Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choice of Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Choice of Schools [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 05:37
Hi,
Thanks A lot to GMAT Club and in particular to Hjort and Lynda. You guys are awesome at this crucial juncture of time :)
Apps, Apps, Apps...!! Here are my long list of questions :)

Here is a brief summary of what I want to do after my MBA:
Short –Term Goal: Management Consulting Position in a Top Strategic consulting firm (for three to four years after my MBA in a good B-School)
Mid –Term Goal: And then, shifting to General Management position in a Top IT firm and serving it at several leadership levels (for eight to ten years)
Long Term Goal: Building my own global IT consultancy business and impacting millions of lives positively. (Within next 10 to 12 years)

I am sure these goals are quite common for most MBA apirants. And , now here are my qualifications:

My current role is 'Consultant' in a well reputed MNC.
Five years IT experience in various roles - developer, business analyst, technological lead, consultant
Outstanding Academics in one of the Top 10 Engineering colleges in India
International Experience in US for around 2 years.
Good community service.
GMAT Score - 660 (Q 49 - 90%, V 33 - 70%) - almost gave up on retaking the test due to lack of time, but will re-consider if really required.

I am looking for schools good at Consultancy : placements wise and curriculum wise. I have good personal and professional leadership experiences that I can effectively showcase in my essays and also confident of good recos from my superiors :)

Here is my initial list of schools:(Top priority)
HBS, Indian School of Business ( I choose this as its local school for me),
Emory, Babson, Darden and TUCK

I am in the process of considering the below schools too:
UT, Cornell, UNC, U of Maryland - Smith, Indiana, Yale, USC, Minnessota, Arizona...

But, I am not sure and I am getting confused with so much data...

Any help in this regard is extremely helpful for me(choosing schools). If you can provide a relevant list of US schools that I should focus on, it would be immensely helpful. I am not planning to apply for more than six to seven schools.

Last question ?? How will Adcom view AWA score in GMAT ? Does a score of 4.5 effect my application badly ?

Thanks,
Satish.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Choice of Schools [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 13:08
Expert's post
svudayag wrote:
Hi,
Thanks A lot to GMAT Club and in particular to Hjort and Lynda. You guys are awesome at this crucial juncture of time :)
Apps, Apps, Apps...!! Here are my long list of questions :)

Here is a brief summary of what I want to do after my MBA:
Short –Term Goal: Management Consulting Position in a Top Strategic consulting firm (for three to four years after my MBA in a good B-School)
Mid –Term Goal: And then, shifting to General Management position in a Top IT firm and serving it at several leadership levels (for eight to ten years)
Long Term Goal: Building my own global IT consultancy business and impacting millions of lives positively. (Within next 10 to 12 years)

I am sure these goals are quite common for most MBA apirants. And , now here are my qualifications:

My current role is 'Consultant' in a well reputed MNC.
Five years IT experience in various roles - developer, business analyst, technological lead, consultant
Outstanding Academics in one of the Top 10 Engineering colleges in India
International Experience in US for around 2 years.
Good community service.
GMAT Score - 660 (Q 49 - 90%, V 33 - 70%) - almost gave up on retaking the test due to lack of time, but will re-consider if really required.

I am looking for schools good at Consultancy : placements wise and curriculum wise. I have good personal and professional leadership experiences that I can effectively showcase in my essays and also confident of good recos from my superiors :)

Here is my initial list of schools:(Top priority)
HBS, Indian School of Business ( I choose this as its local school for me),
Emory, Babson, Darden and TUCK

I am in the process of considering the below schools too:
UT, Cornell, UNC, U of Maryland - Smith, Indiana, Yale, USC, Minnessota, Arizona...

But, I am not sure and I am getting confused with so much data...

Any help in this regard is extremely helpful for me(choosing schools). If you can provide a relevant list of US schools that I should focus on, it would be immensely helpful. I am not planning to apply for more than six to seven schools.

Last question ?? How will Adcom view AWA score in GMAT ? Does a score of 4.5 effect my application badly ?

Thanks,
Satish.

Satish,

Let's start with your last question: The AWA is the least important section of the GMAT. However your overall score is not competitive for the top American programs. In fact considering your age and common background, even if you raise your GMAT, I strongly urge you to drop HBS from your list. If you want to have a serious chance at American schools in the top fifteen, then you should retake the GMAT.

If you want to get into the top strat consulting firms, then you really need to go to a higher ranked school, probably in the top fifteen. If you can raise your GMAT, consider the following : Tuck, Darden, Michigan, Haas, Cornell, UNC, USC, Yale.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2004, 06:45
Hi

I finished my undergraduation in the year 2000 and I am currently 25 years old. Am I too old or too young for HBS? Why is my age a hurdle for HBS app, if I can raise my GMAT score?

And one more query regarding GMAT - is it not enough to be close (20 to 30 points) to School mean score to be considered further? or put it in another way - being in 80% GMAT range- is not adequate?
or does the background also play important role in determining adequate GMAT score ?

Thank You !!
Satish.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2004, 08:54
Hi,

Many schools engage in some form of "demographic profiling" (usually implicitly) in which they adjust their expectations of a candidate based on the candidate's perceived gender/ethnicity/nationality. Students from the "high expectation" groups are thus expected to present relatively high test scores, grades, etc.

Keep in mind that many of the ultraelite schools consider age to be another aspect of demographic diversity. These schools are interested in relatively young applicants who show great promise in terms of grades, test scores, personal experience, leadership, etc.

I would concentrate on the transelite or higher general reputation schools if you are interested in management consulting.

In particular, take a closer look at Michigan and some of the transelites such as UNC and USC.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2004, 11:58
Expert's post
svudayag wrote:
Hi

I finished my undergraduation in the year 2000 and I am currently 25 years old. Am I too old or too young for HBS? Why is my age a hurdle for HBS app, if I can raise my GMAT score?

And one more query regarding GMAT - is it not enough to be close (20 to 30 points) to School mean score to be considered further? or put it in another way - being in 80% GMAT range- is not adequate?
or does the background also play important role in determining adequate GMAT score ?

Thank You !!
Satish.

Satish,

I must have misread your post or mixed you up with someone else. Your age/level of experience is not an issue. You are close to average for most schools. My apologies.

However, regarding the GMAT in MBA admissions. A 660 GMAT from an Indian in IT, which is probably the most common applicant profile, is a negative in this competitive process where A) diversity is valued; B) many Indians apply with higher GMATs and C) rankings are partially determined by GMAT score. So if the schools want to create diverse classes with a high average GMAT score, they are less likely to accept Indians from IT with lower than average GMAT scores -- especially scores close to the bottom of the 80% range. For some groups being in that 80% range is fine, but for more competitive groups, like Indian males from IT, that range is not accurate. Your "outstanding academics" as an undergrad may mitigate, but my recommendation is to retake it if you want to have a good chance at the top schools that feed into MC.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog