Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Structurer wrote:
hi all,
I came across the following chat from last year's student - adcom chat transcript.

"alan: My first essay exceeds 20 words of your 300 words maximum. Is that acceptable?
Eddie: We really want you to follow the instructions and keep it under the word limit. Try reviewing your response and see if you can edit it."

My essays for this year are 518/500 words for essay 1, 220/200 words for essay 2A and 218/220 words for essay 2b.

Do you guys suggest that the word count limit be strictly followed?
Were there any acceptances in R1 with actual essay word count being greater than suggested word count?

Thanks

I've read before somewhere that it is usually acceptable to be +/- 10% of the word limit (not specifically for Booth, but in general). Now, some other schools will have applications that provide a text box for you to enter your essay text and enforce a hard limit on the maximum word count. Booth's application does not do this.

All of my essays were above the word limit, but less than 110% of the word limit. I needed the extra words to finish the last sentence/idea. However, that was just my experience.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Submitted! Time to switch gears and aim for Darden.
Anybody with me on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Structurer wrote:
hi all,
I came across the following chat from last year's student - adcom chat transcript.

"alan: My first essay exceeds 20 words of your 300 words maximum. Is that acceptable?
Eddie: We really want you to follow the instructions and keep it under the word limit. Try reviewing your response and see if you can edit it."

My essays for this year are 518/500 words for essay 1, 220/200 words for essay 2A and 218/220 words for essay 2b.

Were there any acceptances in R1 with actual essay word count being greater than suggested word count?

Thanks

Your word count is totally fine. I had about the same total word count as you and received an admit for round 1. If reducing your word count lowers the quality of your essay definitely do not do it. However, if you have not done much editing I bet you could easily get it within the required limits and make your essays stronger.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Structurer wrote:
hi all,

Thanks

As a general rule, you should not go above 5% of the word limit. So for 500 words max, up to 525 is ok. Your word counts though for the short answers are too high. Go back and revise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
TgtMBA wrote:
Submitted! Time to switch gears and aim for Darden.
Anybody with me on this?

Same here. Submitted. Now time to aim for Darden & Ucla.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2015
Send PM
hi all

one of my recommenders has still not submitted his recommendation and there's been a accident in his family. I dont know what to do.. does booth allow give additional time to recommenders???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
skmartina wrote:
hi all

one of my recommenders has still not submitted his recommendation and there's been a accident in his
family. I dont know what to do.. does booth allow give additional time to recommenders???

Yes they give recommenders an additional week. I read that in a chat a while back.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Just hit submit. After working non-stop on CFA/GMAT/Applications for the past 16 months, I think I know what it feels like to be released from prison
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
stoweker wrote:
Just hit submit. After working non-stop on CFA/GMAT/Applications for the past 16 months, I think I know what it feels like to be released from prison

Bro, I feel you. Exactly the same here. To be honest, I'm kind of at loose ends now that I *only* have my job and my regular activities.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
elian wrote:
stoweker wrote:

Bro, I feel you. Exactly the same here. To be honest, I'm kind of at loose ends now that I *only* have my job and my regular activities.

I can totally relate. It's nice to be able to actually spend some time on what you LIKE to do. What a concept. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Quant Instructor at IMS, Volunteer at CRY
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Just submitted what should be the second last MBA application of my career. :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
shazbot wrote:
Structurer wrote:
hi all,

Thanks

I've read before somewhere that it is usually acceptable to be +/- 10% of the word limit (not specifically for Booth, but in general). Now, some other schools will have applications that provide a text box for you to enter your essay text and enforce a hard limit on the maximum word count. Booth's application does not do this.

All of my essays were above the word limit, but less than 110% of the word limit. I needed the extra words to finish the last sentence/idea. However, that was just my experience.

From what I have heard from everyone, up to 10% over the word limit should be fine. Honestly, 200 words is very little space.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
ak2012 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Hey guys, did all of you fill in all 12 or even more extracurricular / community involvement activities in the "activities" section. It is pretty extensive!

You don't have to fill all of them. It's OK to have some empty space in your application.

Agreed. I think showing clear commitment and more importantly, impact, is better than having a million activities. In my opinion "everything but the kitchen sink" is not a winning strategy for B-school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
elian wrote:

Agreed. I think showing clear commitment and more importantly, impact, is better than having a million activities. In my opinion "everything but the kitchen sink" is not a winning strategy for B-school.

+1 on that. Quality over quantity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know if you can submit your application prior to both letters of recommendation being submitted? One of my recommenders is spending the afternoon doing a final proofread, and I would prefer to submit my application now to avoid any last minute systems issues. Will my application be marked as incomplete, or is it fine as long as the letter comes in before the deadline?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi, after I submitted, I saw a red X by GMAT score, but logged onto MBA.com and read this:

University of Chicago Booth School of Business - MBA, Full Time
Chicago IL, USA 12/13/2012 12/14/2012

So submitted on the 14th?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
mth1214 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can submit your application prior to both letters of recommendation being submitted? One of my recommenders is spending the afternoon doing a final proofread, and I would prefer to submit my application now to avoid any last minute systems issues. Will my application be marked as incomplete, or is it fine as long as the letter comes in before the deadline?

Thanks.

You can submit your application before the recommenders submit.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts