Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:47

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago Booth v. Kellogg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 16:02
All,

I am genuinely torn between the two schools (although Booth gave me a decent scholarship and Kellogg hasn't given me my financial aid award). I am currently a finance attorney, but I am headed to business school to pick up the fundamentals of management (accounting, finance, strategy, managing enterprises, marketing, etc.) to build up a family enterprise (chain of dental specialty centers) and dabble into other entrepreneurial interests. Essentially, my focus is on entrepreneurship.

I think both programs are great, but have different strengths. Based on what I've seen online and in my visits, it seems that Chicago Booth's entrepreneurial scene is more robust and impressive. Kellogg's health care management program, though, is very strong.

Just want to hear your thoughts on this. As of now, I am leaning towards Booth. If I end up getting a similar scholarship from Kellogg, it will become very tough.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
As I stated, money talks and if you are talking significant money at Booth and end up with nothing at Kellogg...then your decision is easy IMO. If Kellogg ends up being fairly close in gift then its time to make a tough decision.

I am not doing the entrepreneurship path, and I dont think there is a real difference in the reputation of the entrepreneurship of the two schools. Both have solid programs in it, I know Steel is doing some entrepreneurship stuff at Kellogg (choose it over MIT for entrepreneurship too) so he might be worth PMing. Also I dont think this is a path that requires a reputation like many other fields. You will use the same skills as a GM, you will just happen to own the company. If you have a great idea and manage it properly then you will be succesful no matter which school you choose. Yes Kellogg does have a better rep in healthcare but once again you are planning to start your own business not recruit for healthcare jobs then it probably isnt that big of a selling point for you.

One selling point of Kellogg's ent program is the paid internship they put you up for. They will actually set you up with start-up companies that apply so they are screened by the school. Then they pay you better than what start ups typically pay. Kellogg does have the larger selection of electives (overall and entrepreneurship courses). Boh have clubs, I know kellogg has both an entrepreneurship club and a family business club (both might be of interest to you) and I am sure Booth also has a club. Both are going to have some sort of business plan competition (I think steel is working on one right now).

For me the decision is more based on fit. Unfortunately admitted students weekends overlap so you cant attend both. You will enjoy you life at both schools but they do have different personalities. Its hard to see the difference in many ways since students at both schools love them. Things to look at, where do you want to live and what type of community experience are you looking for. The vast majority of Kellogg students live within a mile of the school and each other...this creates an incredibly tight knit community. You can live downtown if you want but it seems like you would miss out on some of the community experience.

I wont say Kellogg's alumni are as close to the school as Tuck but I can tell you reaching out to alums from many years ago, they still feel a strong attachment to the school and community. I have had conversations that go beyond school and they will talk about local bars or things in evanston they did with their friends. I have heard from friends at various other schools about the involvement of alums, and I think Kellogg is one of the strongest in this areas...there is a huge push to involve alums more too. Beyond reaching out to them for the jobs, money, and stuff like that...they are trying to keep them in the fold. The spending on alumni relations has gone up drastically over the last few years and the school realizes their best ambassadors are alums. I know classmates who worked for alums and it is one of the reasons they ended up here.

If you have a significant other moving with you, the JV at Kellogg is a huge sellling point for many couples here. I think this is part of the reason Kellogg has one of the highest percentages of students bringing a significant other with them. I know my wife has made some of the best friends she has ever had here over the last 9 months...trust me when you are slammed with school and recruiting it is nice for them to have that group of people who understands what they are going through. I enjoy having that too since it helps them realize that they are not the only ones dealing with all that stress and time apart. They also do a lot of fun things together and we do a lot of stuff as couples with our friends too.

Either way you go, you are going to have a blast for the next few years. The schools have a lot in common and are great places. I know personally I had schools ranked before I got decisions but promised myself since they were all top 5's if one gave me a lot more money thats where I would go. I got admitted to my #1 and got money so my decision was easy. The easiest decision for you probably will be if Kellogg gives you nothing or way more money. If they end up being very close, you should try to remember what your gut was telling you before you got admits. I know I liked all my schools but definitely felt a stronger pull to Kellogg than the others.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 17:20
Thanks, RR. I agree with everything you said. Basically, if I get a comparable scholarship from Kellogg, it will be about how I feel at both schools. The problem is that I liked both schools quite a bit when I visited. This is why admit weekends are so important. Unfortunately, they're on the same weekend.

