Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chooosing a reach school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Chooosing a reach school [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 19:29
I know there is a lot of unknowns in the application process, but as someone who will e applying in the fall of '10, I wanted your opinion. I am thinking of applying to one "extreme reach" and wanted to know which I would have a greater chance of getting an admit. Between Chicago 1st rd and Columbia ED which is easier to get into, all things being equal (M/27/5yrs WE/3.0/710 balanced, decent to good EC with international, work in operations/risk in investment bank, want to return to finance). Not really worried about fit or location.

What about if I added Dartmouth to the mix? I know it is kind of odd when looking at goals, but lets assume everything is the same (essays are still good, interview fine, etc.).

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chooosing a reach school [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 20:50
If you're question is which school is easier to get into, Columbia or UChicago, I think UChicago is. UChicago does not release acceptance rates for their incoming class, but I think most sources put it between 20-25%. Columbia has an acceptance rate around 15%. However, that's the overall acceptance rate and it's difficult to make a concrete estimate for Columbia ED and Chicago R1. I've heard that Columbia accepts anywhere between 25% to 35% of people who apply for ED. The rate is so high because they care a lot about yield. Since Chicago's overall acceptance rate is already around 25%, I'd think that for R1, it would be around 30% or so; the difference btw R1 and the overall rates is not as great as Columbia's ED bc it's not binding. So the net increase in likelihood to get in is higher for Columbia ED than for Chicago R1.

This is all based purely on percentages though. I think Columbia might draw a more competitive applicant pool, because of its location. A lot of people who have their hearts set on working in NYC after graduation might choose to apply to Columbia over some of the other equally elite schools because of this factor.
Re: Chooosing a reach school   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2009, 20:50