Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 17

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 13:19
mkasthe wrote:
Interviewing tomorrow...scared and pumped at the same time! :)

Good luck! I'm interviewing in early March, but I'm already quite scared.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 18:27
How would you know if your interview went well or bad? If somebody is not able to bond with the interviewer ,does that mean it is screwed?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 18:31
Truegmat wrote:
How would you know if your interview went well or bad? If somebody is not able to bond with the interviewer ,does that mean it is screwed?

I think it's really hard to evaluate your own performance after an interview. With my b-school interviews last year, I got dinged at a school where I had a great connection with the interviewer and got into a school where there was no connection at all.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just try and relax!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 07:58
I had my interview with a Booth alum (A Wealth Manager at a bulge-bracket IB) in Mumbai. The interview was very conversational and he totally put me at ease.

I was asked the following questions-

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Extra-curricular activities during undergrad (We discussed my debating experiences in detail)
3. Why MBA ? Why Booth?
4. What are your short-term career goals?
5. What do you do for fun in Mumbai

He spoke at length about the unique features of the Booth MBA program and told me about his experiences in the city of Chicago.

All-in-all it was a comfortable interview and a straight-forward chat as opposed to a grilling :) He was really interested in getting to know me as a person apart from the professional achievements listed on my resume.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 07:34
Truegmat wrote:

The interviews aren't being conducted for you to bond with the interviewer. They are there for you to communicate your story and demonstrate why you'd be a good fit at Booth. Bonding with your interviewer is not necessary to accomplish that goal. Don't over think it and put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 18:59
I had my interview on Friday. Interview was just ok. I send my thank you card on Sunday and I haven't heard anything back. I am worried. Does it mean anything? My interview was done by student. Do they send reply of thank you notes or not?am I reading too much into it?
Manager
Manager

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:14
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Truegmat wrote:

The interviews aren't being conducted for you to bond with the interviewer. They are there for you to communicate your story and demonstrate why you'd be a good fit at Booth. Bonding with your interviewer is not necessary to accomplish that goal. Don't over think it and put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Thanks Cheetarah!!
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 97

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:32
schumacher27 wrote:
I had my interview with a Booth alum (A Wealth Manager at a bulge-bracket IB) in Mumbai. The interview was very conversational and he totally put me at ease.

I was asked the following questions-

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Extra-curricular activities during undergrad (We discussed my debating experiences in detail)
3. Why MBA ? Why Booth?
4. What are your short-term career goals?
5. What do you do for fun in Mumbai

He spoke at length about the unique features of the Booth MBA program and told me about his experiences in the city of Chicago.

All-in-all it was a comfortable interview and a straight-forward chat as opposed to a grilling :) He was really interested in getting to know me as a person apart from the professional achievements listed on my resume.

That, restores my faith! Good luck and i pray everything turn well.

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 22:05
Truegmat wrote:
I had my interview on Friday. Interview was just ok. I send my thank you card on Sunday and I haven't heard anything back. I am worried. Does it mean anything? My interview was done by student. Do they send reply of thank you notes or not?am I reading too much into it?

Yes, you are reading too much into it. I did not receive responses to either school I interviewed at and I was accepted at both.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 1

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:15
This post received
KUDOS
Yikes. After a full day of air travel trying to get into Chicago, and despite going into final descent more than once (then being diverted to Madison, WI), Delta ultimately gave up and flew me back to DC because of the weather. Now I have to tell admissions that I won’t be making my noon interview appointment tomorrow; what a bummer.

I love Booth but that Northern California weather at Haas is looking really good right now.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:24
I couldn't make it in tonight either since my flight got cancelled. Luckily I was able to rebook for tomorrow morning

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:45
mrbucket wrote:
Yikes. After a full day of air travel trying to get into Chicago, and despite going into final descent more than once (then being diverted to Madison, WI), Delta ultimately gave up and flew me back to DC because of the weather. Now I have to tell admissions that I won’t be making my noon interview appointment tomorrow; what a bummer.

I love Booth but that Northern California weather at Haas is looking really good right now.

Oh no that's awful! Delta made the right decision though. The weather here is craptacular right now. Best of luck for your rescheduled interview.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 42

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone,

I had my interview today on campus and the interview was pretty easygoing with few tough questions. I was supposed to fly back to tonight, but my flight was delayed and then rescheduled from 9 pm to 6 AM! Sleeping in the airport tonight along with 200 other people. Hopefully your flights tomorrow will arrive on time. Best of luck with interviews.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 22:58
mtt240 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I had my interview today on campus and the interview was pretty easygoing with few tough questions. I was supposed to fly back to tonight, but my flight was delayed and then rescheduled from 9 pm to 6 AM! Sleeping in the airport tonight along with 200 other people. Hopefully your flights tomorrow will arrive on time. Best of luck with interviews.

Hopefully it will all be worth it!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 12:25
BTW, in your interview are you supposed to use the exact same reasons for MBA from your essays? I added a few reasons in my interview, but I hope that didn't mess up my credibility.
Current Student
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 39

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 13:01
mtt240 wrote:
BTW, in your interview are you supposed to use the exact same reasons for MBA from your essays? I added a few reasons in my interview, but I hope that didn't mess up my credibility.

As long as your reasons don't totally conflict (ex, your essays say you want to be a brand manager and in your interview you say you want to be in IB) it's probably a good thing that you have even more reasons. Of course essays are limited and you have to make cuts, so you can expand and give more depth in your interview.

Interviews would not be as effective if they were a complete mirror of your application.

I hope this quells your fears.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 13:50
Top10MBACandidate wrote:
mtt240 wrote:

As long as your reasons don't totally conflict (ex, your essays say you want to be a brand manager and in your interview you say you want to be in IB) it's probably a good thing that you have even more reasons. Of course essays are limited and you have to make cuts, so you can expand and give more depth in your interview.

Interviews would not be as effective if they were a complete mirror of your application.

I hope this quells your fears.

Thanks! This is actually very reassuring. I had a moment of panic thinking that I screwed up and they would think I didn't write my essays or something. I guess it makes sense that there would be almost no point to the interview if they wanted to hear everything exactly as you put it in your essays. I had to edit out some of my reasons due to the word count, so I brought them up in the interview. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 44 [2] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Just came back from my interview with an alum. Questions were 'Walk me through your resume, why MBA, why now, Why Booth, what do you like to do outside of work, What other schools have you applied to?'

He was also interested to see how my life experiences have shaped my present outlook. Questions went back to as far as my childhood, but it was an easy going conversation. I have no idea how I 'performed' since I didn't feel like I was being judged. Anyway, now that it's over I'm having a hard time suppressing the mental playback :lol:

Hope this helps!

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:17
abman1947 wrote:
I got an invite as well. Anybody interviewing on March 1st or March 2nd?

My interview is March 1. I'm flying into Chicago tonight.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 97

Premium Member
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 16:41
HinConsulting wrote:
abman1947 wrote:
I got an invite as well. Anybody interviewing on March 1st or March 2nd?

My interview is March 1. I'm flying into Chicago tonight.

Good luck!

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 16:41