Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, that's very true, which is why you're doing the right thing by focusing on many non-academic (i.e., more interesting!) things about your profile.

If I were you, I would spend VERY little time on academic achievements in your essays. Your data sheets and resume can mention these things. Tell them about what makes you interesting as a person ad a potential leader. Academics usually aren't the first thing that adcomms look to when thinking about those things.

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sounds like I may have to use the optional essay to explain that while I am Indian, I've never had anything to do with IT in the past or present and won't be pursuing a career in it (excuse the pun) in the future.

And the admissions committee member said: "He's Indian and claims not be in IT? Get GW on the line now! Mankind's search for extra-terrestrial life has ended."

Would you agree that stereotyping is rampant among admissions committees?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
No, I don't really agree. Keep in mind that admissions committees see TON of applications, and applicants start to sound VERY similar to one another, especially when they often harp on the same four or five attributes (no matter what country they're from).

Now, you can either complain about this, or you can use this to your advantage. It's your job to stand out from the pack. Make the adcomms' jobs easier -- by standing out and giving them something interesting to learn about you -- and you'll greatly boost your chances.

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The last message was supposed an attempt (an apparently bad one) at humor. I'm not complaining about anything. I was simply asking if it would be prudent to make a pitch on how I am different from other members of my demographic in the optional essay.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I don't think you need to use the optional essay to specifically address that issue. Don't address that question specifically, but rather just show what makes you unique, period (not unique vs. a certain group). Use your whole application to demonstrate how you're different!

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice. I may get in touch for MBA Gameplan's essay service. I've read your book and thought it was great.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]