Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 23:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

12% (03:12) correct 88% (00:53) wrong based on 17 sessions
Choi: All other factors being equal, children whose parents earned doctorates are more likely to earn a doctorate than children whose parents did not earn doctorates.

Hart: But consider this: over 70 percent of all doctorate holders do not have a parent that also holds a doctorate.

Which of the following would explain how both Hart and Choi could be correct in their assertions?

Most doctorates who don't have a parent that also holds a doctorate have an aunt or uncle that holds a doctorate.
Parental education is rarely the overriding factor in determining whether a person earns a doctorate or not.
Both Hart and Choi fail to produce sufficient evidence to prove their cases.
One man uses raw numbers while the other uses percents.
Hart does not dispute Choi, but rather attempts to support his argument with additional evidence.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-AD

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 378 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
The first rule of gmat - apples cannot be compared with oranges.

They have different points and there is no contradiction. Hart's reply is a scope shift. Hence E is ruled out.

E. Hart does not dispute Choi, but rather attempts to support his argument with additional evidence. -----> Hart does not support Choi. Also does not contradict Choi.

If they both are correct then B is left. Mechanically I can put their replies @ 90 degree so one thing has no bearing on the other.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
Its a good question.

I believe, if they were conversing, it would be like :
Hart: Hey !!!..70 % is negative..How you are correct.
Choi: Read my sentence Man : All factors being equal !!!...Now if Parental education is rarely affecting the education of Child, I am not responsible. If you make all factors equal, and make my "Parental Education" as prime One, then I am sure....the babies are Noble Winners :)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 378 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
Choi uses the word "more likely" - which is just a possibility. Can you predict the future? Not with certainty. That's the catch.

Most importantly - did you get that Hart's reply was scope shift? Hard did not contradict Choi.

rohitgoel15 wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

They have different points and there is no contradiction. Hart's reply is a scope shift. Hence E is ruled out.

E. Hart does not dispute Choi, but rather attempts to support his argument with additional evidence. -----> Hart does not support Choi. Also does not contradict Choi.

If they both are correct then B is left. Mechanically I can put their replies @ 90 degree so one thing has no bearing on the other.

@nusmavrik
Surely B supports Hart's assertion. But how does that support Choi as he mentions that parental education does play a role.

please advice.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 08:26
B!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 20

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 20:23
nusmavrik wrote:

@nusmavrik
Surely B supports Hart's assertion. But how does that support Choi as he mentions that parental education does play a role.

please advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 20

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 09:05
Thanks nusmavrik. Kudos for U
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 02:53
Didn't concentrate and pick E.

Should be B by simple POE.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:24
had trouble with that one. thanks for OA
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 00:16
Nice one!! Foxed me.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Re: Kaplan CAT: What Explains both the speakers's assertions   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2010, 00:16