Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choice of recommender advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Choice of recommender advice [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 02:35
Hello!

I need some help choosing whom to select as a second reference. My first is my direct supervisor at work.
For the second I have two choices:

1. Someone else at work.

2. Someone who I helped set up a design and printing business. Now this is the person I would prefer to select as i've worked with him as a freelance journalist too. Also, he's sure to give me a glowing recommendation. However, the only problem is that he has a hotmail account. And his company doesnt have a website. He has an official letterhead though, but recommendation forms are online.

Any suggestions? I'd rather go with number 2 but will it be a problem?

Thanks!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Choice of recommender advice [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 13:07
Expert's post
Keep in mind that recommenders should not be peers (except in the rare case that recommendation instructions request a peer rec, as Stanford has done). They should be above you organizationally or, if in the same role, be senior by virtue of longer tenure. If your preferred choice is more like a peer, then probably you should choose the work person.

However, there are a lot of “ifs” that would influence my answer. Would the work person provide a strong rec, with unique and relevant insights? If yes, than that option gains strength in my eyes. If not, then your preferred option grows more appealing. The value of recommendations in the adcoms’ eyes is that they provide fresh insight about you, they help the adcom get to know you. So your preferred option seems good in this regard. The question is credibility – if the adcom were to Google the journalist, would they see credible journalistic credits? If not, it could be a problem.

As you can see, it’s not black and white. The person you prefer seems to have some advantages, but I’m not sure of the credibility factor. So if you are able to answer my questions about the work person affirmatively, that would be the conservative/safe option.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog