Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago GSB Resume

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Chicago GSB Resume [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2004, 17:20
Linda-

It appears that the GSB requires a very extensive resume...significantly more robust than that required from most other schools.

Attach an expanded resume with the following information included in the list below. List significant employment, beginning with the most recent position held. Please include any Peace Corps, military experience, internship, and co-op experience:

1. Employer
2. Type of Business
3. Street Address, City, State (or Country)
4. Title
5. Dates of Employment (From/To)
6. Salary History (starting salary in US currency and ending/current salary)
7. Number of people supervised
8. Accomplishments:
----a. briefly indicate your achievements;
----b. what you learned from each job;
----c. your career progress;
----d.your reason for leaving, if applicable.

The question is - how detailed can/should we get? Should we bullet point for brevity and readability? Or should we write until we hit all the main points, regardless of length?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2004, 20:13
Actually I have a follow up question, is this just a professional resume(do we exclude academic experience and additional info)? I am confused about this since it is under the the work experience section of the application with no mention of education... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cris
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2004, 04:42
Didn't they provide any template to clear that point ?
Sounds weird to write full address or revenues evolutions on a cv, as well as people supervised which is not relevant for a big part of applicants...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2004, 19:52
no, unfortunately there is no template. I have emailed the school, hopefully they will respond to me soon, otherwise I will just give them a call.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 09:23
I agree - the best way to solve this mystery is to contact the school.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 11:56
Expert's post
crsierra wrote:
no, unfortunately there is no template. I have emailed the school, hopefully they will respond to me soon, otherwise I will just give them a call.

That' the best way to go, but I would use as much space as they give you in the job history.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 21:27
Here is the response straight from the admissions office:

"You do not have to limit the expanded resume to one page. If you want to duplicate the academic information in this section you can."

This tells me that it would be ok to just include work experience. Also if you look at the paper application they only mention work experience, they don't even call it a resume so it seems that length is not an issue(yet I would probably keep it within a couple of pages).

Crsierra
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 07:44
hi there, i have a question regarding the GSB expanded resume ...

they specifically ask you to include what you learned at each company/job. do you think this is something that should be listed separate from the usual accomplishments and responsibilities included in a resume?
or is it sort of implied? like when i say i "automated reports to reduce cycle time" (just an example), does that sort of imply that i learned something about reporting, technology, and efficiency?

just don't want to be redundant....

any suggestions?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 16:54
Expert's post
ceg wrote:
hi there, i have a question regarding the GSB expanded resume ...

they specifically ask you to include what you learned at each company/job. do you think this is something that should be listed separate from the usual accomplishments and responsibilities included in a resume?
or is it sort of implied? like when i say i "automated reports to reduce cycle time" (just an example), does that sort of imply that i learned something about reporting, technology, and efficiency?

just don't want to be redundant....

any suggestions?

They don't want to know that you learned "something." They want to know what you learned about reporting, technology, and efficiency. Also keep in mind the adcom members are people people and busines schoool is supposed to produce team players and leaders. It's a much easier task if the school starts with team players and leaders. So don't just think of lessons learned for your job function. Think about lessons and take-aways for dealing with people and being a future manager.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog