Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [3] , given: 31

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Wait list for me. Shockingly, this feels good after yesterday!

I'm going to bust it to get an additional rec letter and make an awesome video for admissions.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [3] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
dwinters wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
So..current students..
1) Do you think Booth will let me attend Admitted Students weekend with the R2 folks? The R1 Admit Weekend is in busy season for me which means lots of hours and lots of Saturdays and no chance of getting off work. I know it's not required to go, but I would like to.
2) What are the most popular downtown apartment buildings among Boothies besides Millenium Park Plaza?

Thanks!

I went to the R2 Admitted Students weekend last year and met several people who had been accepted in R1 or deferred from the previous year. Shoot an email to the admissions officer who called you and let them know the situation. I am pretty sure that they want you to see the school regardless of when that happens.

The most popular downtown apartment buildings are:
Loop: Columbus Plaza, MDA, Park Millenium, Shoreham, Tides, Aqua
South Loop: 1130 S Michigan, 1212 S Michigan

A lot of people also rent condos. They often have better upkeep and are a bit cheaper.

Hi Cheetah, I've got a question - my understanding is that most booth students (is the term boothies okay or do ppl not like it?) live in Loop...any comments as to the differences between living in Loop vs South Loop? South loops seems like it is further away from the city center so it is more quiet but also less accessible? Not sure what the difference in preference is.

Boothies is quite alright. As for differences b/w Loop and South Loop I would say it depends on where you live in the South Loop. If you are north of 14th St then you are still pretty much downtown. SLoop doesn't start getting super residential until about 18th St. If you live between 9th and Roosevelt (which most Sloopers do) then you are very close to the metra, red line, green line, orange line, and bus stops. Everything you need is right there. There are restaurants, bars, a Trader Joe's, Jewel Osco, and Target all within walking distance.
I would say that the Sloop skews a bit more toward people with partners but there are lots of singles too. You're also not far from the Loop buildings or Gleacher (10-15 minute bus ride). In fact I live only 1.5 miles south of Gleacher and about 1 mile from MPP. People like the Sloop because you are still close enough to the Loop for it not to be a hassle to get there, but you're far enough away to also stay out of the dorm like atmosphere some buildings have. It's also a bit closer to Harper Center so the commute is a bit shorter.

The Loop is cool too and most people who live there do so because it is closest to the biggest % of other Boothies. From what I've seen people don't actually go out in the Loop past maybe 9p.m. Gold Coast, River North, Old Town, etc. are the neighborhoods we tend to go out in. In terms of grocery stores I know there is a Domenick's near Gleacher and a lot people shop at Mariano's. There is a metra station very close to MPP and a bus stop right in front. Most people in the Loop take the school bus train (i.e. the metra) up to Harper. I'd say that the Sloop has a couple of more options for getting to campus (metra, express bus).

If you come to admit weekend I suggest you do the housing tours. It's easier to see in person what the differences would be between the Loop and Sloop. You'll find plenty of students to ask about their experiences in each neighborhood.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [3] , given: 56

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
For people thinking about on-campus and lodging, keep in mind UChicago has tons of discounts and partnerships with hotels ranging from a free breakfast at a two-star hotel in Hyde Park to a free room upgrade at the Four Seasons.

http://finserv.uchicago.edu/purchasing/ ... rams.shtml
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [3] , given: 13

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
nyama wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:
I'm taking it laid back....interviewing Sat 9th, the last day of interviewing! I live in Chicago, so Hyde Park, where the Harper Center is, is a few minutes by driving away. I just hope that i get interviewed by an experienced adcom official, not a 2nd year student. I think that i have more life experiences, graduate school experiences (yep, applied and got in, PhD bio-sciences, plus three MAs degrees -two done!), etc than a 2nd year. An older person can really relate to me. My enemy for the interview is a 2nd year, female student....that's a train rack right there...

So, praying that i don't see 'enemy combatants' on interview day!

May I ask why you feel this way?

- Would she understand when i say that 'for our people, to change their lives,' hoping to be president of my country 20 years from now?
- Would she understands, that my life is bigger that an MBA? That the MBA is just part of the many tools that i will use to get ahead in the years ahead?
- That the short term and long term goals i will elucidate in that interview, might be different from what i will actually do when i graduate? That i have a right to change my mind? That this is interview, 'not a big deal' because it can't possibly capture the me and the life i have lived over the last decades?

