Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Re: Choose between Georgetown, UNC or NYU [#permalink]
Kudos
how much do you know about bojangles? if the answer is nothing come down to NC, I'm telling you I moved here from Maryland last year and have never looked back. 80 degree days in March, Country concerts in the summer, and a top notch school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
First, congratulations on all your admits!
You mention that NY is the greater risk, but it seems to me that the greater risk is taking yourself out of what I assume is the ideal recruiting environment at a Top 10 school (I didn’t look into equity research so I can't offer any insight there).
NYC is very expensive, but the good news is you will have a second income defraying some of the cost of living considerations (Your classmates paying rent with loans will be very jealous). While UNC and Georgetown may be "zero stress" on his job front, they will likely be more stress on you. Money and time will have to be spent making trips up to NYC and you'll likely have to spend more time networking to make up for difference in NYC network. You're going to make the investment in time and money, skewed towards one or the other. Money can be made back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Kudos
conveniently stuck in the proverbial financial capital of the world? woe is me :) come down to the south, people love kids down here!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
FANTASTIC reply by nink.It is a good idea to find a middle ground otherwise stress levels may be high throughout your graduate program. I, myself, wanted to move to the DC or Virginia area to apply to b-school but, my husband has his job here in NYC and the job does not seem to offer him any option in DC or surrounding areas. So,I'm pretty much 'stuck' here in NYC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
I agree, fantastic response from nink!

Maybe one other thing to think about when considering NYC...I am not sure if your child is old enough for nursery/pre-school but that is another cost to consider as well.

heygirl is right on point when she said that she and her husband work their butts off to live well in this city. I couldn't agree more. My husband is a Columbia MBA and doing well but, frankly, even with both of our salaries, we have just enough to live decently/average/nothing over the top by any means (forget about savings or frequent traveling). I am a little nervous about the day I have to quit work to start business school and live on his income alone ( we will be "downgrading" our apt). It is difficult and having a child in the picture and living in Greenwich village, which is not the cheaper part of town (at least I can consider West Harlem for Columbia), is tough. I don't want to bash NYC or anything but you absolutely must consider just how expensive it is to live here, especially on one salary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Wishbone wrote:
conveniently stuck in the proverbial financial capital of the world? woe is me :) come down to the south, people love kids down here!!!

haha, Yes wishbone. We are ' conveniently stuck'. I LOVE this city for its job oppurtunities,pace,things to do, diversity, clubs etc but our standard of living is well below what many might enjoy for a simialr salary/benefit package elswhere. My husband got an offer in Chicago but we turned it down, geez- I have enough of the winter weather in NY so chose away from the Chicago offer. South is EXACTLY what we are targetting! I don't know when it will work out though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
First and foremost, thank you all for contributing great points. I appreciate your time and thought in each of your responses.

@nink: You hit the nail on the head.
As for business school, now is the best time, I'm not looking to defer. Next year won't become ay easier. I figure at this point at least our son is old enough to enjoy socialization and loves daycare at this point and I feel as he gets older I will want to be more available for him. I'm lucky that my husband is so supportive, I definitely couldn't do this without his 100% dedication as well. I'm a completely holistic person and nink is correct, I am not the sort of person who chooses work above family. I love my work, I feel energized by creating value for an organization and I love the adrenaline that comes from expectation and deadlines but I also value family and the experiences that make life worth living.

We were considering getting an au pair and perhaps living in the upper west side or Carrol Gardens/Brooklyn Heights in Brooklyn if we were to pursue NYC given that we can get more space to have an au pair. I'm thinking having one less thing to worry about in terms of taking our son to daycare and having the flexibility, consistency and cultural exposure of an au pair would be great.

Nothing in life is certain however I want to give myself the best shot at achieving my career goals without having to totally sacrifice what is most important for my family. Temporary sacrifice, I get that but from a holistic standpoint, I want to keep our financial situation in balance. Coming from a financial planning background, I have always been very committed to investing and saving and while we will have a bit of a cushion due to previous savings, I don't want to rely upon that. I guess these are the sorts of things everybody faces at some point: weighing the trade offs and sacrifices to find balance.

Again, thank you all for trying to shed light and help me in this situation. I'm sincerely greatful to hear you guys who have been there and done that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I am not sure any of them particularly give you a great chance of getting into buyside research. I know a few NYU guys who have, but it was nothing much to do with NYU's MBA program per se and a lot to do with working a network. I say that uncertain as to what your background is - "Financial Services" suggests to me that it isn't directly applicable to research or the buyside (sorry to be cynical, but habits are and must).

All the same, your chances on the sell side are better at NYU than all of the above. So your long term research opportunity chances are higher at NYU than the others I guess - three years in, buyside from sellside is an option.

My opinion on the choice is also a little sounding around the career choice. You really won't see much of your significant other for three years out of B-School working in research. I wish that sleeping in the same bed counted. Though then again, in a way it does, which is why it super sucks to be a consultant. All the same, the difference between 5 years and 3 years given the move to school... it is sort of significant, though could be a great dress rehearsal if your relationship works right.

UNC from my experience only has links to one bank, and that's BofA, which may now be overpowered on research by the Merrill bulls. Georgetown I know little of and from. Then again, take this advice for as much as it cost you - I don't ask about schools from anyone because I don't particularly care. So long as you are competent.
GMAT Club Bot