Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 08:35
I'm finally feeling good about most of my essays except that Essay 1 is still sitting at 571 words. Need to find a way to chop about 50 words out without hurting the flow....
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 09:14
mappleby wrote:
I'm finally feeling good about most of my essays except that Essay 1 is still sitting at 571 words. Need to find a way to chop about 50 words out without hurting the flow....

Prepositional phrases, adjectives, and adverbs are killers. Cutting these can net you another 30-50 words (if you haven't done so already).
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 10:07
I was able to combine 2 paragraphs that felt a little repetitive and that saved about 50 words. I'll give it another go through but at least 520 words feels close enough to the 500 limit that I feel ok about it. Still fits on one page at least.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 10:12
mappleby wrote:
I was able to combine 2 paragraphs that felt a little repetitive and that saved about 50 words. I'll give it another go through but at least 520 words feels close enough to the 500 limit that I feel ok about it. Still fits on one page at least.

If you're at 520 then leave it be (unless you think it needs grammar or content revisions). I was about 35 words over on a 600 word essay last year. The adcom is not counting and they don't care at that point.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 40
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 13:40
What will the admission committee think if I decide to choose the 600-word essay instead of the 4-page ppt presentation? I have a nice story to tell about my experience studying abroad as I feel it tells a lot about who I am.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 16:06
fitzmanon wrote:
What will the admission committee think if I decide to choose the 600-word essay instead of the 4-page ppt presentation? I have a nice story to tell about my experience studying abroad as I feel it tells a lot about who I am.

I think it comes down to execution. If you write a great essay that gives new insight into who you are then the admissions committee will be pleased. If it seems like an essay that's just repeating what you've already said in other parts of your application then the adcom will likely view it as a wasted opportunity. Then again a vague ppt presentation would probably yield the same response. Go with the method that tells your story best. Only you know what that is. I will go out on a limb and say that an average ppt has a slight advantage over an average essay since the ppt has been part of the application longer.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 07:30
Application submitted. There's 2 down!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE: General Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 04:04
I have finally submitted my App to Chicago yesterday... My last app to be submitted.. Booth was the first school which I started writing essays for but is the last school to which I have submitted...As this application journey wears on,after going through countless pages of the school website, reading blogs, checking out forums from I have come to love Chicago Booth a lot.. I have a new dream school..

I dont know when exactly in this insanely maddening process Chicago replaced Harvard.. Maybe When I started writing the Why MBA essay and stumbled upon John Cochrane's dry humour and a part of me wanted to be in his class right now... Maybe when I saved ChicagoPres v54.ppt.. Maybe when I almost reached out and tried to feel Harper center's chrome and wood thro my monitor...

I realized this as I sat in a bar drinking reflectively... I told my friend If do get into Harvard(I added the standard disclaimer: which is highly unlikely) and Chicago maybe I might end up going to Chicago... To which my ever insightful friend's reply was"Hey,Check out that girl in the hot pants"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 06:01
taksi wrote:
Maybe when I saved ChicagoPres v54.ppt..


Innocuous question. Do you have 53 older versions of your ppt saved on your drive :shock: :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 06:11
On a more serious note, I have a question. I just noticed that NYU Stern asks this question to its applicants.

Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Although on the face of it, its different from the Booth presentation, is there any likelihood that Booth might think that I created something that I will re-use in the future? What I mean to ask, is there something that is very different between Booth's presentation and Stern's question?

Cheers,
q
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 06:14
qtrip wrote:
On a more serious note, I have a question. I just noticed that NYU Stern asks this question to its applicants.

Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Although on the face of it, its different from the Booth presentation, is there any likelihood that Booth might think that I created something that I will re-use in the future? What I mean to ask, is there something that is very different between Booth's presentation and Stern's question?

Cheers,
q

Not really.

I don't think any school thinks that you use 100% fresh material for their application. Everyone knows that the same stories and presentations get tweaked and recycled throughout this process. In an open ended question with a free format like Booth and NYU allow it's even easier to switch out school names and submit (less nuance in the questions vs. traditional essays). I don't think Booth would look at an excellent PPT and say, "This is so good! I bet he/she used this for their Stern app."
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE: General Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:38
cheetarah1980 wrote:
qtrip wrote:
On a more serious note, I have a question. I just noticed that NYU Stern asks this question to its applicants.

Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Although on the face of it, its different from the Booth presentation, is there any likelihood that Booth might think that I created something that I will re-use in the future? What I mean to ask, is there something that is very different between Booth's presentation and Stern's question?

Cheers,
q

Not really.

I don't think any school thinks that you use 100% fresh material for their application. Everyone knows that the same stories and presentations get tweaked and recycled throughout this process. In an open ended question with a free format like Booth and NYU allow it's even easier to switch out school names and submit (less nuance in the questions vs. traditional essays). I don't think Booth would look at an excellent PPT and say, "This is so good! I bet he/she used this for their Stern app."


I agree ...One overthought point from my side... Chicago asks you to broaden its perpective(beyond what is stated in other parts)..So in a Chicago essay you will figure out stuff which are not really coming through in the application...

The only reason CB adcom might start thinking that you have recycled the Stern version is maybe if there is significant overlap between what is already present in your application/essays: The fact that you have said something in an essay shouldn't prevent you from using it in a description to your classmates if you literally interpret the Stern question(My name is .. I believe I am the only person in the room with a perfect GPA in Rocket Science which I earned while I sailed in Ady Gil fighting evil Whalers... Then I completed 4 missions in the Endeavour and had to take special approvals from Nasa to continue to teach inner city kids thro a remote satellite link)

Like I said I am overthinking...But maybe useful if you are recycling your Stern ppt to pay attention for overlap between app/essays...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 13:09
Quick question people: In the 'Activities' section, it says that we can fill upto 12 activities (that will be viewable in PDF). It is not expected for us to fill in all correct? I mean it wont look bad if we leave out some? I just have 4-5 major ones that I do....but do really well.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 13:30
KillerApp wrote:
Quick question people: In the 'Activities' section, it says that we can fill upto 12 activities (that will be viewable in PDF). It is not expected for us to fill in all correct? I mean it wont look bad if we leave out some? I just have 4-5 major ones that I do....but do really well.


I don't think we are expected to fill all of the activities if we have fewer than 12. They are available in case you need them.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 72
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 18:30
I'm in for round 1 good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 20:05
Guys, what font, size and spacing are you using? I cant seem to find any guidance regarding this on the website.

Cheers,
q
Current Student
avatar
Status: Rotman School of Management
Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 38
Location: Canada
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 21:16
Can anyone say for sure how many words should the power point contain? Should be the same as the essay word count for Essay-3 that is 600?

What if I go say around 750? destined for ding? :)
Current Student
avatar
Status: Rotman School of Management
Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 38
Location: Canada
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 21:22
taksi wrote:
I have finally submitted my App to Chicago yesterday... My last app to be submitted.. Booth was the first school which I started writing essays for but is the last school to which I have submitted...As this application journey wears on,after going through countless pages of the school website, reading blogs, checking out forums from I have come to love Chicago Booth a lot.. I have a new dream school..

I dont know when exactly in this insanely maddening process Chicago replaced Harvard.. Maybe When I started writing the Why MBA essay and stumbled upon John Cochrane's dry humour and a part of me wanted to be in his class right now... Maybe when I saved ChicagoPres v54.ppt.. Maybe when I almost reached out and tried to feel Harper center's chrome and wood thro my monitor...

I realized this as I sat in a bar drinking reflectively... I told my friend If do get into Harvard(I added the standard disclaimer: which is highly unlikely) and Chicago maybe I might end up going to Chicago... To which my ever insightful friend's reply was"Hey,Check out that girl in the hot pants"


Dude!

You've got serious writing skills! Would love to see your essays! :D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 21:31
kingme wrote:
Can anyone say for sure how many words should the power point contain? Should be the same as the essay word count for Essay-3 that is 600?

What if I go say around 750? destined for ding? :)


750 words sounds like a lot for 4 slides. Maybe you should edit a little more.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Rotman School of Management
Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 38
Location: Canada
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 21:38
qtrip wrote:
kingme wrote:
Can anyone say for sure how many words should the power point contain? Should be the same as the essay word count for Essay-3 that is 600?

What if I go say around 750? destined for ding? :)


750 words sounds like a lot for 4 slides. Maybe you should edit a little more.


I get your point but do they have any exact word limit?
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2012, 21:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
428 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 Narenn 1418 21 Apr 2013, 03:20
532 Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants ak2012 1669 21 Mar 2012, 06:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago Booth Part time 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 35 14 Feb 2013, 19:56
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants LongestWaitEVER 162 19 Dec 2012, 09:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  84    Next  [ 1670 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.