Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago vs Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 21:14
nick_sun wrote:
Wharton is a GND program. The current student has just clarified :) So there is no difference in academic rigor of Chicago or Wharton (amended my previous post).

i am not sure that GND is the yardstick for academic rigor. i agree that both of the schools are probably similar in terms of rigor (how do you measure this anyway?) since they are both top schools with quant slants. i would argue though that the rigor has more to do with curriculum structure, individual course selection, and, to a lesser extent, peer competition. at the end of the day, however, i think the rigor is basically what you make of it -- if you get into either school, you can handle the rigor and won't fail out.

my wharton interviewer straight up told me not to work hard if i get in. i said "oh no, don't say that," to which he laughed, told me to get drunk a lot and meet as many people as possible. he told me the work load is not that bad. i guess it's all relative though -- if you're a banker, nothing is going to be as bad as 100 hour weeks. likewise (to a slightly lesser extent) chugging 60-70 hours a week at work and trying to pound through the CFA is probably a lot harder than b-school. which reminds me, back to level 3 (fun times on a saturday night!!!).
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2008, 21:23
Probably, you are right. It may be "rigor" rather than "academic rigor". But it is all connected with the grades, so it can define how hard you will work at school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 05:39
Students at every school I have talked to said grades are far different than high school and undergrad. The vast majority of students get B's, then a small amount at the top get A's, and people at the bottom get C's. One professor I talked to at a school with grade disclosure said they had a meeting a few years ago where the administration said that they wanted some professors to actually give out grades below Bs. You do the work and put the effort in, participate in class, and study for an exam to at least do fairly well...and you will get at least a B. One student noted that sponsored students and those returning to their old employer typically do the worst since they dont really care as much, and some students put way more into recruiting and networking than classes. Obviously some sponsored students will work very hard and some non-sponsored will do nothing.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 09:56
Wharton does have a GND, the administration wants disclosure but leaves the issue up to the student government which opts for a GND. I think both schools would be great but here's what I came away with after visiting Wharton. City, yea Philly isn't that great but center city (where you will live) + university city are very nice. Honestly the areas I saw were great and you don't have to venture outside of that. Location is better than Chicago, close to NYC, Philly which helps if you want to do IB/PE etc...since you can make more trips to the companies offices (this is what I was told, don't really know how it helps except to spread things out versus the nyc interview week offered by a lot of other schools). Wharton has a lot of programmes in int'l business that cross over to research centers on campus, which for me is a big plus. Both schools will give you a great platform, everyone I met at Wharton loved it and I'm sure everyone at GSB will say the same...go with location if you have to choose.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 14:48
Just to add this if I may. This is one amazingly awesome decision to have to make. Both schools have some strengths and weaknesses, but both are also probably the best two finance schools in the world. Even outside of finance, each school holds its own in most other fields. Not a bad decision to have to make.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2008, 21:45
nick_sun wrote:
Wharton is a GND program. The current student has just clarified :) So there is no difference in academic rigor of Chicago or Wharton (amended my previous post).

I am not clear what this means? So both Chicago and Wharton is GND program?
So you don't state your grades when you are asked in interviews?

And when people reply by saying which city you like better, wouldn't you be in that city for approximately 2 years, unless you choose a job in that city. Wouldn't both schools be able to place you anywhere in the nation?

I would visit both schools if possible, and see which has a better click with your personal lifestyle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 08:42
rhyme wrote:
I have some good comments on this stuff, but im very hungover at the moment, so I'll try to come back later when my eyes dont feel like they are being squished.

Still waiting for your good comments :) Would love to have your input.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Some more thoughts:

Wharton is probably the most recognized B-school on earth (perhaps even more than HS), I don't know if you guys remember when I asked what is the importance of the main institution at the B-school? Well, when I was thinking whether or not I should apply to Wharton (after being admitted to GSB) I made some research of the B-schools academics and prestigiousness (is it a word? :) ):

Claimed Nobel Laureates:
University of Chicago: 81
University of Pennsylvania: 19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Priz ... ffiliation

Economics Nobel Laureates:
UofC: 10
UPenn: 1
For the B-schools it would be (6 for 1)
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/

Total University Endowment:
UofC:U$6.2Bi (total undergrad and grad students: 14,700)
UPenn: U$6.78Bi (total undergrad and grad students: 19,800)

B-School Faculty Number:
GSB: 175
Wharton: 304

In terms of ranking we all know that Wharton has always been among the TOP3 schools, while GSB among the TOP5, I'd say that rank wise Wharton is the clear winner here.

I met a bunch of people during GSB admit weekend who were deciding between these 2 schools, and from what they told me most of them were leaning towards GSB (not sure though if they told this because they were in Chicago at that time).

