Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choosing an Online Prep course

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Choosing an Online Prep course [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 02:49
Hello!

I have been trying to find a suitable course for my preparation. I found a few classroom options (in Bangalore) but for some reason wasn't too impressed. Also, considering the fact that I will have to spend a considerable amount of time traveling to the prep centers, the options appear less exciting. With a busy day job, tiring schedule and the suggestion from some members on a couple of forums, I am tempted to look into the online courses

Here's a quick intro on my background and skills, I used to be top my class in Math and English used to be my fav subject in school. However, after 7 years on the job, things have definitely changed. I don't get to use my math skills from school at work and when I looked at some sample Quant questions, I sure felt uncomfortable. Someone suggested I take a diagnostic test and I did. I scored around 500 (don't remember the breakup of scores). One thing I remember is that I was less uncomfortable with Verbal than with Quant questions. So, quant is something I would need to improve upon...

Now, given my skills (or lack of skills at the moment!) are there online courses which could help me score over 740 in the GMAT)? I am looking for a course which would give me some introduction to the basics and build my skills thereafter. I read about my potential options Knewton, Master GMAT, Grockit and GMAT Pill and not able to decide on the best choice

In case this info would help, I plan to give myself about 4 months' time for preparation before taking the plunge! I know there are lots of experts here, I am looking for helpful suggestions and comments. I appreciate your time…

Thanks
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Choosing an Online Prep course [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 06:27
Hello veggiedelite, I can recommend Knewton. I just finished up their online course and have seen great improvements in my scoring. I took a diagnositic test back in July and scored a 550. Like you I hadn't reviewed any GMAT material beforehand. Also, I'm an engineer so have a strong math background but didn't fair too well on the diagnostic, something like a Q27 - 29. Can't remember exactly. I tried self-study, but it just wasn't working for me.

After spending the last 2 months going through Knewton, I took another GMAT diagnostic this past weekend and scored a 710 (Q49, V38). I do believe Knewton is lacking a bit on the verbal review, but overall I think it has helped greatly. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Also, it helps that my company paid for the class, so it was really a no-lose situation for me.
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Choosing an Online Prep course [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 06:55
Hey veggiedelite,

Manhattan GMAT and many other online programs let you sit in on the first class session for free as a trial student. If you feel like you can't decide on which course to take, attend a trial class in each course and see which one you like the most. I can say that Manhattan GMAT offers one of the highest rated programs out there and focuses on content from beginner to advanced. In addition, Manhattan GMAT offers online classes tailored to the study hours of students in India. You can find a list of those classes here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/india-classes.cfm

Best of luck and let us know what you end up choosing!

Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Choosing an Online Prep course   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2011, 06:55