Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
CMG wrote:
Just submitted my app, but was 1 minute late. There was some problem with my credit card :-(

Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable ?

I was exactly 1 min late..

Thanks!

Even I had a problem with my credit card. But I was 7 minutes early!

I don't think it'll be an issue. I guess you can mail up the AdCom to be safe.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
CMG wrote:
Just submitted my app, but was 1 minute late. There was some problem with my credit card :-(

Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable ?

I was exactly 1 min late..

Thanks!

Take a look at the Yale thread, I'm in a similar situation. Since these two schools use EXACTLY the same online application system, I think you may be OK if you were logged in before the deadline. Check what your app review pdf says and also log out and log back into the system to see the status of your app. If both say R2 (as is the case in my Yale app) I think (hope) we're both OK. :)
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck in Round 2 everyone! Congrats on all of your hard work thus far.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:

Bro, I feel you. Exactly the same here. To be honest, I'm kind of at loose ends now that I *only* have my job and my regular activities.

Wow, that's 100% what I feel!
14 long months of GMAT-Wedding-GMAT-ApplicationsX5 have ended with Chicago application submitted.

It will take me some time to relax, being geared up for such a lobg time. Damn, I spent some of my honeymoon writing essays at a mexican beach.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Your wife is a supportive saint.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:

Bro, I feel you. Exactly the same here. To be honest, I'm kind of at loose ends now that I *only* have my job and my regular activities.

Wow, that's 100% what I feel!
14 long months of GMAT-Wedding-GMAT-ApplicationsX5 have ended with Chicago application submitted.

It will take me some time to relax, being geared up for such a lobg time. Damn, I spent some of my honeymoon writing essays at a mexican beach.

Your wife is a supportive saint.

Yeah, I kinda feel like the old guy in Shawshank Redemption who gest released from prison after decades. What do I do now?? :shock: :lol:

Thanks cheetarah for the immense amount of help and info here and on your blog, it certainly helped a lot!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
jumsumtak wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
Anyone know how booth's re-application process works? I heard that they dig up your previous app and do a full point-by-point comparison.

I'd be surprised if they didn't do it that way. I've heard that from a few consultants now. (and I presume not only Booth, but a lot of other schools would do this as well). I don't have info on whether Booth does a much more in-depth analysis.

I just talked to an admissions agent at Booth full-time office, and she said that they do NOT dig up or look at your previous app. I asked her several times if she's confident about this, and she said yes. This is really surprising.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
In for Round 2. Suddenly the mid-decision date seems really far away!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
ak2012 wrote:
andyandy wrote:
In for Round 2. Suddenly the mid-decision date seems really far away!

andyandy, when is the R2 mid-decision date? I'll update the front page with that date.

Posted from my mobile device

Mid-Decision date for R2 is February 13th
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
classof2k15 wrote:
Is there published/ballpark data around how many applicants apply and get admitted from R1/R2/R3?

For both rounds 1 and 2, the acceptance rate is roughly 22-25%. No idea on round 3, but i'm sure it's a lot lower.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
I beg to differ.. I had an admit from Booth last year and spoke to quite a few current students... Though the adcoms will not admit it, when all else is nearly equal (as it shud be for admitted applicants), the GMAT score is one of the main drivers of fellowship consideration... The Tobaccowala Fellowship for Indian students at Chicago Booth went to a guy with a 780 on the GMAT

So yes it is worth retaking the GMAT and scoring in excess of 770.

cheetarah1980 wrote:
dwal44 wrote:
Retake GMAT after being admitted in hopes of scholarship? This might be ridiculous, does anyone know anything about this? I got in round 1, and now I'm starting to take a hard look at those $50,000 tuition payments (makes each time I held off on the guac at chipotle a little less meaningful). I'd say the weakest part of my app was my GMAT (720 with sub-70 percentile quant and very high verbal). Would bringing up this score make me a viable scholarship candidate or is this foolish? Thanks guys!

Waste of time. GMAT score is small factor for fellowship consideration. Plus consideration for fellowships is the application you submitted for admission and possibly an additional essay (if required). Not everyone qualifies for every available award. I would talk to financial aid about your concerns and see if there are any fellowships they feel you should apply for. But I don't think retaking the GMAT will have any bearing on the money you could get from Booth.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
schumacher24 wrote:
I beg to differ.. I had an admit from Booth last year and spoke to quite a few current students... Though the adcoms will not admit it, when all else is nearly equal (as it shud be for admitted applicants), the GMAT score is one of the main drivers of fellowship consideration... The Tobaccowala Fellowship for Indian students at Chicago Booth went to a guy with a 780 on the GMAT

So yes it is worth retaking the GMAT and scoring in excess of 770.

cheetarah1980 wrote:
dwal44 wrote:
Retake GMAT after being admitted in hopes of scholarship? This might be ridiculous, does anyone know anything about this? I got in round 1, and now I'm starting to take a hard look at those $50,000 tuition payments (makes each time I held off on the guac at chipotle a little less meaningful). I'd say the weakest part of my app was my GMAT (720 with sub-70 percentile quant and very high verbal). Would bringing up this score make me a viable scholarship candidate or is this foolish? Thanks guys!

Waste of time. GMAT score is small factor for fellowship consideration. Plus consideration for fellowships is the application you submitted for admission and possibly an additional essay (if required). Not everyone qualifies for every available award. I would talk to financial aid about your concerns and see if there are any fellowships they feel you should apply for. But I don't think retaking the GMAT will have any bearing on the money you could get from Booth.

I wish a high GMAT were one of the main drivers of getting accepted lol.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
I have lived in the shadow of the Gleacher Center (where booth is), for years. I live one block away. I applied, finally, 2nd round. Since yesterday, i heard back from UMichigan Ross (interview invite, yay!), and in order to improve my chances of an interview invite from Booth, i doing the obvious thing: I'm mounting a vigil at the Gleacher Center until Feb 13! Today, two hours, of dancing, ah..., talking with the janitors, in -13 degrees Celsius temperatures, was a success!! I will mount the vigil every night 12am-2am, until the R2 invites are sent... yeah yeah....laugh at me, but when i get my interview invite and and....

Gleacher Center, all of downtown Chicago, former Indian burial grounds. So, giving peace offerings, dancing to indiana songs, praying, fitting in order to change that 'deny' into an 'interview invite'. Watch this place...

Last edited by VoyagerII on 11 Feb 2013, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 9

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Got the invite!

I've already scheduled my interview for Friday the 1st. Lucky for me, my current project ends on the 28th, so I can make sure the 1st is a free day.

I've already booked my flights. Still debating on what hotel to book and whether or not I should rent a car.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
Invited to interview.

I have no words for how amazing this week has been. After hearing almost nothing except for two dings for weeks, I can't believe it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
Public transportation in Chicago is reliable and many Boothies use public transporation every day to get to school. There are a lot of factors that go into safety...Like where you're coming from and where you're going..if you're a single female walking by yourself in the dark...If you have to walk a ways to make your connection, etc.

I would say that if you're going from ORD to Hyde Park in one swoop during daylight there should be a very small chance of problems.

Agreed. I live in Chicago (and used to live in Hyde Park, in fact), and you have very little to worry about. Take the Blue line from ORD to downtown. Transfer to the 6, or whatever other bus Google Maps recommends for your timeframe. Or transfer to the Metra, which is apparently what Booth students typically use to commute. I'd recommend against taking the Green or Red line trains (especially Green) to Garfield/55th street if you're extra concerned about safety. But even then, you'd almost certainly be fine, especially during the day. These are all busy areas.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 210

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
Visited the campus last week. It was beautiful! Stoked to receive the invite earlier today!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
nyama wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:
I'm taking it laid back....interviewing Sat 9th, the last day of interviewing! I live in Chicago, so Hyde Park, where the Harper Center is, is a few minutes by driving away. I just hope that i get interviewed by an experienced adcom official, not a 2nd year student. I think that i have more life experiences, graduate school experiences (yep, applied and got in, PhD bio-sciences, plus three MAs degrees -two done!), etc than a 2nd year. An older person can really relate to me. My enemy for the interview is a 2nd year, female student....that's a train rack right there...

So, praying that i don't see 'enemy combatants' on interview day!

May I ask why you feel this way?

- Would she understand when i say that 'for our people, to change their lives,' hoping to be president of my country 20 years from now?
- Would she understands, that my life is bigger that an MBA? That the MBA is just part of the many tools that i will use to get ahead in the years ahead?
- That the short term and long term goals i will elucidate in that interview, might be different from what i will actually do when i graduate? That i have a right to change my mind? That this is interview, 'not a big deal' because it can't possibly capture the me and the life i have lived over the last decades?

Point is, just afraid someone will take this interview as the most important thing in the world, when the opposite is true. I can give you more reasons if you want. One last example: I see it in some of my female professors (finishing my second MA...graduating in May, yay!), punishing me left and right, late assignment? Punished! They think that the class that they are teaching, is the most important thing in the world, they think that giving me a C or D or such in this class, will change anything. No, my life is bigger than a B or C or D from these classes. Who will care about a B/C/D from some class, years from now, when i'm president of some country?

I just think that some people out there, they forget to look at the big picture, ending up obsessing over an interview or class. That some of us are interviewing at uchicago is a mirracle in itself, why? Well, because, ten years ago in the village, the probability of getting into booth for me stood at 0.0000000001. I have battled this impossible probability, reducing it to almost 0.5. An interview should not stop me.

Wow. While I respect where you came from, you have to be able to work with different genders, races, personalities etc. How can you be president of a country if you can't even get over interviewing with a second year female? If Booth knew that was true, they would surely look elsewhere. Just my 2 pennies. Goodluck.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.81

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
nyama wrote:
I work with everybody. After a long higher education record of 10years (college + grad school), means i worked with everyone. Even the conglomerate i work for, women left and right. I think one point i forgot to mention is that, if i can convince the 2nd year female student of the awesomeness of my file, then my business career is set...because i would be able to sale anybody 'snow' here in Chicago in winter...! :) The salesman of the year!

Wow, you don't know when to stop!

I will echo kingfalcon's post; you've divulged an incredible amount of personal information, regardless of your comical GPA and GRE change (which has been ironically memorialized by the previous post). How many international students are currently in MA programs in Chicago? And how many of those were invited to interview? It would be completely ignorant and naive to think that the Adcom wouldn't see your post and deny your admission. Then again, ignorance seems to be your forte.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.48
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
In any case I think they've got a topic to work on for a re-application "how have you developed since your last application" essay.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 42

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone,

I had my interview today on campus and the interview was pretty easygoing with few tough questions. I was supposed to fly back to tonight, but my flight was delayed and then rescheduled from 9 pm to 6 AM! Sleeping in the airport tonight along with 200 other people. Hopefully your flights tomorrow will arrive on time. Best of luck with interviews.

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2013, 20:56