Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everybody! Wanted to ask for your advice. Which school is more reasonable to choose - Chicago or Ross with full tuition schoolarship? My career goal is consulting. Thank you in advance!
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:31
Kastel wrote:
Hi everybody! Wanted to ask for your advice. Which school is more reasonable to choose - Chicago or Ross with full tuition schoolarship? My career goal is consulting. Thank you in advance!

Are you aiming for M/B/B?

I would take Chicago.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:32
Chicago!

POLL IT UP YO!

"George is getting upset!"

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:39
chicago! invest in yourself! i am sure you will get a better return ratio with the way the stock market is going these days!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:45
First of all, congratulations!

I'd be inclined to suggest Chicago as well if one is aiming for M/B/B. However, Ross has some great consulting opportunities as well (including M/B/B, but not to the same level).

So if you are able to afford Chicago, or expect to do so, I would chose that.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:46
Ross, then take your $90,000 and start your own consulting firm. That's baller.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:56
rjacobs wrote:
Ross, then take your $90,000 and start your own consulting firm. That's baller.

Totally agree with rjacobs. Ross and use the $$ to start up your own.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 14:22
I believe helg was in this position last year. Might pay to pm him. He ended up choosing Chicago in the end (he used a poll - hopefully not to make this life decision ;) )
Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 14:32
I would take the full tuition and would love every minute of debt free education at Ross.
Disclaimer: I will be at Ross next year and I am in absolute awe of the University of Chicago. I would still choose Ross.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell Johnson School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 14:38
Have a look at this

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/umichmba/home.aspx

and

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/chicagobooth/home.aspx

McKinsey doesn't have a dedicated recruiting site + recruiters for ANY US school outside the M7 except for Ross.

Probably syas something about the strength of MC recruiting at Ross.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 14:50
wonderhaven wrote:
Have a look at this

and

McKinsey doesn't have a dedicated recruiting site / dedicated recruiters for ANY school outside the M7 except for Ross.

That's not true. They have a dedicated recruiting site and recruiters for what looks like 20+ schools. Check the pulldown menu near the bottom:

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/is_mcki ... s/mba.aspx
Current Student

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 15:00
No - they have a GENERIC site and NO dedicated recruiters for ALL other schools outside the M7+Ross.

For example you might want to check their site for Cornell / Duke / Haas etc. to see the difference.....

Ross is the only school outside the M7 with a dedicated site and 4 dedicated recruiters - not sure if this means anything but it's interesting!

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
wonderhaven wrote:
Have a look at this

and

McKinsey doesn't have a dedicated recruiting site / dedicated recruiters for ANY school outside the M7 except for Ross.

That's not true. They have a dedicated recruiting site and recruiters for what looks like 20+ schools. Check the pulldown menu near the bottom:

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 15:38
wonderhaven wrote:
No - they have a GENERIC site and NO dedicated recruiters for ALL other schools outside the M7+Ross.

For example you might want to check their site for Cornell / Duke / Haas etc. to see the difference.....

Ross is the only school outside the M7 with a dedicated site and 4 dedicated recruiters - not sure if this means anything but it's interesting!

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
wonderhaven wrote:
Have a look at this

and

Still incorrect. Check out Tuck:

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/tuck/home.aspx
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 16:11
McKinsey recruited at following schools in the past based on their webpage:

Babson
Carnegie Mellon
Chicago (Dedicated Recruiter)
Columbia (Dedicated Recruiter)
Cornell (Dedicated Recruiter)
Dartmouth (Dedicated Recruiter)
Duke (Dedicated Recruiter)
Emory
Georgetown
HBS (Dedicated Recruiter)
Indiana
INSEAD (Dedicated Recruiter)
IMD
Kellogg (Dedicated Recruiter)
LBS (Dedicated Recruiter)
Michigan State
MIT (Dedicated Recruiter)
NYU (Dedicated Recruiter)
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rice
Stanford (Dedicated Recruiter)
Berkley (Dedicated Recruiter)
UCLA (Dedicated Recruiter)
Illinois
Maryland
Michigan (Dedicated Recruiter)
Minnesota
North Carolina (Dedicated Recruiter)
Notre Dame
UPenn (Dedicated Recruiter)
Pittsburgh
Rochester
USC
Virginia (Dedicated Recruiter)
Texas (Dedicated Recruiter)
Vanderbilt
Washington University in ST. Louis
Yale (Dedicated Recruiter)

Each school has a dedicated site. They also have a page for any school they don't recruit specifically. I also know for a FACT that they have a dedicated recruiter at NYU Stern for their media/entertainment industry consulting. Also, Yale has a dedicated recruiter for the school.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 16:44
I'd go with Ross. I won't even think twice (but that's just me).
It takes awhile to catchup to that 90k.
Ross still gives u a shot at m/b/b too. Although Chi is the better school..it's probably only 1 layer difference.
If it's Stanfie/Harv...maybe you need to think again.
Current Student

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 16:46
thanks ninkorn!

you say "Each school has a dedicated site": not really - if you choose the dropdown for Babson - you end up at an "other schools" generic site which isn't exactly dedicated to Babson.

