Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago GSB questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Chicago GSB questions [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2004, 15:16
Hi Linda/Hjort

I feel stuck on questions for Chicago. Can you give littel more perspective on how to address these two questions?

b. Chicago GSB is seeking a mascot to represent our new facility, The Hyde Park Center. What would your choice be and how will it represent the attributes of the GSB?

I know that I should first identify Chicago 's attributes and then find a mascot that represents those attributes. My questions is what exactly mascot means here? Is it any object or it has to be animal mascot only?

c. If you could step into any celebrity's shoes for a day, who would it be and why?

Thanks very much.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago GSB questions [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2004, 12:19
Expert's post
gmatblast wrote:
Hi Linda/Hjort

I feel stuck on questions for Chicago. Can you give littel more perspective on how to address these two questions?

b. Chicago GSB is seeking a mascot to represent our new facility, The Hyde Park Center. What would your choice be and how will it represent the attributes of the GSB?

I know that I should first identify Chicago 's attributes and then find a mascot that represents those attributes. My questions is what exactly mascot means here? Is it any object or it has to be animal mascot only?

c. If you could step into any celebrity's shoes for a day, who would it be and why?

Thanks very much.

Those are tough questions. They are also opportunities for you to distinguish yourself and show what you can add to your class.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, a mascot is "A person, animal, or object believed to bring good luck, especially one kept as the symbol of an organization such as a sports team."

So it does not have to be an animal. In any case, more important than the animal, person, or thing you suggest ,are your reasons for suggesting it. They will show your understanding of the program.

Same with the question about the celebrity. The person you choose should reflect your interests, and the reasons you choose that person are more important than the actual individual. This question is a great venue to discuss a non-professional interest.

For more advice, please see "Those Wacko Questions."

Also please feel free to join us at the Chicago Admission chatwith members of the Chicago adcom on Thursday November 4 at 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM ET/6:00 PM GMT at http://www.accepted.com/chat .

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Last edited by Accepted.com on 10 Nov 2004, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 07:11
Thanks Linda for your help.

On the celebrity question, I hava a follow up question. Do I have to select a celebrity whose main business is one of my interests? For example, if I love singing, do I have to select a singer as a celebrity?

Can I just not select any celebrity, whose personal qualities I admire and then demonstrate how I have demontrated those qualities in my life?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 09:02
You are not obligated to select a singer just because you are interested in singing. However, if you want to emphasize the fact that singing is one of your main personal interests then, as Linda said above, this is a good "attachment point" for talking about that interest.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 12:33
Expert's post
gmatblast wrote:
Thanks Linda for your help.

On the celebrity question, I hava a follow up question. Do I have to select a celebrity whose main business is one of my interests? For example, if I love singing, do I have to select a singer as a celebrity?

Can I just not select any celebrity, whose personal qualities I admire and then demonstrate how I have demontrated those qualities in my life?

You don't have to choose someone who reflects your interests, but you want each essay to add to the adcoms understanding of you and what you will contribute to your class. If a celebrity that has nothing to do with your interests will accomplish that goal as well as someone who reflects your interests, then fine. Write about that individual.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog