Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 8

Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 17:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

23% (01:34) correct 76% (00:49) wrong based on 26 sessions
Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates.

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percent of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate.

Which of the following would explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions?

Most doctorates who don't have a parent that also holds a doctorate have an aunt or uncle that holds a doctorate.
Parental education is rarely the overriding factor in determining whether a person earns a doctorate or not.
Both Hart and Choi fail to produce sufficient evidence to prove their cases.
One man uses raw numbers while the other uses percents.
Hart does not dispute Choi, but rather attempts to support his argument with additional evidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 20

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 18:12
bschool83 wrote:
Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates.

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percent of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate.

Which of the following would explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions?

Most doctorates who don't have a parent that also holds a doctorate have an aunt or uncle that holds a doctorate.
Parental education is rarely the overriding factor in determining whether a person earns a doctorate or not.
Both Hart and Choi fail to produce sufficient evidence to prove their cases.
One man uses raw numbers while the other uses percents.
Hart does not dispute Choi, but rather attempts to support his argument with additional evidence.

i will go with B.

when i read all choices & start eliminating, i am left with B.
A doesnt support any of the guys' statement..
C i would not choose because their statements are sufficient enough..
D i would not choose because the first guy makes a generic statement, he doesnt choose #s.
E could be a choice because in a way... 2nd guy is supporting 1st.. explanation of which is 2nd guy says 70% of doctorate holders do not have a parent holding doctorate... meaning 30% has... and 1st the guy is in sync with this. But the use of 'but' in hart's statement... made me not consider this choice.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 03:44
bschool83 wrote:

Most doctorates who don't have a parent that also holds a doctorate have an aunt or uncle that holds a doctorate.-Incorrect,Aunt or Uncle are brought into to consideration,hence irrelevant Parental education is rarely the overriding factor in determining whether a person earns a doctorate or not.- Too strong statement Both Hart and Choi fail to produce sufficient evidence to prove their cases.-Incorrect, as the question stem says that both the statements are true One man uses raw numbers while the other uses percents.

Stuck b/w D and E, but chose D because D points out a major factor used to differentiate the two statements (percents and Numbers)

What is the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 8

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
LifeChanger,

It seems that your interpretation of the question stem is incorrect.

Here the question does not ask to point out differences between the two arguments. Instead asks to explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions. Consider the conclusions by Hart and Choi as true.

Let's analyze the assertions. Clearly, they are contradicting each other. Hart says that children are more likely to earn doctorates if their parents have a doctorate. But Choi presents a counter evidence that there are in fact fewer doctorates with parents who have a doctorate.

This may mean that it is incorrect to conclude that "parental phd degree" is the determining factor. Or in other words, it is unlikely that parental doctorate degree causes the children to earn a phd degree. Answer choice B summarizes this point well.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 01:00
bschool83 wrote:
LifeChanger,

Here the question does not ask to point out differences between the two arguments. Instead asks to explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions. Consider the conclusions by Hart and Choi as true.

Let's analyze the assertions. Clearly, they are contradicting each other. Hart says that children are more likely to earn doctorates if their parents have a doctorate. But Choi presents a counter evidence that there are in fact fewer doctorates with parents who have a doctorate.

This may mean that it is incorrect to conclude that "parental phd degree" is the determining factor. Or in other words, it is unlikely that parental doctorate degree causes the children to earn a phd degree. Answer choice B summarizes this point well.

I didn't think of finding a difference between the two statements. I have understood what u r trying to explain..Thanks for your effort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:38
I think the answer is B. What is OA?

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 20:49
IMO E. What is the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 07:51
What's the OA?

To vent a bit:
As a group, do we feel we benefit more from an immediate OA or a delayed OA?

GMAT Day: Nov. 19, 2011

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 20:26
The questions asks : Which of the following would explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions?
If we choose B , wouldn't it support Hart more than Choi?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 02:54
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 03:47
bschool83 wrote:
LifeChanger,

But if we are saying that it is unlikely that a parental degree causes the children to earn a phd degree then won't this statement prove that Choi is wrong?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 8

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 04:54
No, Hart's assertion does not counter Choi's assertion. He just provides numbers that conclude that majority of phds have parents without a doctorate degree. It doesn't mean that none of the children have parents with a doctorate (but it is a small number). Therefore the word, rarely fits in well here.
Hope this helps you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 21:36
B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 05:36
I would go for C)

Consider this if out of 100 parents - 60 are non doctorate and 40 are doctorate

According to Choi % of children out of 40 becoming doctorates is greater than that of those out of 60 non doctorates

The sum of total doctorates can be say 40% of 40 and 30% of 60 = 34 ( of which 47% are doctorates children and 53 % are not) - This makes Hart right as well.

For both of them to be right they should have presented more evidence to support.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 16:41
let us analyse this question by taking a case
suppose there are 15 parents who hold doctorates and they have 30 children and all of them have earned doctorates as well
also suppose there are 100 parents without doctorate degree who have 200 children and out of these 70 hold doctorate degrees and 130 dont

every child of a doctorate parent is a doctorate in this case, same cannot be said about non doctorate parents- chois criteria fulfilled
in the above case there are total 100 doctorate children out of which 70 dont have doctorate parent- harts criteria fulfilled
Choi is talking probability while Hart is talking in pure percentages.
so i picked D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 06:49
Zynga wrote:
The questions asks : Which of the following would explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions?
If we choose B , wouldn't it support Hart more than Choi?

Even if it supports one more than the other, the point is that it still does support both.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:11
C for me
Re: CR- Explain - Doctorate   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2011, 02:11