Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Sep 2016, 17:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 21

Premium Member
Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2012, 22:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:29) correct 32% (01:31) wrong based on 242 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about higher-than-expected
growth in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) results in an increase in stock prices.

However, this quarter, the release of data about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in
a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices. Robust GDP growth will lead to higher
interest rates, increasing the attractiveness of bonds and causing a shift of capital from
equity to debt securities.
In the above argument, the statements in boldface play which of
the following roles?
A) The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist;
the second is that conclusion.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the
case at issue; the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
c) The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a
consequence that follows from that generalization.
d) The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the
second is that prediction.
e) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in
the case at issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not
hold.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 839

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 21:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 05:51
B. The main point that the economist wants to make is that the causality mentioned in BF1 won't happen this time. The economist is using BF2 in order to support his claim that the causality won't be repeated.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 09:33
[quote="GetThisDone"]Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about higher-than-expected
growth in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) results in an increase in stock prices.

However, this quarter, the release of data about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in
a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices. Robust GDP growth will lead to higher
interest rates, increasing the attractiveness of bonds and causing a shift of capital from
equity to debt securities.
In the above argument, the statements in boldface play which of
the following roles?
A) The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist;
the second is that conclusion.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the
case at issue; the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
c) The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a
consequence that follows from that generalization.
d) The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the
second is that prediction.
e) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in
the case at issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not
hold.

Briefly:
Data about higher-than-expected growth results in an increase of GDP. BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE THAT WORKS AS AN COUNTERCONCUSION
However,this quarter, data about h-t-expected growth will cause adverse effect. CONCLUSION
This happens because.. PREMISE THAT SUPPORTS THE CONCLUSION

The only optionn that matches the analysis is B
Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2016, 09:33