Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Choosing the best school for my background and interests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Choosing the best school for my background and interests [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2006, 14:25
Hi,

I wrote the GMAT recently and scored 710. I wish to begin researching schools and their application criteria.
Before that I would like to get an idea of what chances I have, if you can please tell me.
As of today I have 4 years of experience working in the IT industry. I am an Electronics and Science graduate from one of the popular schools in Bangalore. I have a GPA of 75 % . After graduation I worked as a software engineer in a leading IT company based in Bangalore. During my tenure in that company I worked for a project in an investment bank in London for a year. I was promoted to a programmer analyst while I was in that project. In 2005 I was assigned a project in Atlanta USA that went on for about 6 months after which I quit my first company. Right now I'm working in the IT department of a Health Insurance company in USA.
I have been involved in cultural activities in school and college all through. I have taken exams in classical music though I do not have recent practise.
I wish to get into cources that uplift technology management skills. Please evaluate my chances and which schools i can aim for
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2006, 18:21
Expert's post
I'm not sure that I have enough info. You don't have to answer them for me, but here are some questions to consider:

* Why do you want an MBA? You mentioned "uplifting tech management skills," but I'm not sure what this means. Do you really need an MBA for this?

* Have you led teams in your job? If not, then have you coached/managed others? It's okay if you haven't, but how have you made an impact on your organization?

* Your profile (Indian/IT) is very common, so you'll need something to set you apart. A strong GMAT or degree from a top school won't do that for you. Your international experience is great, but look for other ways to show how you are unique, such as your hobbies and extracurricular activities.

Since you're interested in IT, then Tepper, Maryland, Vanderbilt, and UT Austin are schools to consider.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2006, 09:13
Thanks for your suggestions.
I had to end the posting abruptly yesterday since I got busy. Elaborating on why I need an MBA: In my tenure as an employee of a solutions and systems integration company I have had to work with business and solutions managers who win projects for the company and are supposed to gather requirements from the clients and pass it on verbatim to the project team. However most business managers I have worked with have little or no experience in program development. Their managerial and salesmanship skills are exemplary. The specifications passed on to the team in many cases do not match the actual needs of the client. Projects have been scrapped due to aggressive deadlines and miscalculation by the same folks. This always turned out to be very taxing for the client and the customer in terms of revenue, resource management etc. As I grow in the industry technically I would also like to drive my career towards providing well-managed technically competent business solutions. I have experience working on various fields within IT.
Talking about impact on the organization: I have not led teams per say. But I have been wholly responsible for implementing and deploying significant sections of many projects. My communication skills have been well appreciated always.
In my school years I worked with the Blind School for a fortnight every year helping students study and prepare for their board exams. During my college years I volunteered to substitute one of the teachers who had to go on a short-term leave and taught science and math for the students in lower grades for two months. During my under graduate days some of my friends and I formed a committee for our branch which exists even today and is maintained by junior students. We organized group discussions, mock interviews, speeches and books exchange medium. These are some of the activities that I can highlight.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2006, 19:05
Expert's post
These are some good examples. Your work experience sounds good, but it sounds like you haven't had a lot of opportunities to truly lead others. If you can find opportunities like this in the coming year (on the job or outside of work), this will help you a lot.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 02 Mar 2006, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2006, 08:30
True...i don't have leadership experince...my work experince is only 3.5 years as of today and I don't see myself leading teams in my present company for atleast 2 years now...
thanks for your suggestions...it really helps analyse and think in the right direction
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2006, 08:51
Speaking about admissions I have another question. I was looking through the pages of MBA.com when I found this piece of information:

"Many schools target qualified females with special recruiting efforts, including scholarships and financial aid. Make sure to research these opportunities as part of your investigation of schools and programs".

Can you suggest some websites/portals that give more information about this?
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2006, 19:01
Expert's post
I actually don't know of a single standalone site for that info. (If someone else knows, please jump in!) Check out your target schools' sites. Also, some of these programs may not be publicly available. They may only offer them to women after they are admitted.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews