Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.52
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone!!

I've just came from my interview this afternoon. It was with an alumni (off campus).

Questions that I can remember (no exact order):

1) Why MBA?
2) Why do you think you would be a good fit with Booth?
3) What do you think are the key characteristics of a leader and how do you identify with that?
4) Tell me about a project that didn't work as you wanted?
5) Have you ever made a mistake in your career? What did you learn from that?
6) How would you contribute to Booth?
7) Why did you get involved in surfing?
8) What's the thing that you love most when playing the guitar?
8) What are you most passionate about or gives you the greatest joy?
9) From the books that you've read, what book would you recommend me to read and why?
10) What would your friends would say are your greatest strengths?

He asked a lot about my extracurriculars and few (i guess nothing) about my resume. As everyone loves to talk about their hobbies, those questions were relatively easy for me, but I'm wondering why he didn't asked me a lot about why Chicago and how would I fit considering that this is supposedly the big emphasis of the Booth interview... I feel like I didn't explain that part as much as I would have wished... the WHY CHICAGO question??

I don't think I did it bad, but I don't know if I did it great as I wished I had to. This was because, he was a little bit serious and very concentrated in taking a lot of notes while I was talking, (like a psychologist) so at the beginning that didn't seemed to me that it was a conversation, but more of an interrogation. As he was inexpressive during the interview taking notes, I couldn't figure out what was he thinking, so I don't really know how good or bad my performance was...

At the end of the interview, he stopped taking notes, told me that the interview had concluded and asked me if I had some questions. I asked him a lot about his experience at Booth. That was the most relaxed part of the interview because this time it was a conversation... he seemed to be a very nice guy.

I guess I've just have to wait and hope for the best... (fingers crossed)
Hope that for some of you guys that are anxious preparing for your interviews (as I was this morning) found this post useful.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

Just got done with my interview today. It was with an alumnus who now runs his own software company here in Chennai.

It was quite short (20 mins) - I hope that's not a bad sign, since the average is around 45 mins as far as I know.

He first started off by introducing himself, told me about his profile, what he does now and why he chose Booth.
The questions were (not in the same order):
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why MBA?
3. Why Booth?
4. What are some of the challenges you face at work?
5. How does it feel when older people report to you?
6. How I am involved in the community, and when I replied that I don't really have the time to be actively involved, he asked me what I would like to do if I had the time.

I then asked him a couple of questions, and it all ended in like 20 mins! Now it's the wait!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
rocky312 wrote:
thank you everyone. i'll just speak to the adcom member who helped set up this interview. the incident has just left me quite worried.

hope the rest of the applicants have a better interview!

I agree with the others that you could call but I recommend keeping it objective and factual if you do:

1) I had my interview on X date with Y person.
2) He said these things, and I was surprised.
3) I wanted to share this information for two reasons: a) I am not certain how the interview report will look and b) I left feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Obviously you should frame in the way that suits you, but I would steer away from making any recommendations or criticisms.

Sorry to hear about this - good luck!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
I had to cancel my on campus interview due to the weather. My flight was cancelled this morning. The admissions office was very accommodating, however, I had to reschedule with an alumni because all the on campus interviews are booked until Saturday (March 9th - last day of interviews). No slots open. I'm still a strong believer that an on campus interview is looked at more favorably than an alumni interview but oh well can't predict mother nature!

Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I had my Booth interview this week and I think it went really well. The AdCom matched me up with someone who lives less than a mile away from me (and an alum from my UG university!) so we met at a coffee shop in the area. The interview was definitely the least structured and most conversational chat that I have had. He knocked out two behavioral questions early on and then it was all about my interests, goals, Booth, etc. We covered the following:

- Tell me about yourself
- Tell me a story in which you displayed leadership and how does it exhibit your style of leadership
- What sort of role do you typically play on a team?
- How have you displayed resilience?
- What are your goals?
- Why do you want to go to Booth? Why now?
- Tell me about your personal interests

The initial conversation took about 30 minutes with another 20 minutes dedicated to my questions for him at the end. He had just gotten back from an international trip visiting some Booth friends and I could tell that he was very enthusiastic about the school and had really enjoyed his time there. Definitely left a great impression on me!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 19

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
jumsumtak wrote:
nyama wrote:
What's the deal about thank you notes/email to the interviewer? Is it a required thing?

not 'required' - good to send.

I disagree--for all interviews, work or otherwise, common courtesy is to send a thank you note. You stand out in a bad way if you don't. More importantly, strangers are taking time out of their busy schedules to evaluate your candidacy--acknowledging this is really the least you could do.

-Onward, tomorrow.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
whathowhatho wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
It's best to just forget about it until the obligatory one-week-before-decision-day-paranoid-freak-out.

:lol: Cheetarah always has the right words:)
Started for me one (or two) days earlier than needed. And - I have not written a thank you note (for my excuse - in the country where I was interviewed and where my interviewer is from, it is not so common like in the US) - but still "paranoying" about it....

I'm parannoying about my thank you note too: I misplaced the guy's business card somewhere between Chicago and LA, and by the time I found it, it was late enough that I didn't want to remind him that I was so late writing a thank-you note. :P

Katherine
stochastic77@gmail.com

PS Was it SNL that had the skit with the guys you could hire to make it look like your package was lost in the mail? They ran over it several times with a car, marked it with an old postmark, etc. before sending it on to the recipient? I need one of those right now.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 16:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Blax0r wrote:
I hand wrote my thank you letter, but my wife insisted on a gaudy, over-the-top, random peacock-emblazoned card. So I'm kinda wishing I were in your boat.

Anyway, good luck to all.

At least it's memorable!

aerien

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 96

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
KTTH wrote:
Hey guys! Anybody knows if it's possible to ask for early decision result? I have to pay acceptance fee for another school on 26 March but I prefer going to Booth if Booth takes me and payment is required only one day before a call in case I'm successful on Booth :cry: . Therefore, it will be very great if I know Booth's result before I make payment (it's quite significant lot!).

Wish everybody best luck on Booth admission!

Doubtful. Booth already calls admits one day prior to the decision day. As far as I know they do not release decisions any earlier than that. You aren't the first person, nor will you be the last, to be in a position to have to make a deposit prior to knowing Booth's admission decision. If Booth starts giving out answers early so people can save themselves $$ they'd be giving out admissions decisions left and right.

Part of the risk in splitting your apps into two rounds is that you may have to eat a deposit (sometimes a significant one). I had to do it last year. Although I usually say that you won't know if you don't ask, in this case I'd say don't ask for an early decision. Booth's admissions staff is working their butts off right now to make sure they have decisions ready on time and requests to know earlier are an unnecessary distraction.

Your better bet is to see if you can get a 2 day extension on the deposit deadline for your other school. That request is more likely to be granted.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 96

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
elian wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
nyama wrote:
What's the deal about thank you notes/email to the interviewer? Is it a required thing?

not 'required' - good to send.

I disagree--for all interviews, work or otherwise, common courtesy is to send a thank you note. You stand out in a bad way if you don't. More importantly, strangers are taking time out of their busy schedules to evaluate your candidacy--acknowledging this is really the least you could do.

I'm going to disagree with this in terms of bschool applications. For work, yes send a thank you note (although I didn't during recruiting this year). For the MBA interview it does NOT matter. They are interviewing way too many people to keep track of who sends a thank you and who doesn't. Honestly all bschool interview thank you notes do is tend to freak out the applicant over what they said in it and whether or not they get a response (see TrueGMAT's previous posts). The interviewer doesn't care, nor notice if you don't send a thank you. I didn't send one for Wharton or Booth and it was more than fine.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 56

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

1) It's a 773 area code
2) They start early in the morning and try to get the international students in the Far East and South Pacific before they go to bed
3) For US based admits there is NO PATTERN in how the calls go out. They are not done in alphabetical order. They are not done by industry. They are not done from east to west. I repeat there is NO PATTERN. I realize right now that as soon as the 27th hits this information will be forgotten/ignored.
4) Admissions makes the phone calls.
5) You will be notified of any scholarship you may have been awarded during the call. If they do not mention scholarship money you did not get one at this time, but may be awarded a fellowship at a later date.
6) Good luck!!

Great info, thanks!

One question: is #3 a conclusion based on what you've heard/read, or iron-clad fact?

Iron-clad FACT.

Seconded.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 23

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 23:19
This post received
KUDOS
Less than a week to go...and that mandatory weak at heart feeling has sinked in. They Like me..they like me not, they like me, they like me not, they like me, they like me not :?: ...!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
stochastic77 wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
Please guys make sure when you get the call from Booth on Wednesday, you let us know on the forum.

Any idea when/what order the calls are made? Between 9 and 5 CDT, or something else?

See Cheetarah1980's post on page 55. She answers this question.

Just to share my experience, I'm from Europe and was following the posts on the thread. When some guys from Latin America said they had received the call I lost the hope.
However, after one hour and an half I received the call! It was around 6.45 pm European Time CET. They did not try to call me before that time.
This means they do follow the time zones when making the call, but not too strictly!
Good luck to all of you who are waiting for the call!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 57

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
It's 12:00 CT , too nervous to sleep. Got a big job interview too tomorrow
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
fakebonjovi wrote:
ldryan wrote:
This thread is surprisingly quiet given calls go out tomorrow!!

I am just desensitized to pain after two rounds of rejections. I've now seen this play out for 6.5 times...

But you got into Darden!! That is an awesome school!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 26

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
Roughly half I think

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bigblue1010 wrote:
Is there a chat currently open?

The chat is always open. Come on by!

JOIN HERE TO CHAT

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
abou wrote:
INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

West Africa (from waitlist in Rd 1)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Let's see who report the first admit :)

Quote:
Just got a call from Bryce (adcom). I am IN !! I was told that I am the first student they called.

Good luck to everyone :)

I am a 23 year old female from India
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 05:58