Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 00:04
Got into both great programs. A lot of really intelligent and accomplished people on this forum so wanted to get some advice on which one should I choose. Currently work in America in Equity Research but want to work post-MBA in Europe (London) and Asia in PE, IBK (Not S&T or Research) or Strategy Consulting. Dont mind the 2 yr vs. 1 yr factor or slightly more cost at Chicago. Really interested in knowing which of the two will provide the better business education, recrutiting opportunities globally and also has the most prestige/recognizable brandname across the world. Thank you all for your advice.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
MBA2012xyz wrote:
Got into both great programs. A lot of really intelligent and accomplished people on this forum so wanted to get some advice on which one should I choose. Currently work in America in Equity Research but want to work post-MBA in Europe (London) and Asia in PE, IBK (Not S&T or Research) or Strategy Consulting. Dont mind the 2 yr vs. 1 yr factor or slightly more cost at Chicago. Really interested in knowing which of the two will provide the better business education, recrutiting opportunities globally and also has the most prestige/recognizable brandname across the world. Thank you all for your advice.

I think the two programs are fairly even in most elements EXCEPT location. If you plan to work in the US IMMEDIATELY AFTER MBA, then I'll go with chicago. If Not, INSEAD. This is probably most important for the first 2 years post graduation, after which your career progression would mean more than school brand.

I hope this helps.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 12:55
INSEAD sounds pretty good for your case. France campus for your post-MBA London interest and Singapore campus for your post-MBA Asia interest.

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 06:14
I would choose Chicago Booth in your case.

Because
1. It is perceived more stronger in Finance than INSEAD's consulting Strength
2. Booth has campuses in London and also in Singa. As an alum you can always walk in to the local campus and get careers advice.
3. There are a lot of Booth Alumni in London's financial industry and a lot of INSEAD's alumni in London's consulting industry.
4. With Booth you can have an exchange with LBS and establish network through that opportunity also.

Just my 2 cents..
Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 21:58
I'd pick Booth :), even if I'm from Europe, I plan to work in Europe, and I consider consulting as post-mba job.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 23:34
1) Business education - I think you will find that not many schools around the world that match Chicago in academic rigour. I'm here on exchange from LBS so I have some relative perspective. I can tell you that Chicago classes are a LOT of work and go phenomenally in-depth in their content. I'm doing mainly advanced finance courses and some of these here have no equivalent around the world. But the workload I gather is similar across the board. Many many homework assignments - Chicago's reputation of academic rigour and its stereotype of being full of the quanty types are both somewhat true. But strong finance education doesn't necessarily equate to strong business education. One of my constant frustration has been to extract the big picture views from these theory and micro-detail oriented professors.

2) Brand name across the world - There is not much to pick between the two - most folks in recruiting capacity would have heard of both these schools. There are some areas where INSEAD might hold more weight but by and large they'd both be well known as in the top 10 global schools consistently.

3) Recruiting globally - This is an easy one. For your focus of Europe and Asia, INSEAD will hold a definite edge. It places HEAVILY into London and all across the board in Europe. But be aware of the advantage a 2 year programme holds in terms of getting an internship in your desired location. With INSEAD you have the added advantage of being located in Europe already and access to an Asian campus in Singapore. Chicago also has campuses in Singapore and in London, but full time MBA students are based in Chicago.

Good luck.

MBA2012xyz wrote:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 02:10
bsd_lover wrote:
1) Business education - I think you will find that not many schools around the world that match Chicago in academic rigour. I'm here on exchange from LBS so I have some relative perspective. I can tell you that Chicago classes are a LOT of work and go phenomenally in-depth in their content. I'm doing mainly advanced finance courses and some of these here have no equivalent around the world. But the workload I gather is similar across the board. Many many homework assignments - Chicago's reputation of academic rigour and its stereotype of being full of the quanty types are both somewhat true. But strong finance education doesn't necessarily equate to strong business education. One of my constant frustration has been to extract the big picture views from these theory and micro-detail oriented professors.

2) Brand name across the world - There is not much to pick between the two - most folks in recruiting capacity would have heard of both these schools. There are some areas where INSEAD might hold more weight but by and large they'd both be well known as in the top 10 global schools consistently.

3) Recruiting globally - This is an easy one. For your focus of Europe and Asia, INSEAD will hold a definite edge. It places HEAVILY into London and all across the board in Europe. But be aware of the advantage a 2 year programme holds in terms of getting an internship in your desired location. With INSEAD you have the added advantage of being located in Europe already and access to an Asian campus in Singapore. Chicago also has campuses in Singapore and in London, but full time MBA students are based in Chicago.

Good luck.

MBA2012xyz wrote:

excellent observation! in my experiences, you could meet more open-minded and interesting people in INSEAD.
Re: Chicago Booth vs. INSEAD   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 02:10