Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (02:40) correct 13% (02:17) wrong based on 41 sessions
Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about higher-than-expected growth in the Gross
Domestic Product (GDP) results in an increase in stock prices
. However, this quarter, the release of data
about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices. Robust GDP
growth will lead to higher interest rates, increasing the attractiveness of bonds and causing a shift
of capital from equity to debt securities.
In the above argument, the statements in boldface play which of
the following roles?
• The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist; the second is that
conclusion.
• The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the
second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
• The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a consequence that follows
from that generalization.
• The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the second is that
prediction.
• The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the
second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not hold.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 4

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about higher-than-expected growth in the Gross
about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices. Robust GDP
growth will lead to higher interest rates, increasing the attractiveness of bonds and causing a shift
the following roles?

• The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist; the second is that
conclusion.
INCORRECT.The second part is not the conclusion, it is a reasoning
• The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the
CORRECT. first is a pattern that will not hold in this case. Second is the reason why the first pattern will not hold. The reason is that money will be moved form capital markets to debt structures.
• The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a consequence that follows
First is NOT a generalization. It is an observation
• The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the second is that
prediction.
Second is not a prediction, but a factual statement
• The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the
First is a pattern that WILL NOT be repeated. Therefore INCORRECT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 02:27
To me its E. It clearly states what the economists thinks initially. the second boldface contradicts that.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 05:25
of capital from equity to debt securities
. In the above argument, the statements in boldface play which of
the following roles?

A) The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist; the second is that
conclusion.
B) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the
C) The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a consequence that follows
D) The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the second is that
prediction.
E) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the

First sentence is an example of usual observed behaviour
Second sentence is the reason why this behaviour will not work

A) Correct. The second is definitely a conclusion, the first is defintely a consideration that the economist acknowledges will usually happen
B) Incorrect. First is correct, but second isn't quite right.
C)Incorrect. The second isn't a consequence from the generalisation, it is a conflicting view.
D)Incorrect. First and second sentences in the parapgraph are contradictory, D assumes they are complimentary
E)incorrect, first is a parrern of cause and effect but the economist DOES NOT predict is will be the case.

If you find my post helpful, please GIVE ME SOME KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Choice B is the correct one. Actually, I confuse btw choice B and choice E. However, the cause and effect in the first bold is not hold/ repeated in the case at issue. Also, the second part, as choice E said, is wrong. The second part support the prediction of the author.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 01:04
+1B

BF1 – Cause and effect
Case at Issue - this quarter, the release of data about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices
BF2 – Supports Case at Issue

Perfectly presented in option B
:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 07:56
usage of usually in the first sentence reaches to the option B
This usage implies that the author will be trying to refute it in the following argument...

Please correct me if i am wrong..

just one more month for exam...

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [1] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 11:16
E it should be :|

Below is why i think B is incorrect.

B: • The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the
The economics never PREDICTS in the first boldface that the prediction will not hold. He only mentions the general phenomenon- how it usually happens.

If however, "Usually" were in bold, then B would be correct .
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 19:13
I think B as well - many seem to think it is either this, or E.

Quote:
Domestic Product (GDP) results in an increase in stock prices.
However, this quarter, the release of data
the following roles?

Let's break it down:
1st sentence: Claim
2nd sentence: Conclusion (However = the former sentence may not be the case = change in support).
3rd: Premise

Quote:
E. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the

Quote:
B. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the

E is a pretty strong candidate for the right answer, except that the economist is not just acknowledging the circumstance in which the pattern would not hold, she gives an argument for why it would not hold, thereby expressing her belief in what she thinks will happen. Similarly, E states that the economist predicts that the pattern would be repeated, which is not the case. She just states that usually this is the case; then, she goes ahead and states her prediction.

Thus, B more accurately captures the economist's argument.

surbhi87 wrote:
B: • The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the
The economics never PREDICTS in the first boldface that the prediction will not hold. He only mentions the general phenomenon- how it usually happens. If however, "Usually" were in bold, then B would be correct .

The answer choice is not saying that the first bold-faced statement is the economist predicting -- it is saying that the first bolded-faced statement is one she then ultimately makes a prediction abuot. Although, I definitely understand the confusion!

mohan514 wrote:
usage of usually in the first sentence reaches to the option B
This usage implies that the author will be trying to refute it in the following argument...

Please correct me if i am wrong..

I don't think the word "usually" really has any bearing on whether or not it will be refuted -- the word "however" is more of an indication that the previous statement would be refuted. "Usually" in this case just means "typically".
(Does anybody else think that "usually" is weirdly spelled word... ? Stare at it for a while and you'll see... )

Arthur1000 wrote:
First sentence is an example of usual observed behaviour
Second sentence is the reason why this behaviour will not work

A) Correct. The second is definitely a conclusion, the first is defintely a consideration that the economist acknowledges will usually happen
B) Incorrect. First is correct, but second isn't quite right.
C)Incorrect. The second isn't a consequence from the generalisation, it is a conflicting view.
D)Incorrect. First and second sentences in the parapgraph are contradictory, D assumes they are complimentary
E)incorrect, first is a parrern of cause and effect but the economist DOES NOT predict is will be the case.

You're totally correct that the first sentence is an observation of something usual! However, the second sentence is not the reason -- it is the conclusion, which is opposite of the previous claim. Notice that the last bolded-sentence supports the second sentence -- whichever statement is most supported by the argument is usually the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 03:24
why most of these questions under sub 600 level,running without OA?..leading to contrasting views and in the end,doesn't serve the purpose
Re: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2014, 03:24