Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 11:34
cheetarah1980 wrote:
businessschool2015 wrote:
So I recently was admitted from the waitlist to Booth. I was also admitted to Kellogg with a scholarship ($20k/year).

My goal is to go into private equity, with a backup plan of consulting/corporate strategy. I'm leaning towards Kellogg because I think I'd enjoy my time there more and the scholarship money is a nice boost (Booth wasn't able to offer me anything). I think Booth probably has the edge in academics and rankings which is why I'm considering there instead.

What do you think is a better option for me at this point?

You'll do fine either way. PE recruiting is mostly off-campus anyways so there's not a ton of on campus recruitment at any school and even the firms that do recruit/interview on campus don't hire en mass. If you're really in a conundrum check out the alumni directory of both schools. You can start to get an idea of where alums are working and if that aligns with the industry and jobs you're seeking then that could help you decide. If both schools come out of that exercise still equal then go where you'll get the MBA experience that you want.

good point on that PE recruiting is done off campus and follows a completely different schedule than IB/consulting recruiting.

but i would disagree on making a case for which one to attend based on alums though - you don't know the background of many of them. they could have already gotten a job offer from their previous firms before b-school, etc. too much analysis with bad/imperfect info = no analysis.

for example: let's assume that there are more PE offers at X. many people who want to go into PE are choosing X over Y, so there should be more PE-focused people at X. competition goes up and you're 1 of 200 going for 100 offers. then you consider Y, where less people go for PE. you're then 1 of 50 going for 30 offers. the odds are obviously made up and can be anything - you'll never get that info especially since you don't know what your class looks like.

hell, your classmates' career goals or even yours may change. hakuna matoto.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 68

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
For those not following the WL thread, a few more dings and the the summer WL email came out today. I'm one of the fortunate ones, I guess.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 12:45
brandon432 wrote:
For those not following the WL thread, a few more dings and the the summer WL email came out today. I'm one of the fortunate ones, I guess.

Same here. I didn't realize that i cld have gotten the ding today. I thought the summer wls email i got was a formality! wow. Well, we are the last, the few, and the lucky ones I guess.

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 07:05
VoyagerII wrote:
brandon432 wrote:

Same here. I didn't realize that i cld have gotten the ding today. I thought the summer wls email i got was a formality! wow. Well, we are the last, the few, and the lucky ones I guess.

Hi r u American?
I think only international applicants got the ding.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 68

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 07:22
gmatgirl6 wrote:

Hi r u American?

Yes, I am American.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 08:01
I am international and I got dinged yesterday.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 09:49
gmatgirl6 wrote:

Hi r u American?

Domestic, but with international stripes ( neither a permanent resident or an F1 visa student). I don't know what Booth considers me as. Ross put me in with the international crowd.

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 20:03
tofu199 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
businessschool2015 wrote:
So I recently was admitted from the waitlist to Booth. I was also admitted to Kellogg with a scholarship ($20k/year).

My goal is to go into private equity, with a backup plan of consulting/corporate strategy. I'm leaning towards Kellogg because I think I'd enjoy my time there more and the scholarship money is a nice boost (Booth wasn't able to offer me anything). I think Booth probably has the edge in academics and rankings which is why I'm considering there instead.

What do you think is a better option for me at this point?

You'll do fine either way. PE recruiting is mostly off-campus anyways so there's not a ton of on campus recruitment at any school and even the firms that do recruit/interview on campus don't hire en mass. If you're really in a conundrum check out the alumni directory of both schools. You can start to get an idea of where alums are working and if that aligns with the industry and jobs you're seeking then that could help you decide. If both schools come out of that exercise still equal then go where you'll get the MBA experience that you want.

good point on that PE recruiting is done off campus and follows a completely different schedule than IB/consulting recruiting.

but i would disagree on making a case for which one to attend based on alums though - you don't know the background of many of them. they could have already gotten a job offer from their previous firms before b-school, etc. too much analysis with bad/imperfect info = no analysis.

for example: let's assume that there are more PE offers at X. many people who want to go into PE are choosing X over Y, so there should be more PE-focused people at X. competition goes up and you're 1 of 200 going for 100 offers. then you consider Y, where less people go for PE. you're then 1 of 50 going for 30 offers. the odds are obviously made up and can be anything - you'll never get that info especially since you don't know what your class looks like.

hell, your classmates' career goals or even yours may change. hakuna matoto.

The reason I said to look at where the alums are isn't to gauge how strong recruiting is for a specific field. It's for actually networking with those alums to learn more about the industry/function and hopefully get put onto some good job opportunities. You're right about not knowing if people in PE were able to get those jobs as career switchers. But from what I've seen most of my classmates who got jobs in PE/VC/IM did a lot of networking to get them and having alums from your school at the companies you may want to work at helps in at least getting that first point of contact. Hope that clears up what I was getting at.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 13:53
Still on the waitlist, myself. (American.) What are you guys doing? Staying on? Dropping off? Try again? Go to a different school?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 68

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 07:02
Hanging on until the bitter end and lining up some temp housing in Ann Arbor that I could move to (or back out of) quickly.
Current Student
Schools: Booth '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 40

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 07:21
brandon432 wrote:
Hanging on until the bitter end and lining up some temp housing in Ann Arbor that I could move to (or back out of) quickly.

That's dedication -- good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
Brandon432 I'm in the same boat as you...

brandon432 wrote:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 6

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
Likewise, Brandon and Pitpat. Good luck to you both, and hope to see you in Chicago!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 11:06
Hello guys. I got an email from Booth about employment verification by Re Vera Services. I have a couple of questions for you guys:)

1. I checked my Booth application and only the contact information from my two recommendations were there. How could Re Vera get the contact information of other companies that i worked for? Or Re Vera only checks with the two recommendations?

2. This is for people who are from non-English speaking countries. The people of a small company I worked for do not speak English. Does anyone know whether Re Vera going to call or email to verify employment history? If they call, how do Re Vera deal with language barriers? They have different people (who speak the language) in charge of each different country? I am worried if they call my company and the HR dont speak much English...So worried now:)

Thank you in advance for your answer. Enjoy your summer.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call at about 12:30 EST today. I'm in! Good luck to everyone who's still on the waitlist--and for those who have accepted, looking forward to meeting you soon!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!! That feels like none other. Booth here I come!!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 08:05
Congrats, Chitownbound! Look forward to meeting you soon! It's surreal, isn't it? I was shaking for a good hour and wasn't able to sleep at all last night. Hope the rest of you get calls soon, too!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 68

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome. I really am stoked for you two. Let's keep the hits coming.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to both erosey and Chitownbound! Excited for the two of you. I hope they keep calling more folks.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call...wow. Not sure what to do about Ross now since I'm already enrolled. Any advice?
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2013, 11:50