I think the internship opportunity is valuable, but I am probably just going to come home that summer and work on our project/start-up. I doubt I will even interview for internships.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 20:24
Just a thought - but Kellogg has a specialized program for people interested in family business and family entrepreneurship (its the best program for family businesses in the world - period).

As for entrepreneurship at Kellogg, it is a pretty vibrant community. I know of several businesses (including one I'm starting) that are getting off the ground by students currently. The Levy center coordinates entrepreneurship opportunities over the summer, the school is extremely well connected with PE and VC in Chicago and elsewhere. There's also a few programs integrated with the rest of the University (one of the highlights being the partnership between Kellogg and the Nanotechnology institute).

Just some thoughts on family business and entrepreneurship at Kellogg. What really impresses me about Kellogg, is that entrepreneurship is built into the fiber of the school - everything we do here is entrepreneurial - from creating classes, trips, clubs, curriculum, a new building, etc.
Current Student

Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 03:54
Thanks for your insight, Steel. I PM'ed you. I want to know more about the family entrepreneurship program.

Any Boothies out there want to chime in?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 05:18
I would but I'm too lazy to type out a nice well thought out reply. Just PM me and we can chat on the phone sometime. :)

Bottom line, it's all the same stuff river was talking about - Booth has a program where they pay you for your internship too, they also have entre club and a family business club, they also have a partner's club just like the JV, they also have entrepreneurship competitions (grubhub.com was one winner and prepme.com was one another that I know of) and of course, just like Kellogg, they also have a strong well established network of alumni. The only thing I'd rebuff is the often-quoted argument that somehow because Booth students don't all live within a half mile of the school they aren't as tight knit as others - that just doesn't hold much water - the community is strong, but I imagine you already knew that.

Bottom line: the two schools are so ridiculously similar, my advice is likely to boil down to trying to squeeze money out of both and whoever gives you more is where you should go.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 06:29
During my visit at Booth, I was very impressed with what's going on at Polsky Center. Enterpreneurship is very strong there and there are tons of program to help. Check the Polsky center.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 13:26
rhyme wrote:
I would but I'm too lazy to type out a nice well thought out reply. Just PM me and we can chat on the phone sometime. :)

Bottom line, it's all the same stuff river was talking about - Booth has a program where they pay you for your internship too, they also have entre club and a family business club, they also have a partner's club just like the JV, they also have entrepreneurship competitions (grubhub.com was one winner and prepme.com was one another that I know of) and of course, just like Kellogg, they also have a strong well established network of alumni. The only thing I'd rebuff is the often-quoted argument that somehow because Booth students don't all live within a half mile of the school they aren't as tight knit as others - that just doesn't hold much water - the community is strong, but I imagine you already knew that.

Bottom line: the two schools are so ridiculously similar, my advice is likely to boil down to trying to squeeze money out of both and whoever gives you more is where you should go.

So what would someone with no cash offered do?:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 14:16
Go with who wanted you more...ie admit vs WL to admit :wink:

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 15:14
Gil wrote:
rhyme wrote:

So what would someone with no cash offered do?:)

Booth of course.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 15:36
Pu, I think you're thinking too much ;-). Booth it is. Both are equally good/prestigious schools, both address your needs and Booth gives you money. The answer is obvious.
Current Student

Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 07:57
garbus, lol. You're right. Right now it is a no-brainer. I applied for scholarships from Kellogg and have not yet heard back. I am supposed to get a provisional package by the end of next week, so I will have a better idea then. As of now, Booth it is, but if Kellogg comes back and matches the Booth Merit Scholarship I got, then it will become a more difficult decision. Overall, all things being equal, I am pretty sure I would head to Booth.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 10:49
Pu, besides I spoke today to a friend of mine who works in a top-class PE firm (think KKR, TPG, Warburg). He told me that b/c of the crisis, they are going to look more critically at the management teams of companies they are backing up financially. He told me (though let's be honest - it's highly subjective) that he would prefer (all other things equal) Booth's graduate. He told me that Booth students are having two attributes he would prefer: they have reputation of being down to earth (v.reasonable) and they are assumed to be technically the best (i.e. high academic rigor). Especially the latter one counts a lot when companies are going to be more careful with granting money.

Anyway, that's what he told me and I though it might be applicable to (to some extent) to your entrepreneurial plans.

So indeed - unless Kellogg matches money then it's a straightforward decision.
Re: Chicago Booth v. Kellogg   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2009, 10:49