Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago trip

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 10:16
I'm going to be taking a 2-day trip to Chicago next week. I plan on visiting Kellogg on Thursday (11/19), and then attending Chicago Booth Live on Friday (11/20). Anyone care to meet up? Maybe someone who wants to check out Kellogg, as I'll be taking a less-structured tour there.

Let me know here or through PM if you're interested!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 13:39
Moss wrote:
I'm going to be taking a 2-day trip to Chicago next week. I plan on visiting Kellogg on Thursday (11/19), and then attending Chicago Booth Live on Friday (11/20). Anyone care to meet up? Maybe someone who wants to check out Kellogg, as I'll be taking a less-structured tour there.

Let me know here or through PM if you're interested!

I did this in May. You should meet many who have the same itinerary at Kellogg on Thursday. There was a group of at least 5 of us who visited Kellogg the day before Chicago Booth Live. Have fun!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:19
Im booked for CBL...i just have to see if I can get 2 days off now, and I'll be at Kellogg on thursday as well.
Current Student

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:37
Anyone have any tips/suggestions for touring Kellogg? Its campus visits seem less structured than Booth Live, so if I have to be active in my approach I want to get the full value from the experience. Thanks.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1531 [0], given: 7

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 15:13
Moss wrote:
Anyone have any tips/suggestions for touring Kellogg? Its campus visits seem less structured than Booth Live, so if I have to be active in my approach I want to get the full value from the experience. Thanks.

Yes, I recommend you just skip Kellogg altogether. It's such a third tier school anyway.

Jokes aside, my advice is to check out more than the Kellogg building, ask someone to point you towards the Norris student center and walk around that area. One of the nice things about NU is its location right on the lake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 15:14
Also, if anyone wants to go out for a drink thursday night let me know
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 15:20
rhyme wrote:

I'm def in for a drink Rhyme.

So if people are planning to go to both Chicago and NW,where should we stay? Is it better by either school?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 16:10
rhyme wrote:
Yes, I recommend you just skip Kellogg altogether. It's such a third tier school anyway.

Yes, well at least we don't need to wear body armor to class to avoid the drive by shootings in Hyde Park.

I actually would disagree with rhyme about exploring other buildings on the NU campus. Yes, the lakefront campus is very nice, but to be completely honest for the most part Kellogg students spend the vast majority of their time in Jacobs. So unless you want to hang out with undergrads (and I'm not judging you if you do), I'd say the time is better spent either sitting in on another class you're interested in or just hanging out in the atrium and talking to current students.

As for where to stay, I'd actually recommend staying in downtown Chicago since its roughly midway between the two schools. If you stay in Evanston, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride down to the southside ghetto that Booth calls home, and if you stay in Hyde Park, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride up to the upscale northside area where Kellogg is.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 19:58
Jerz wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Yes, well at least we don't need to wear body armor to class to avoid the drive by shootings in Hyde Park.

I actually would disagree with rhyme about exploring other buildings on the NU campus. Yes, the lakefront campus is very nice, but to be completely honest for the most part Kellogg students spend the vast majority of their time in Jacobs. So unless you want to hang out with undergrads (and I'm not judging you if you do), I'd say the time is better spent either sitting in on another class you're interested in or just hanging out in the atrium and talking to current students.

As for where to stay, I'd actually recommend staying in downtown Chicago since its roughly midway between the two schools. If you stay in Evanston, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride down to the southside ghetto that Booth calls home, and if you stay in Hyde Park, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride up to the upscale northside area where Kellogg is.

LOLOLOL....wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..

Anywho, couldn't agree more...with the where to stay part....I stayed downtown Chicago when I was there. Like Jerz said, it is about halfway between the two schools.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 14:52
I'll probably be attending those days as well. PM me!

Rhyme, definitely down for a drink on Thursday.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 18:07
rhyme wrote:

Hi Rhyme,

Count me in. Could you drop me a PM with details.

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1749 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 18:48
Expert's post
Hey guys, let me know your final plan. I don't have any classes on Thursday but maybe I will substitute my Friday class for Thursday one. So, we can meet at Harper Center.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 22:25
I have a completely full schedule on thursdays. Next friday at Booth I bet will be a little slower than most. I know a lot of people here that don't have classes on friday are taking off early for the holidays. Thursdays at Kellogg aren't that exciting, you wont get to see TG or anything like that. However, it will probably be less crowded...today there were 200 visitors on campus I guess. Do not go to an accounting or finance class. You are much better off attending something much more interactive like marketing or strategy...if you go to a finance class try to get into international fin or entrepreneurial fin. Much more interesting than a plain boring core fin class.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2009, 18:00
Thanks for the tip, RR. Does anyone else have suggestions for good classes to visit at Kellogg this Thursday?

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 07:01
Any idea on what could be a proper attire for the chicago live?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 07:20
rao_1857 wrote:

Most people go business casual, a few people wear suits. Those in suits usually stick out like blinking neon signs and frankly look a little silly. I'd suggest business casual if you want to "blend in" with candidates, and jeans if you want to blend in with students and don't mind being a little more dressed down than the average candidate. Either way, you won't be judged on what you wear so don't spend much time fretting about it.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 09:06
rhyme wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

Most people go business casual, a few people wear suits. Those in suits usually stick out like blinking neon signs and frankly look a little silly. I'd suggest business casual if you want to "blend in" with candidates, and jeans if you want to blend in with students and don't mind being a little more dressed down than the average candidate. Either way, you won't be judged on what you wear so don't spend much time fretting about it.

Thanks Rhyme!!!

bottom line: DONT wear suits.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 17:02
Moss wrote:
Thanks for the tip, RR. Does anyone else have suggestions for good classes to visit at Kellogg this Thursday?

Prof. Grayson teaches the core marketing class at 1:30 and 3:30 on Thursday afternoons. There's not a lot of space for visitors but if you can sit in I'd highly recommend it. He and Prof. Hennessy are the most sought after professors for the intro course.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 17:25
Hmm, I may be coming from work which equals suit. Maybe I'll just bring a change of clothes! :lol:

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Current Student

Re: Chicago trip [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 18:17
Jerz wrote:
Moss wrote:

Prof. Grayson teaches the core marketing class at 1:30 and 3:30 on Thursday afternoons. There's not a lot of space for visitors but if you can sit in I'd highly recommend it. He and Prof. Hennessy are the most sought after professors for the intro course.

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking to focus on finance for my MBA -- any suggested courses that would appeal to someone going into the finance industry (specifically i-banking or equity research)?

Thanks!

Re: Chicago trip   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2009, 18:17