Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choice between working with more time or no with less time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 16:03
I am in no rush to take the GMAT. I need to work for the next 2-3 years before I apply B-schools. I was just curious on what you guys think my best option is, take the test soon or study at a steady pace while working. As of right now I am in the process of finishing up my math studies but I am realizing that while I'm doing really well maybe practicing over a longer period of time could help me a lot more and maybe I should just get a job and study slowly and steadily. The situation right now is that my rents covered until the end of October so if I don't work and only study, then I'd have to take the test before October 15 , and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to just study hard and take the test by October or delay my GMAT and study slowly over the next year or so (whenever I know I'm ready. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 17:28
I too have a similar situation.The posted guidelines detail a three month study plan. I fared excellent on the verbal prep S/C and C/R with help from some great downloads found in the forum section. But I have had more difficulty with the maths this has slowed my development considerably. Realistically I know I will most likely need to take instruction at a lesser level. I am testing out on the third to bring myself up to par before attempting the challenge.My strength is verbal.Yet I am not discouraged The wealth of support and information gained here keeps me focused. My interest is a degree in Arts with a focus on communication in Hotel Management. I have set a goal of six months for the GMAT as I feel it enhances my academic options and benefits me immutably showing me my strengths and weaknesses. The added instruction tips and insights serve as a major catalyst to understanding and expose me to different thought processes. Set goal time frame for your pre-pre prep. Though I may not be Harvard I am dedicated to a lifetime of learning and the GMAT is a personal quest metric that I feel strongly about.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 18:08
Bradrs24 wrote:
I am in no rush to take the GMAT. I need to work for the next 2-3 years before I apply B-schools. I was just curious on what you guys think my best option is, take the test soon or study at a steady pace while working. As of right now I am in the process of finishing up my math studies but I am realizing that while I'm doing really well maybe practicing over a longer period of time could help me a lot more and maybe I should just get a job and study slowly and steadily. The situation right now is that my rents covered until the end of October so if I don't work and only study, then I'd have to take the test before October 15 , and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to just study hard and take the test by October or delay my GMAT and study slowly over the next year or so (whenever I know I'm ready. Thanks

The advantage to taking it soon is that your academics will be more fresh than if you were studying slowly while working. If i were you i would just get it out of the way before work gets too stressful.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 10:28
Expert's post
The first thing to do is take a diagnostic test from GMATPrep and mimic test conditions as much as possible. This will tell you where you stand. If you consider your score respectable, then by all means go for it!

Another thing to consider is that GMAT burnout sets in usually around the sixth month. I have come across a few accounts of people studying for one year and then performing poorly on the test. And at that point it's nearly impossible for these individuals to rebound and retake. Mentally and emotionally drained, they simply have no energy left. This is a very real possibility for anyone who overextends their studies.

Another problem is that with a "one year" mentality, you may become lackadaisical and passive about your studies. You need to be determined, focused, and energized. Very few can do so for a whole year.

I'm leaning toward the October plan. Also, you will probably start to wind down your GMAT preparation during the last two weeks, so you can balance work and study at the same time. In other words, I think that you could extend your study schedule to early November and be fine.

But, in the end, it all depends on you. Whichever path you choose, here are some books and other resources that you will need for a top score:

1. QUANT: All five Manhattan math books.
2. VERBAL: Powerscore CR, Manhattan SC.
3. QUESTIONS OG Verbal, OG Quant, OG 12th Edition, GMATClub Tests.
4. PRACTICE TESTS: GMATPrep, Manhattan online tests.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7276 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 10:34
Expert's post
I agree with Bmillan01 - stretching your studies over a long time (longer than 6 months) is not effective. Think of it as a sporting competition - you can't spend a long time leisurely preparing. It has to be intense for a good result. By default we forget things (built in protection from going nuts) and you will forget a lot of what you have learned 3-4 months ago unless you constantly refresh and stay on it. Also, much harder to keep the commitment.

YOu are welcome to do whatever you want but I would recommend against it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 14:50
Expert's post
Just a quick addition. If you think that all five MGMAT books will be too much for your schedule, another option is to combine the MGMAT Number Properties with the Kaplan Math Workbook. This is a fairly common combination.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 09:05
This is just the topic i was searching for..what about people who work and study for gmat at the same time? Frankly speaking if i prepare according to the 3 month study plan i might get anywhere between 650 to 700..but what abt 750 plus? i was thinking of having a 6 to 7 month study plan (Looong..i know)..but at the end of the day if im able to get a 750plus score..would that not make my day?? Im asking this cos i want to have a realistic target..and not blow the $250 just because i had a lot of time to spend on the gmat..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 12:23
I decided to work first. Sure, the study pace is fairly slow when working (really depends on profession, but it is rather slow for me), but I can allocate a certain subset of my free time and keep a schedule. At this rate, for me, its quality over quantity.

I couldn't do it in three months, just not enough time when you only can study ~1-2 hours per day and on weekends.

I got myself all of the MGMAT guides, Powerscore LR bible, OG12 and verbal/math review + untold amount of LSAT LR/RC questions.

So far with my abysmal schedule I can do 1 MGMAT guide per about 2.5 weeks. Including reading the guide and doing every single question/going over it. So far so good.

p.s.

Not much time for social time left...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 23:50
Thanks for all the responses, they've helped. It's a tough call but what scares me is finishing the GMAT in October but it taking me 2 to 3 months to find a job that will actually help build my resume. The job market in Las Vegas is horrible and I really don't want to have a job that's worthless for my resume but pays the bills (even if I can get one of those). I think I'll be done with math in the next week (perfecting combinatorics/ going over error-log) but that still leaves 1 month for Verbal and 1 to 1 to 1 and 1/2 months to perfect everything, take tests, go over GMAT club tests, etc.

Right now I'm inclined to take the first decent job that comes my way unless it comes 2-3 weeks before my test date.

Or

Do you think it is in my best interest to just wait on the job, take the risk of passing up on possible jobs that may not be available in October, and just focus on studying and taking the test?
Re: Choice between working with more time or no with less time   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2010, 23:50