My flight was canceled twice causing me to miss my interview time slot. However, I informed the admissions committee of the weather conditions / delays and they were very accommodating in rescheduling my interview.
Just keep the admissions office updated about your possible delay a day or so before your interview.
_________________

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 20:51
jumsumtak wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
There was a live chat today to discuss the consulting carriers at Chicago booth, did anybody joined that?


here is the transcript URL: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/fu ... 2013-02-28

Thanks man
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 04:04
Expert's post
Zynga wrote:
aerien wrote:
dman25 wrote:
I'm supposed to have my interview Wednesday morning and will be flying in from the west coast Tuesday night. Been checking the weather report constantly and Tuesday is now at 100% snow with accumulation of 4-6 inches...oyyy


Definitely keep on top of the weather updates. Hopefully you have some extra time built in in case of flight delays...and if your flight gets canceled (not sure how bad the storm will be), you'll be able to reschedule the interview. Good luck!


+1 on that. My flight was canceled twice causing me to miss my interview time slot. However, I informed the admissions committee of the weather conditions / delays and they were very accommodating in rescheduling my interview.
Just keep the admissions office updated about your possible delay a day or so before your interview.


1000 flights at Ohare cancelled this morning. Good luck to all the interviewees trying to get in and out of Chicago over the next few days!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 53
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:21
Still On Schedule...for now. My coworkers are taking bets on whether I'll make it or not.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
I had to cancel my on campus interview due to the weather. My flight was cancelled this morning. The admissions office was very accommodating, however, I had to reschedule with an alumni because all the on campus interviews are booked until Saturday (March 9th - last day of interviews). No slots open. I'm still a strong believer that an on campus interview is looked at more favorably than an alumni interview but oh well can't predict mother nature!

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 33
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 16:01
We all got introduced to the Chicago weather this year. Hopefully things work out for the best for everyone.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 47
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 19:59
joe563 wrote:
I had to cancel my on campus interview due to the weather. My flight was cancelled this morning. The admissions office was very accommodating, however, I had to reschedule with an alumni because all the on campus interviews are booked until Saturday (March 9th - last day of interviews). No slots open. I'm still a strong believer that an on campus interview is looked at more favorably than an alumni interview but oh well can't predict mother nature!

Good luck to everyone!


Sorry to hear but I feel ya! I'm supposed to fly in from New York on Friday for the Saturday interview, which should be fine if the storm touches NYC tomorrow and goes by Thurs as forecasted. Still I'm dreading the possibility my flight may be canceled and I'll have to reschedule my interview and day off from work... already running out of lame excuses. I don't think on-campus interview is necessarily looked upon more favorably than alumni interview but I do appreciate that on-campus interviews tend to be a "safer" bet than alumni interviews which can be a hit or miss depending on your luck with the interviewer. Hope you get a good one!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 07:46
rocky312 wrote:
aerien wrote:
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.



i've been through this during the job interview process but never heard of it happening during b-school interviews. as the other posters have mentioned, it is bad for business. i mean you don't want to drive students away.


My gut is don't contact AdCom about this until after you get the decision. I just find it unlikely that they will a) rectify this before your admissions decision somehow and b) have that reflect positively on you. At best it won't hurt your chances.
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2013, 07:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
427 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 Narenn 1418 21 Apr 2013, 03:20
532 Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants ak2012 1669 21 Mar 2012, 06:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago Booth Part time 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 35 14 Feb 2013, 19:56
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants LongestWaitEVER 162 19 Dec 2012, 09:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  49   50   51   52   53   54   55  ...  84    Next  [ 1670 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.