Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 23:28
MBA2ER wrote:
Does anyone know exactly how alumni interviews are being scheduled? I'm assuming it's a little different from Columbia's ambassador program. The one thing I'm really interested to know is whether the alum knows that you are matched to him/her before you actually contact that alum? I'm asking because my boss went to Booth, and although it's extremely unlikely that I'm matched to him, I would rather that not be a possibility at all given that I don't want my co-workers and least of all my boss to know that I may be leaving in a couple months...


To my knowledge, co-workers cannot be matched, it's a pretty obvious conflict of interests. (I have an alumnus co-worker that gives interviews and he cannot interview me)
Also, I guess that the alum is contacted by the adcom in advance, for example to check availability to interview in that period of the year.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Location: Israel
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.48
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 23:32
MBA2ER wrote:
Does anyone know exactly how alumni interviews are being scheduled? I'm assuming it's a little different from Columbia's ambassador program. The one thing I'm really interested to know is whether the alum knows that you are matched to him/her before you actually contact that alum? I'm asking because my boss went to Booth, and although it's extremely unlikely that I'm matched to him, I would rather that not be a possibility at all given that I don't want my co-workers and least of all my boss to know that I may be leaving in a couple months...


Two thoughts:

- The applicant's opportunity to provide the school with a co-worker's opinion is in the recommendation. I think with the interview the school is looking for as independent and objective a feedback provider they can get. Seems like a co-worker or a close acquaintance of any kind would be inappropriate. Since the school will know where both the applicant and the interviewer are employed, an accidental match seems unlikely.

- If you don't want anyone at your office to know about your MBA plans I assume this came up in some type of "why isn't my supervisor providing my recommendation?" explanation. I would imagine that even if point one above wasn't true that the school will know your feelings on the subject based on that explanation and will be sensitive on the issue.

Basically...I would guess that there is almost zero chance that you will be paired to interview with a colleague.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:20
Good luck to Round 2 candidates tomorrow! I am hoping our fellow GC members do well.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:32
ak2012 wrote:
Good luck to Round 2 candidates tomorrow! I am hoping our fellow GC members do well.

Thanks! Are you going to make it out to Cambridge for AdMIT weekend?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:36
kingfalcon wrote:
ak2012 wrote:
Good luck to Round 2 candidates tomorrow! I am hoping our fellow GC members do well.

Thanks! Are you going to make it out to Cambridge for AdMIT weekend?


I am hoping to make it next weekend. I am still "negotiating" with my manager :).
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:38
ak2012 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
ak2012 wrote:
Good luck to Round 2 candidates tomorrow! I am hoping our fellow GC members do well.

Thanks! Are you going to make it out to Cambridge for AdMIT weekend?


I am hoping to make it next weekend. I am still "negotiating" with my manager :).

Ha. Well good luck with that! I'd be curious to hear how the two weekends compared. Although, after tomorrow, it could be a moot point (for me). :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:44
kingfalcon wrote:
Ha. Well good luck with that! I'd be curious to hear how the two weekends compared. Although, after tomorrow, it could be a moot point (for me). :)


I am hoping that's not the case for you. I am definitely rooting for you to get an invite (and then get in).
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:53
ak2012 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
Ha. Well good luck with that! I'd be curious to hear how the two weekends compared. Although, after tomorrow, it could be a moot point (for me). :)


I am hoping that's not the case for you. I am definitely rooting for you to get an invite (and then get in).

Thanks! I'll PM you so we don't clog up this thread :lol:.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 11:53
Good luck everyone, fingers crossed tomorrow morning!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:26
Does anyone know what time they will send the emails out? Maybe knowing the time will stop me from incessantly checking my inbox all day...probably not. I assume they will send an email, right?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:30
JSull36 wrote:
Does anyone know what time they will send the emails out? Maybe knowing the time will stop me from incessantly checking my inbox all day...probably not. I assume they will send an email, right?


Based on the email received just after submission, it's 9 AM CST.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:54
Good luck to all and myself!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2011
Posts: 249
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 14:05
I was all set to put an application to Booth. I love this school. However, unexpected developments at work and last minute 'give up' threw me off.
I would have loved to be in the thick of this anxiety. Now, I can just say - I feel you, bro! :P

Good luck to all ! :twisted:
_________________

The chase begins ...

BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Status: At peace...
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 245
Location: Comoros
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 15:48
...waiting! No matter the outcome, at least this suffering will come to an end! Wish i can be put into suspended animation, then woken up at exactly 9am CST tomorrow.
_________________

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 47
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 17:24
trentsteel wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:
Does anyone know exactly how alumni interviews are being scheduled? I'm assuming it's a little different from Columbia's ambassador program. The one thing I'm really interested to know is whether the alum knows that you are matched to him/her before you actually contact that alum? I'm asking because my boss went to Booth, and although it's extremely unlikely that I'm matched to him, I would rather that not be a possibility at all given that I don't want my co-workers and least of all my boss to know that I may be leaving in a couple months...


Two thoughts:

- The applicant's opportunity to provide the school with a co-worker's opinion is in the recommendation. I think with the interview the school is looking for as independent and objective a feedback provider they can get. Seems like a co-worker or a close acquaintance of any kind would be inappropriate. Since the school will know where both the applicant and the interviewer are employed, an accidental match seems unlikely.

- If you don't want anyone at your office to know about your MBA plans I assume this came up in some type of "why isn't my supervisor providing my recommendation?" explanation. I would imagine that even if point one above wasn't true that the school will know your feelings on the subject based on that explanation and will be sensitive on the issue.

Basically...I would guess that there is almost zero chance that you will be paired to interview with a colleague.


Agreed, but I'm just worried that the assignments may be done automatically by a computer which may not take into account these constraints. Obviously I'm being paranoid here but let's worry about getting that invite first. Good luck everyone!
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Status: At peace...
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 245
Location: Comoros
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 100

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 19:18
Exactly 12hrs to go!
_________________

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 129
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 01:40
Rise and shine everyone, it's mid-D Day! :)

I cannot appreciate enough Booth's method of having a set date for releasing interview invites. So much better than waiting for that e-mail through weeks and weeks.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 02:19
MBA2ER wrote:
trentsteel wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:
Does anyone know exactly how alumni interviews are being scheduled? I'm assuming it's a little different from Columbia's ambassador program. The one thing I'm really interested to know is whether the alum knows that you are matched to him/her before you actually contact that alum? I'm asking because my boss went to Booth, and although it's extremely unlikely that I'm matched to him, I would rather that not be a possibility at all given that I don't want my co-workers and least of all my boss to know that I may be leaving in a couple months...


Two thoughts:

- The applicant's opportunity to provide the school with a co-worker's opinion is in the recommendation. I think with the interview the school is looking for as independent and objective a feedback provider they can get. Seems like a co-worker or a close acquaintance of any kind would be inappropriate. Since the school will know where both the applicant and the interviewer are employed, an accidental match seems unlikely.

- If you don't want anyone at your office to know about your MBA plans I assume this came up in some type of "why isn't my supervisor providing my recommendation?" explanation. I would imagine that even if point one above wasn't true that the school will know your feelings on the subject based on that explanation and will be sensitive on the issue.

Basically...I would guess that there is almost zero chance that you will be paired to interview with a colleague.


Agreed, but I'm just worried that the assignments may be done automatically by a computer which may not take into account these constraints. Obviously I'm being paranoid here but let's worry about getting that invite first. Good luck everyone!


Ever thought that a computer might take into account current and past employers of both the applicant and potential interviewer when doing the matching? ;)
Current Student
avatar
Status: CBS - Class of 2015
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 02:37
Had a late night here on the east coast (early morning really)... Headed to sleep now...

Just wanted to wish scholarships to all and to all a goodnight!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 06:44
Only a few minutes left to the mid-decision announcement :)

Good luck!
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2013, 06:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
428 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 Narenn 1418 21 Apr 2013, 03:20
534 Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants ak2012 1669 21 Mar 2012, 06:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago Booth Part time 2013-Calling all applicants souvik101990 35 14 Feb 2013, 19:56
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants LongestWaitEVER 162 19 Dec 2012, 09:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  84    Next  [ 1670 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.