Point is, just afraid someone will take this interview as the most important thing in the world, when the opposite is true. I can give you more reasons if you want. One last example: I see it in some of my female professors (finishing my second MA...graduating in May, yay!), punishing me left and right, late assignment? Punished! They think that the class that they are teaching, is the most important thing in the world, they think that giving me a C or D or such in this class, will change anything. No, my life is bigger than a B or C or D from these classes. Who will care about a B/C/D from some class, years from now, when i'm president of some country?

I just think that some people out there, they forget to look at the big picture, ending up obsessing over an interview or class. That some of us are interviewing at uchicago is a mirracle in itself, why? Well, because, ten years ago in the village, the probability of getting into booth for me stood at 0.0000000001. I have battled this impossible probability, reducing it to almost 0.5. An interview should not stop me.

Nyama - your post is quite myopic, misogynous, bigoted, and not does not suit an MBA aspirant. Given your language, and the mindset it reveals, I would think that your biggest enemy at the interview would be yourself. If this is how you come across on the interview, no interviewer - no matter how young or old, male or female, student, alumni or adcom - will want you in their MBA program.

It doesn't matter if your goals are lofty - the biggest dreamers are the greatest achievers - as long as you can convey them with passion and conviction. YOU need to know how the MBA will feature in your plans, and you need to convince the interviewer that you know. Pulling yourself up from a 0.0000000001 chance to a 0.5 chance is great, but your post just goes on to prove how important the interview really is - you may be the most qualified candidate, but I wouldn't want you in my class, or representing my school, if you continued to exhibit this mindset.

Ironically, for someone who scorns others for missing the big picture and obsessing over an interview, you've spent an inordinate amount of time and energy worrying about your 'interview enemy'.

MBAWanderlust
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [3] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
i like how nyama's GPA went from 2.5 to 3.98 and GRE went from Q151 V163 (total 314) to Q163 V163 (somehow still total 314) after kingfalcon said "keep in mind that the internet isn't *really* anonymous; the Booth adcom could probably figure out who you are if they wanted to."
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:15
This post received
KUDOS
Yikes. After a full day of air travel trying to get into Chicago, and despite going into final descent more than once (then being diverted to Madison, WI), Delta ultimately gave up and flew me back to DC because of the weather. Now I have to tell admissions that I won’t be making my noon interview appointment tomorrow; what a bummer.

I love Booth but that Northern California weather at Haas is looking really good right now.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
ldryan wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
I am just wondering as to how much these interviews count? Ad com looks at the overall application before taking any decision ,does a word from a interviewer is kind of make or break deal? Any thoughts?

I have the same question for Chicago specifically. I always thought they were less of a "fit" school (like Kellogg, Duke, Michigan), so it would make sense if the interview could only help or hurt you in extreme cases, but does anyone have any other thoughts?

This is a very inaccurate description of Booth. Fit is HUGE. It's a pretty unique place and the goal is to find great candidates who understand and appreciate that uniqueness and genuinely want to be here. A candidate can have a gold plated GPA, GMAT and work experience but will get dinged if the fit isn't there.

At any school the interview can hurt you on the margins if it's extremely bad. Here's the thing, most people have interviews that are fair to good. I'd say very few interviews are total flame outs or shining stars. Besides, a great interview won't get you in the school. I know a lot of people who will say that their interview was phenomenal and they still don't get in. One of my classmates rated his interview as mediocre and he was admitted with a scholarship. The interview is incorporated into your other application materials for the final review. It's just one piece of the picture that on the margins can break you (if it's absolutely horrible) but likely won't make you. If you've completed your interview its best to stop worrying about it now. A response (or non response) to a thank you note is not a sign of anything. It's out of your hands and there's nothing that anyone can tell you on this forum that's going to give you an indication of what your final decision will be. It's best to just forget about it until the obligatory one-week-before-decision-day-paranoid-freak-out. Enjoy the down time.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
Initial scholarship notifications are given during the admit call. However, this is not the only time at which fellowships are awarded. There are Booth fellowships and corporate fellowships that are awarded later. A friend of mine was admitted to Booth last year and did not receive any scholarship money up front. About one week before the deposit deadline she was notified that she got the Forte fellowship.
If you are admitted and do not hear about a scholarship on your call I'd advise that you not ask, "Oh and is there a scholarship for me too?" If there is they will proactively tell you. Once you have access to the admitted students website you can look through the available fellowships. Some of them you can't apply for but others you can (usually with an essay). See which application based ones you're eligible for and then apply.
Also, if you ARE awarded a merit scholarship upon being admitted there is a chance that Booth will convert it to a named fellowship of equal or greater value.
That's about all I know in terms of scholarship notification. I do not know how award decisions are made. Hope this helps.

