Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:06

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Children who attended private high schools may initially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 608 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 04:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:22) correct 37% (01:27) wrong based on 124 sessions
Children who attended private high schools may initially feel that they can succeed without doing the work required, but as they grow older, they realise the necessity of serious study. each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class.

The argument above would be most weakened if which of the following were true?
A) As they move up in grade students learn how o cheat without getting caught.
B) First time offenders in plagiarism and cheating on exams are not disciplined.
C) The proctors for freshman exams are least vigilant.
D) Acts of vandalism are most often committed by members of the sophomore class.
E) Public school students are no less likely than private school students to believethat they can succeed in life without working hard.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 36

Re: Children who attended private high schools [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
correct: if the seniors get to learn to cheat, then seniors don't realize the importance of serious study, but they become pro in cheating and don't get caught.
B) First time offenders in plagiarism and cheating on exams are not disciplined.
Incorrect: if the 1st yr students are not disciplined, the argument that more freshmen are caught for plagiarism.
C) The proctors for freshman exams are least vigilant.
Incorrect: Mostly, it is unrelated to argument. If anything, this will strengthen the argument. More freshmen will cheat.
D) Acts of vandalism are most often committed by members of the sophomore class.
Incorrect: Vandalism is not talked of in the argument. It is cheating, what argument stresses upon.
E) Public school students are no less likely than private school students to believe that they can succeed in life without working hard.
Incorrect: Unrelated to argument.

If you think you are lost, you are.

Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 610

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 09:45
Expert's post
I would pointed out HOW in the last sentence "each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class. "

If my effort to study Sc is rewarded, the correct idiom is "ARE" not is

Correct me if I'm wrong

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 10:59
carcass wrote:
I would pointed out HOW in the last sentence "each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class. "

If my effort to study Sc is rewarded, the correct idiom is "ARE" not is

Correct me if I'm wrong

Majority, Minority, and Plurality are either singular or plural depending upon their content. If you want to indicate many individual parts of the totality use plural verb and if you want to indicate totality itself then use singular verb.
Such As: The majority of students are hard worker
The majority has coalesced into unified block.

Based on the above, I think you are right.
If you like my explaination give me Kudos.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 21:56
Legendaddy wrote:
Children who attended private high schools may initially feel that they can succeed without doing the work required, but as they grow older, they realise the necessity of serious study. each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class.

Can anyone please explain the difference between A and B ?

option B says - first time offenders caught in cheating are not disciplined ? Isn't it exactly what we are looking for ?

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 22:22
+1A

Premise - Children who attended private high schools may initially feel that they can succeed without doing the work required, but as they grow older, they realise the necessity of serious study

Conclusion - Each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class.

Anything which weakens the conclusion i.e. majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is not just found in the freshman class

If option A is true it weakens the conclusion and is thus our answer

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 23:18
ankit0411 wrote:
Legendaddy wrote:

option B says - first time offenders caught in cheating are not disciplined ? Isn't it exactly what we are looking for ?

Option A states that as students move from freshman year(say first year) to sophomore(say 2nd year) they learn to cheat and do not get caught, thus giving an impression to everyone that they do not cheat. A cheat is a cheat, only when it is caught.

Option B states that those who commit plagiarism for the first time and then get caught are not disciplined i.e they tend to again cheat. We cannot say for sure that they committed their first cheat in the freshman year, it could be possible that they did that in pre-schools. It creates ambiguity.

Does this make sense?
:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 23:22
getgyan wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:
Legendaddy wrote:

Option A states that as students move from freshman year(say first year) to sophomore(say 2nd year) they learn to cheat and do not get caught, thus giving an impression to everyone that they do not cheat. A cheat is a cheat, only when it is caught.

Option B states that those who commit plagiarism for the first time and then get caught are not disciplined i.e they tend to again cheat. We cannot say for sure that they committed their first cheat in the freshman year, it could be possible that they did that in pre-schools. It creates ambiguity.

Does this make sense?
:-D

Yea , good enough , now I tend to get the subtle difference in the meanings.
Thanks mate !

You want something, go get it . Period !

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 06:40
each year the overwhelming majority of students disciplined for plagiarism and cheating on their exams is found in the freshman class

Since conclusion of the argument is based on the information that majority of the students are found disciplined, if what is found to be true is actually not true, then the argument collapses.

A exactly does its job.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Re: Children who attended private high schools may initially   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2013, 06:40