Ok here's my point....compare the sites for tuck/nyu and ross - am i the only one seeing a significant difference in these sites?

tuck: 1 recruiter
nyu: 1 recruiter
ross: 4 recruiters (which includes 2 Ross "Staff Ambassadors" plus a welcoming letter from a Ross alum partner (with his photo).

ninkorn wrote:
McKinsey recruited at following schools in the past based on their webpage:

Babson
Carnegie Mellon
Chicago (Dedicated Recruiter)
Columbia (Dedicated Recruiter)
Cornell (Dedicated Recruiter)
Dartmouth (Dedicated Recruiter)
Duke (Dedicated Recruiter)
Emory
Georgetown
HBS (Dedicated Recruiter)
Indiana
INSEAD (Dedicated Recruiter)
IMD
Kellogg (Dedicated Recruiter)
LBS (Dedicated Recruiter)
Michigan State
MIT (Dedicated Recruiter)
NYU (Dedicated Recruiter)
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rice
Stanford (Dedicated Recruiter)
Berkley (Dedicated Recruiter)
UCLA (Dedicated Recruiter)
Illinois
Maryland
Michigan (Dedicated Recruiter)
Minnesota
North Carolina (Dedicated Recruiter)
Notre Dame
UPenn (Dedicated Recruiter)
Pittsburgh
Rochester
USC
Virginia (Dedicated Recruiter)
Texas (Dedicated Recruiter)
Vanderbilt
Washington University in ST. Louis
Yale (Dedicated Recruiter)

Each school has a dedicated site. They also have a page for any school they don't recruit specifically. I also know for a FACT that they have a dedicated recruiter at NYU Stern for their media/entertainment industry consulting. Also, Yale has a dedicated recruiter for the school.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 17:01
Wonderhaven,

I don't think either ninkorn or I want to argue we just want to make sure you are posting factual information for people that are trying to make a decision between 2 schools. To suggest that Ross has significantly stronger Mck recruiting then any other non M7 school is just not accurate and I don't want somebody factoring that into their decision. For example, a quick stat for you:

Mck hires from Ross - 16
Ross class size approx 450
Mck hires from Tuck - 20
Tuck class size approx 250
NYU and Yale don't report numbers to BW.

Ross is an amazing school and I could very see an argument for choosing it with 90K over Chicago (though I won't weigh in on that one because its a tough choice and since I don't have enough info I'll stay neutral). I just want to make sure accurate information is posted for someone that's trying to make an important decision. Thanks!

EDIT: I should add that I went through some of the other 10-15 school reports and I think Ross was the highest. 16 is a VERY high number of Mck recruits!! Just wanted to throw in some Ross love :-D
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 17:02
The popular decision is typically to go to the higher ranked school, but the economic conditions and the uncertainty in the job market should make you think very hard before taking this decision.

In your shoes, I would take the $$ and go to Ross. In my mind, there is not a lot of difference between the consulting opportunities provided by the 2 schools. MC recruiting will be brutal for the next couple of years or until the market fully recovers, so give yourself the financial freedom so that you can vigorously pursue your goals.

I would also argue that looking at pure recruiting numbers will never give you the full picture. No MC firm is going to take you just because you to Booth. So long as a company actively recruits, its mainly upto you and how you do in the case interview. Good luck with your decision!

Full disclosure : MBA1 at Ross here.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 17:14
Full disclosure: MBA1 at Ross

I would agree about the $$, mitigates your risk in going to school. But do believe that pure interview #s show how hard it is to even get interview slots at Ross... Are you trying MC, ncprasad, and if so, then post the number of intern interviews by firm this year. I have an idea, but not sure about exact #s. I've heard McK-100,Booz-20, BCG - 20 (dropped from 60?), Bain - 60?

At Kellogg, from what I've heard, basically anybody who wanted any one of those firms got interviews, but that's just hearsay. Obviously there are some more students at Chicago or Kellogg, but if you want availability or a chance to get in front of recruiters...... There are a ton of people who did a lot of networking, look good on paper, but for one reason or another, don't get interview slots... Then you gotta bid... Booz went for 70% of your entire point allotment this year. I think everybody should get a shot at what they are dying to do or paid 90k to go to Bschool for - recruiting opportunities. I'm personally not in this game.

ncprasad wrote:
The popular decision is typically to go to the higher ranked school, but the economic conditions and the uncertainty in the job market should make you think very hard before taking this decision.

In your shoes, I would take the $$ and go to Ross. In my mind, there is not a lot of difference between the consulting opportunities provided by the 2 schools. MC recruiting will be brutal for the next couple of years or until the market fully recovers, so give yourself the financial freedom so that you can vigorously pursue your goals.

Full disclosure : MBA1 at Ross here.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 17:20
I am not recruiting for MC, nor am I privy to the exact numbers. For that matter, none of the consulting companies have made final offers, so it may even be too early to judge the general ability of the school to attract MC firms without knowing what the eventual numbers are.

holdengk, you raise a good point, but I dont know if a judgement can be based only based on the number of interview slots at Ross(at this point, we dont know the number of interview slots at Booth and thus cant make a legitimate comparison). As I mentioned before, 2 years of tuition is a lot of money and both sides of the argument need to be looked at closely. Seeking sanctuary in higher recruiting #s is not going to give you an advantage. People who are good enough will make the cut and unfortunately in this market, good enough may not always be good enough.
Re: Chicago (without $) versus Ross (with $)   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2009, 17:20