Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choosing entrepreneurship program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chapman
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Choosing entrepreneurship program [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 18:14
Hi Alex,

I am considering pursue an MBA program with entrepreneurship concentration. And here is a brief description about my background :

I'm Vietnamese. I had 2.5 years experience in construction industry, with the project management job. But I don't like my current job, and I have a passion to establish my own business in some days. Therefore, I am looking to pursuit an MBA in entrepreneurship. After finishing the MBA, I would like to have at least 2 years experience working in the US in my concentration. Then, I will come back my country and set up my own business.

First, I worried that there will not much chance for me to find a job in this major, by the fact that I didn't see any school mentioned about entrepreneurship in their employment statistic report. Does it mean that every entrepreneurial student will start his own business or he must work at a different major?

Secondly, I concern about the school that can provide the good entrepreneurship program. I referenced the entrepreneur magazine ranking (Princeton review), but I am uncertain about the reliance of the ranking. Form this ranking, I picked out some schools that fit my profile (TOEFT:90, GMAT : expect 600). They are:

1.DePaul University Charles H. Kellstadt Graduate School of Business (2nd)
2. Chapman University (9th)
3. The University of South Florida (Tampa). (5th)

I also also considered other schools that are out of the Princeton Review ranking, but they also have entrepreneurship concentration :

1. William & Mary College
2. University of San Francisco (USF)
3. Worcester Polytechnic Institute

In comparison, William & Mary is at a higher ranking in a more prestige ranking (US News & Word Report), however it is not appear in the entrepreneurship ranking. In contrast, DePaul & Chapman have many researches and a strong entrepreneurship center (I found this in their website), but I did not find the these schools in any other rankings. Beside, William & Mary locates in a quite small and quite town, whereas DePaul & Chapman have the advantage of the big, vibrant city. Do you think there will be more job opportunity in entrepreneurship in Los Angeles & Chicago? Those factors make my decision so difficult.

Many consultant advised that we should not consider the ranking too much. In my case, beside the ranking I can not find other source more reliable about the entrepreneurship program. Can you give me advice how to evaluate or your own evaluation about these schools (if it is possible). I also hope that you can suggest some good entrepreneurship programs that fit my profile.

Thanks you very much!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Choosing entrepreneurship program [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 22:48
Rankings publications are a decent start -- although some rankings are more reliable than others. For MBA programs, the most consistent and reliable are the US News & World Report, Businessweek, and the Financial Times. I would disregard the Princeton Review rankings (I actually didn't know they had one).

However, you need to look beyond the rankings publications. They are just the start. From there, you need to go through their websites, attend various MBA fairs in your local area where the school adcoms will attend, and visit some of the schools for yourself and speak to current students. It's the face-to-face "human intelligence" where you'll get the best info on what schools are truly right for you.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: Chapman
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Choosing entrepreneurship program [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2009, 05:06
Dear Alex,

Thank Alex so much for your advice. I know you have reason not to regard the Princeton Review rankings (in corporation with entrepreneur.com), however I came across this ranking at many school's profile. And that is the reason why I concerned about it.

As you know, by the fact that I am an international student, there will be little chance for me to have a face-to-face contact with the current student or a visit to the campus. I hope I have that opportunity, anyway, I will try to contact them by other means. Thank you for suggestion, at the end of the day it reminds me that it is still the best way to have an insight about the school!

Best regards.
Re: Choosing entrepreneurship program   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2009, 05:06