Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 11:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (02:04) correct 45% (00:48) wrong based on 41 sessions
208. Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city, was plagued by labor troubles like the Pullman Strikes of 1894.
(A) where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city-- Incorrect
(B) which had industrial growth in the nineteenth century more rapid than that of other American cities
(C) which had growth industrially more rapid than any other American city in the nineteenth century
-- Incorrect
(D) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city
-- Incorrect
(E) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than that of any other American city

Please explain your answers.....
A,C and D are incorrect coz they are comparing growth with cities.
Pls explain choices B & E?
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 4

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
This is a tricky problem.

Most people would think that between "which" and "whose," the correct pronoun to use is "which" because we are referring to an inanimate object.

However, there is a GMAT precedence for the use of "whose" to reference inanimate objects. The rule is that the pronoun "whose" should be used for a possessive antecedent.

eg.

"The play, whose stye is formal, is typical of that period."

Also, the sentence in solution B uses the incorrect superlative form to compare the growth of Chicago and other cities. When we are comparing growth in multiple cities, the comparative form should be something along the lines of"...most rapid," not "...more rapid."

Answer E doesn't have this issue because we are only comparing growth between Chicago and any other city (singular).

The answer should be E

HTH!

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 00:32
papillon,

please do not mark the answers at first. It would bias people.
Let them try to get the answer without any guide.

If you want, you could put the answer in a later post.
This is also a way of studying for other people

cheers
:)

papillon86 wrote:
208. Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city, was plagued by labor troubles like the Pullman Strikes of 1894.
(A) where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city-- Incorrect
(B) which had industrial growth in the nineteenth century more rapid than that of other American cities
(C) which had growth industrially more rapid than any other American city in the nineteenth century
-- Incorrect
(D) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city
-- Incorrect
(E) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than that of any other American city

Please explain your answers.....
A,C and D are incorrect coz they are comparing growth with cities.
Pls explain choices B & E?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 05:12
@GMATBootcamp
i read about possessive antecedent on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_antecedent
but cannot conclude that Chicago to be possessive antecedent ...

Can u pls explain more on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 16:03
@talk2pk Wikipedia would fail the GMAT. The example it gives is incorrect in GMAT english.

"Winston Churchill's history shows him to have been a good writer."

The pronoun "him" can't refer to a possessive noun, it grammatically refers to history. The correct sentence should be:

"Winston Churchill's history shows Winston Churchill to have been a good writer."

As for the possessiveness of Chicago... the modifying phrase is talking about growth, and not just any growth - Chicago's growth is more rapid than the growth of other cities. The use of the word "which" turns the phrase into a modifier that only serves to describe Chicago.

HTH!

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:40
okay...a silly but a nice question..if we change option A to

(A) where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than "in" any other American city

Will this be the right option as well?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 10:08
will go with B.
The sentence is using two verbs which are in past tense(growth and plagued) . One of them shd use past perfect tense as given in B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 03:29
B for me but i think had is not the right choice.. wats the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 08:20
Man, posters need to fill in with the OA. I have no clue what the OA is but I picked E because it makes the most sense...
Manager
Manager
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:08
OA is 'E'

As explained above: Choice B - "more rapid than that of other American cities" - "any" is missing here.

PS: If you ever need to find answer to an SC question, Just google a sentence fragment.

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 22:26
I also considered E is correct as it sound me better, but any other vs other is main reason or whose vs which.
any clue?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 00:20
GMATBootcamp wrote:
This is a tricky problem.

Also, the sentence in solution B uses the incorrect superlative form to compare the growth of Chicago and other cities. When we are comparing growth in multiple cities, the comparative form should be something along the lines of"...most rapid," not "...more rapid."

Answer E doesn't have this issue because we are only comparing growth between Chicago and any other city (singular).

HTH!

It seems as if B is altering the meaning of the sentence.The intended meaning of the original sentence is that Chicago's growth is the highest of all cities whereas B says that Chicagos's growth is higher than than that of other cities.
Is this what u r trying to explain

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 11:21
A and D both compare industrial growth with American city so they are out.

But, what about B and C? B compares industrial growth with industrial growth (that of other American cities), and C compares Chicaco with other American city so they are both fine for me.

Could anybody clarify the point made above?

OA is E.

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 12:30
+1 E

@noboru:
I think that B is wrong because compares Chicago's growth with the growth of other cities as a whole. You have to compare Chicago's growth with each growth of the other cities. It has to be an analysis case by case.

C is wrong because it changes the meaning. "industrialLY more rapid" doesn't make sense.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: SC 1000/208 Help! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 06:42
IMO E
In option B, more than two cities are compared.i.e.,chicago's X is compared to X of other american cities. Hence, we need to use superlative form of comparison here. In option E comparative form is correctly used to compare Chicago's X to any other city's X(just one city).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2014, 05:31