Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 91 [2] , given: 46

Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (02:25) correct 35% (01:20) wrong based on 235 sessions
Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

(A)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

(B)The crust of "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza is more similar to a pie crust than to a traditional pizza-style flatbread and must be baked alone before adding toppings, thus taking longer to prepare than most other types of pizzas.

(C)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because of its crust, resembling a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before adding toppings.

(D)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because its crust, which is more like a pie crust than like a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before toppings are added.

(E)Because its crust is more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.

Need explanation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 103

Re: Chicago-style deep-dish pizza must have its crust [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 04:08
Experts Please confirm my approach

Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

(A)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

Usage of and -> so takes longer to prepare it -> unnecessary reversal of sub-verb correct so it takes longer to cook.
from meaning seems as if someone else is making the pizza
There is another point 'AND' makes clause don't have any link. but i think usage of SO clears this ambiguity . There are questions in gmat prep with correct ans as ' , and so'

(B)The crust of "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza is more similar to a pie crust than to a traditional pizza-style flatbread and must be baked alone before adding toppings, thus taking longer to prepare than most other types of pizzas.

V-ing points to subject 'The crust' - it should be the pizza

(C)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because of its crust, resembling a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before adding toppings.

again Resembling points to Pizza rather that its crust
also for 'must be baked ..' we need a conjunction to join it -> ..., and must ...

(D)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because its crust, which is more like a pie crust than like a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before toppings are added.

correct

(E)Because its crust is more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.

there is no need of sub-verb reversal

so it takes longer to prepare than...

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 08:21
D is the best answer.

But my concern is with this statement: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza ...."

Aren't we comparing time taken to prepare a pizza with pizzas in the above statement?

""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." should be the correct sentence right?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [1] , given: 118

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS

Wrong. Because "it" is not clear. We may think "it" is the pizza crust, not a pizza itself.

Wrong. "thus taking longer....." modifies the subject that is "The crust", not the pizza.

Wrong. "because of its crust.... must be baked" is wrong grammar. Because of + noun phrase, not a clause.

CORRECT.

Wrong. Change meaning. We may think the crust takes longer to bake, but the meaning here is the pizza takes longer to bake.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 199

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 5

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 05:44
Expert's post
anilisanil wrote:
D is the best answer.

But my concern is with this statement: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza ...."

Aren't we comparing time taken to prepare a pizza with pizzas in the above statement?

""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." should be the correct sentence right?

Good discussion on this thread. I would add above that in addition to the pronoun "it" being ambiguous (the GMAT is pretty tolerant of pronoun ambiguity) "it" is completely unnecessary in the given statements.

As for the point quoted above, the comparison is between the attributes of the types of pizza (specifically the preparation time). We could write the sentence this way: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza take to prepare....", but the phrase 'take to prepare' is understood and unnecessary.

Written as ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." compares Chicago style pizza with preparation time.

BTW, I lived in Chicago for 3 years and this passage makes me miss the Chicago-style pizza - it's fantastic...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 02:09
How come here it is acceptable to use "like" in Answer D when usually we have to such "such as"?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 20

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:07
serendipiteez wrote:
How come here it is acceptable to use "like" in Answer D when usually we have to such "such as"?

Like is used here to compare two nouns. In this example - 'pizza crust' to 'pie crust' and 'pizza crust' to 'flatbread'

D)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because its crust, which is more like a pie crust than like a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before toppings are added
Expert Post

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 20:21
Expert's post
serendipiteez wrote:

The GMAT used to be picky about 'like' and not accept its use when the context means 'for example'. The GMAT is ever evolving and the use of like is more flexible now, like in problem V65 where the use of “like” means “for example” and is called “acceptable" in the explanation.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 16:59
KyleWiddison wrote:
anilisanil wrote:
D is the best answer.

Good discussion on this thread. I would add above that in addition to the pronoun "it" being ambiguous (the GMAT is pretty tolerant of pronoun ambiguity) "it" is completely unnecessary in the given statements.

As for the point quoted above, the comparison is between the attributes of the types of pizza (specifically the preparation time). We could write the sentence this way: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza take to prepare....", but the phrase 'take to prepare' is understood and unnecessary.

Written as ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." compares Chicago style pizza with preparation time.

BTW, I lived in Chicago for 3 years and this passage makes me miss the Chicago-style pizza - it's fantastic...

KW

On a similar note i went to chi town last week and this sentence reminded me of the DEEP dish pizza, whose preparation required us to wait for over 45 minutes :).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 17:38
It's "D".
The modifiers are just perfectly placed.

Kudos are motivating! :)

Expert Post

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 05:38
Expert's post
Bluelagoon wrote:
On a similar note i went to chi town last week and this sentence reminded me of the DEEP dish pizza, whose preparation required us to wait for over 45 minutes :).

Now I am jealous :? ! You really can't get good Chicago style pizza outside of Chicago. BTW - good use of the noun modifier starting with "whose" (you also could have used "which) - it clearly refers back to the pizza.

KW

Re: Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust,   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 05:38