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
rrossjd wrote:
Bigblue1010 wrote:
VoyagerII wrote:
What's Booth's notification policy? For the other schools, found myself getting notification, days in advance of the actual listed date.

They will call you on the 27th if you were admitted. On the 28th at 9am CDT, they will update your status online/email, and you will either be denied admission or waitlisted. In a few instances, if they weren't able to get a hold of you, they will email you for admission. Hope this helps.

Yay, can't wait until the 27th to get that phone call. So that none of us see an unknown number on that day and let that call go to voice mail, what are the area codes in Chicago?

1) It's a 773 area code
2) They start early in the morning and try to get the international students in the Far East and South Pacific before they go to bed
3) For US based admits there is NO PATTERN in how the calls go out. They are not done in alphabetical order. They are not done by industry. They are not done from east to west. I repeat there is NO PATTERN. I realize right now that as soon as the 27th hits this information will be forgotten/ignored.
4) Admissions makes the phone calls.
5) You will be notified of any scholarship you may have been awarded during the call. If they do not mention scholarship money you did not get one at this time, but may be awarded a fellowship at a later date.
6) Calls are made ALL DAY until around 5 p.m. CST. Please do not be that person asking if it's "all over for you" at 10 a.m. (especially if you live in the USA). Last year I did not get my call until 4:13 p.m. CST.
7) Good luck!!

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 14

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call about 15 minutes ago!! With $$$, too! So relieved! :-D I'm in Chicago.

Last edited by Cerasi on 27 Mar 2013, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [3] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 19:12
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted with $$!
Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [3] , given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call & offer......tricked the crap out of me, but excited!!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
accepted off the wait list, east coast. need to decide between tuck and booth now. very different programs.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
I wrote a Haiku on decision day in the Yale thread and things went well for me. Perhaps I will have the same luck here:

Awaiting a call
Ignoring my job function
Please dear god just ring
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 53

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
For us who haven't got that magic call from Booth, cheer up! Opportunities ahead :)
Here's an article I'd like to share with you:

Why I’m glad I got rejected from Chicago Business School
https://medium.com/cs-math/704985f091b8

quote:
"Everything that happens to you in life can be turned into an opportunity - even rejection. Not getting accepted in B-school, at the time, seemed like the worse thing that could have happened - actually turned out to be the best thing that could have happened for me. Success and happiness can be found in places you never thought to look."

-joseph misiti
machine-learning + applied mathematics + django + hadoop. Co-Founder of @socialq.
3 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [3] , given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
Thought I would check in with my fellow wls! How is everybody holding out? How is your summer going? I guess this is going to be a long summer. I think that at this point, while you keep watch on the wls, perhaps it is now that time to reconsider that back-up option... reapplying/etc. I plan on reapplying, so i'm in the middle of boosting my GMAT, etc.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Keep the faith, and hopefully we shall all overcome! It's Booth or bust! :).

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Booth 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
The 2013 application deadlines and essays for Booth have just been announced on their blog.

2012-13 Application Deadlines:
Round One Deadline: October 2, 2012
Round Two Deadline: January 8, 2013
Round Three Deadline: April 4, 2013

Essay 1: What are your short- and long-term goals, and how will an MBA from Chicago Booth help you reach them? (500 words maximum)

2) Short Answer Essays:
a. What has been your biggest challenge, and what have you learned from it? (200 words maximum)
b. Tell us about something that has fundamentally transformed the way you think. (200 words maximum)

3) Presentation/Essay:
The Chicago experience will take you deeper into issues, force you to challenge assumptions, and broaden your perspective. In a four-slide presentation or an essay of no more than 600 words, broaden our perspective about who you are. Understanding what we currently know about you from the application, what else would you like us to know?

4) Re-applicant Essay:
Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (300 words)
Only those applicants who applied for entrance in Fall 2011 or 2012 are required to complete this essay.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 399 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to you all! I am rooting for you.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [2] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my invite. I'm now going to call the Admissions Office and withdraw my application. The rest of you can thank my for helping boost your odds! Good luck to all on the interviews. :)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 19

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
dwinters wrote:
nullvoid325 wrote:
So unfortunately, I received a ding letter from Booth yesterday. After coming to the terms with it, today, I received an email "Chicago Booth Interview Information" from them, stating that I am matched with an interviewer in my city, along with other interview details. (And no emails after that). So I, of course, called the Admissions office, and they said, "We're very sorry, that was a clerical error." How brutal is that?

You shoulda asked for your money back haha...

It's been a roller-coaster ride. But it's final. I'm indeed invited to interview. So thrilled!
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2012, 09:57