Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago essay 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Chicago essay 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 16:48
First, can I post essay questions here?

Second:
Basically an essay #2 asks you to select essay question A or question B.
A. asks you to write about most important aspect of your personal development and B. asks you to write about most pressing issue facing humanity.....

I am wondering if this this some mental trap question? Why would they put such different topics under one essay question. I am not sure if I should choose such "selfish" topic relative to B.

Am I being silly?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago essay 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 17:05
Nsentra wrote:
First, can I post essay questions here?

Second:
Basically an essay #2 asks you to select essay question A or question B.
A. asks you to write about most important aspect of your personal development and B. asks you to write about most pressing issue facing humanity.....

I am wondering if this this some mental trap question? Why would they put such different topics under one essay question. I am not sure if I should choose such "selfish" topic relative to B.

Am I being silly?

Post the questions sure. They aint secret!

Here's my take. B is a great question to answer if you can tie it back to something you have a long standing extracurricular or work related activity with. For example, its pretty weak to write about "the environment" when you don't volunteer for greenpeace (which is a crap organization but thats another argument).

To pick B you need to

A. Have a solid subject about which you are passionate
B. Tie it to your experiences
C. Make it believable.

B, to me, is the more "dangerous" option because unless you really have several years in a leadership oriented role with a non-profit or otherwise "altruistic" activity, I suspect your answer will sound contrived and canned.

A is by far the better question. For a couple of reasons:

1. The other GSB essays don't ask you much about your leadership or teamwork ability - Question 3C lets you hit on it, but oh so slightly in 100 words. Question 1 is all about why an mba, why now, why gsb. Its got little to do to highlight your personality (there are ways but its harder).
2. It's a freebie question. You could write about anything here. Your personality, your leadership your teamwork your hair color, whatever.
3. The GSB adcoms have said again and again that they are looking for people who are introspective and self-reflective (to use their words). Essay option A lets you get this across far better than essay B.

In short, I'd use essay A 98% of the time. I'd consider essay B if you have some truly impressive altruistic extracurricular involvement or if you work for a non-profit that saves dolphins. Otherwise, it's a very difficult essay to write.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago essay 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:58
Case closed. Thank you for such detailed response!

rhyme where did you learn about what Chi adcoms are looking for in their applicants?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago essay 2 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 04:08
Nsentra wrote:
Case closed. Thank you for such detailed response!

rhyme where did you learn about what Chi adcoms are looking for in their applicants?

Went to two events held by the adcoms and spent two days on campus during fall preview where, among other things, we walked through three applications with the admissions directors and go to hear their thoughts on each applicant. The introspection thing kept coming up again and again.
Re: Chicago essay 2   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2006, 04:08