Once again: You can't go wrong with neither of them, so if you have to choose, good for you. 8-)

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 11:06
How do these 2 schools compare to each other in terms of workload? In general, how many hours per week does one dedicate to the school, to work, to recruiting events, etc? Are we talking 60 - 70 hours per week, more, less? How do the other schools fare on that point of view btw? I know it depends on the courses you choose, etc, but I would like to have a broad idea.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 11:07
kwam wrote:
Some more thoughts:

Wharton is probably the most recognized B-school on earth (perhaps even more than HS), I don't know if you guys remember when I asked what is the importance of the main institution at the B-school? Well, when I was thinking whether or not I should apply to Wharton (after being admitted to GSB) I made some research of the B-schools academics and prestigiousness (is it a word? :) ):

Claimed Nobel Laureates:
University of Chicago: 81
University of Pennsylvania: 19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Priz ... ffiliation

Economics Nobel Laureates:
UofC: 10
UPenn: 1
For the B-schools it would be (6 for 1)
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/

Total University Endowment:
UofC:U$6.2Bi (total undergrad and grad students: 14,700)
UPenn: U$6.78Bi (total undergrad and grad students: 19,800)

B-School Faculty Number:
GSB: 175
Wharton: 304

In terms of ranking we all know that Wharton has always been among the TOP3 schools, while GSB among the TOP5, I'd say that rank wise Wharton is the clear winner here.

I met a bunch of people during GSB admit weekend who were deciding between these 2 schools, and from what they told me most of them were leaning towards GSB (not sure though if they told this because they were in Chicago at that time).

Once again: You can't go wrong with neither of them, so if you have to choose, good for you. 8-)

Good stuff Kwam!

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
Audio wrote:
How do these 2 schools compare to each other in terms of workload? In general, how many hours per week does one dedicate to the school, to work, to recruiting events, etc? Are we talking 60 - 70 hours per week, more, less? How do the other schools fare on that point of view btw? I know it depends on the courses you choose, etc, but I would like to have a broad idea.

Its going to vary a LOT. If you take Kevin Murphy's Turbo Microeconomics course, its not uncommon for people to quote figures like 20 hours a week -- just for his class. Other super popular courses are also heavy workloads -- the new venture challenge for instance, I think averages 11 hours.

Most courses seem to require approx 3 to 4 hours outside of class. With four courses per week, thats 12 hours in class, with approx 16 outside -- lets say 30 total for attending class and doing the homework. If you push yourself a bit, expect a bit more, maybe 35. Throw in a couple group meetings here and there that tend to take longer than you always think they will, and 40 seems like a reasonable figure. Now, layer in some extracurricular activities, volunteering, etc, and 50 hours isn't hard to get to. Layer in recruiting dinners, social cocktail hours, meetings with career services, mock interviews, actual interviews, resume editing, company research, cover letter editing, day-at-company events, coffee chats, conversations with alumni, meetings with current students, flying out for 2nd rounds, going to 3-hour long back to back consulting interviews, commuting.... and for a few weeks there in the winter, yea, you'll cry uncle.....

Let me be clear: If you think graduate school is going to be a time to 'work on your tan' or 'improve your golf game', if you plan on going to a top 10 - or even a top 15 probably - I'd say you had best adjust your expectations. Wharton, Chicago, or other.... expect to earn your MBA.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 17:46
Very aptly put rhyme, kudos
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 18:09
EUR/USD 1,5829

Nikkei down 514 points...

It's going to be a mad Monday...

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 22:51
kwam wrote:
EUR/USD 1,5829

It is going to be a mad year (or two).

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 05:04
xerox wrote:
kwam wrote:
EUR/USD 1,5829

It is going to be a mad year (or two).

Ops sorry, it was in the wrong thread...

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 12:21
Audio wrote:
rhyme wrote:
I have some good comments on this stuff, but im very hungover at the moment, so I'll try to come back later when my eyes dont feel like they are being squished.

STILL waiting for your comments :-D

The choice is, I have to admit, excruciating, and although I know that professionally I can't go wrong, the choice on a personal point of view is so difficult...

PS: how do the partying and the sports compare? Those are the things I love the most in life :)

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 12:38
Audio wrote:
Audio wrote:
rhyme wrote:

STILL waiting for your comments :-D

The choice is, I have to admit, excruciating, and although I know that professionally I can't go wrong, the choice on a personal point of view is so difficult...

PS: how do the partying and the sports compare? Those are the things I love the most in life :)

Come on, are you really asking us that, are you comparing Philly to Chi-town, regarding partying and sports, or are you comparing UofC and UPenn?

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 14:14
rhyme wrote:
Let me be clear: If you think graduate school is going to be a time to 'work on your tan' or 'improve your golf game', if you plan on going to a top 10 - or even a top 15 probably - I'd say you had best adjust your expectations. Wharton, Chicago, or other.... expect to earn your MBA.

Well-said, rhyme. Looks like my golf game will have to wait until summer 2011...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 17:02
Hehe well let's compare sports...

Sixers > Bulls - This year, especially after Feb.
Flyers > Blackhawks
Eagles = Bears - Rex, nuff said
Phillies = Cubs - Both are going to be great...but Chicago wins cause of the White Sox 2 to 1

I don't know anything about UChicago or UPenn college sports. :-D
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago vs Wharton [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 17:15
shmegs wrote:
Hehe well let's compare sports...

Sixers > Bulls - This year, especially after Feb.
Flyers > Blackhawks
Eagles = Bears - Rex, nuff said
Phillies = Cubs - Both are going to be great...but Chicago wins cause of the White Sox 2 to 1

I don't know anything about UChicago or UPenn college sports. :-D

http://beta.uchicago.edu/features/20080324.shtml

It's kind of have 2 x1 here for Philly then, let's talk about Partying :-D

PS - Don't bring that NYC is 1.5 hours by train, otherwise I'd say that Chicago's downtown is just 15 minutes away from the Harper Center...

PS - I'm just kidding here...

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Re: Chicago vs Wharton   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2008, 17:15