Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choice of schools to apply

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Choice of schools to apply [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 06:34
Hi all and thanks for taking the time reading this.

I am a long time lurker, but first time posting in this forum.
Soon I'll be applying to management phd programs. I think I have a pretty strong profile, but definitely need some advice in finalizing my school list (I think mine is too short), and get some "inside information" about the schools.

I am an international (europian) 30 y/o. Have a B.Sc. and M.Sc in a scientific field (very strong in quant), finishing in the very top of my class. GMAT 760. some research experience - not in management, but 3 years work experience in management consulting.

I am interested mainly in strategy, but in a rather "esoteric" topic: the role of emotions in strategic decision making. So I'm a kind of between OB/psychology and strategy.

So, where should I apply?
Currently I think of Wharton, Michigan(Ross), HBS, Berkeley.
I miss a safety school though (what about penn state?)
Where else? any comments on my choices? any opinions/information about the schools?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 244

Kudos [?]: 2080 [0], given: 677

Re: Choice of schools to apply [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 08:06
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Choice of schools to apply [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 15:37
Take my advice with a grain of salt - I know the field well and know some schools better than others, but I have my own tastes about what's important, what is good and what is not so good.

From the schools you mention, while HBS cannot be a failure (if you manage to get in), your best bets are Berkeley and Michigan. Although none of them has exactly the kind fo faculty you look for, but they have track record of bridging the fields of OB and strategy (e.g. many publications, including faculty-student publication - which is what really matters for you).
Wharton has a good name in strategy and is seemingly interdisciplinary - but have no publications that cross the OB-strategy boundaries. The OB faculty don't have a very good publication record (compared to, say, michigan or berkeley), especially not with students, and I've heard "horror" stories about the atmosphere - people leaving in the middle of the program, or staying too long to finish.

In fact, I think your Penn State option is even better than Wharton. They are ranked no.1 in publications in top MGMT journals, and their department is interdisciplinary as well. Don Hambrick has done a lot of psychological stuff on CEOs and top managers, so he might be your guy.

You might want also to look at Olin business school (WUSTL) as another safety options. they have great faculty, although I haven't heard much about their program.

Hope this helps
Re: Choice of schools to apply   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2010, 15:37