Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 02:10
nitya34 wrote:
Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several Hussains of various periods
on account of having achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.

(A) on account of having
(B) on account of their having
(C) because they have
(D) because of having
(E) because it has

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

Lesson I learned from participating:
1.understand the meaning of the sentence first:
Christlers owns several Hussains (because) Christlers achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.
OR
Christlers owns several Hussains (because) Hussins achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.
The second sentence makes better sense
2.Choose simpler version over wordier ones
so all "on account " are out
3.check verb/noun/modifier...
D- out since there is no noun. I dont know how is "having..."
E- out since "hussins" are obviously several pieces and therefore plural
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 02:15
Hi sidhu4u,

‘Because’ is preferred over ‘on account of’. This is because ‘because’ can introduce an entire subordinate clause in the sentence (Golden crab is not fished, on account of living… - is not correct). Golden crab is not fished, because it lives… - is correct.
Since "on account of" is meant to be used in place of "because of" in this case lets try replacing it;
(B) on account of their having => because of their having .......... doesnt seem to be ok!
Also I don't like ing form used unnecessarily.

Please let me know if this seem ok!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 05:15
Same here quite tricky... picked E first... :(
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:42
I knew it is either B or C but picked B....:(

I forgot that "because" is preferred over "on account of"
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 20:53
nitya34 wrote:
Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several Hussains of various periods on account of having achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.

(A) on account of having
(C) because they have
(D) because of having
(E) because it has

What is the source of this question? Could you give the official explanation? If suppose I am replacing Hussain with Diamonds, How it will change the question and in this case what will be the answer? Why I should assume that Hussain is the name of the person because it is not a dictionary word? Please explain.
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 20:59
sidhu4u wrote:
Can anyone give a convincing explanation of why it's not B?

'On account of their having' seems equally good as 'because they have' and has no grammatical errors. In fact, if the sentence is read aloud option B sounds somehow more right to me.

I think nobody is having any convincing explanation for this question. Till the time official answer was not given everybody was giving wrong answer, but after answer was given everybody is trying to match their explantion with the official answer. Please, somebody explain with grammar and not by the given answer.

Thanks!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 21:37
nitya34 wrote:
Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several Hussains of various periods on account of having achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.

(A) on account of having ( what is having ? christlers or hussains ?)
(B) on account of their having (awkward + tense )
(C) because they have
(D) because of having (same as A)
(E) because it has (plural antecedent singular pronoun )

so c is precise ,has the right pronoun reference and the right tense usage

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 21:40
btw why is 'because' preferred over 'on account of' ? can any expert explain this please ...

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 05:53
i too picked E.But got the reason for C afterwards.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 20:18
nitya34 wrote:

(A) on account of having
(C) because they have
(D) because of having
(E) because it has

Source of the question, please??? If there is official explanation, Please post it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 00:22
rampuria wrote:
Whats wrong with B?

It correctly uses the -ing form with the possessive? Is it passive

Let me see if I can explain this...
One good rule to remember in a sentence with Conjunction ("Because") or even with relative clauses... unless it explicitly states something (Before 1984 (past), but (present))... ALWAYS maintain the tense...

- Past remains Past - Present remains Present -

With question... "having achieved" (Present Perfect) is not same tense as "owns" (Present)...
That's why (B) is wrong...

Based on this you should be able to narrow down to (C) & (E) ... "have" & "has" are Present tense for plural & singular, respectively...

Correct answer is (C)... if you follow the meaning of the sentence (Art house owns famous paintings because paintings have achieved iconic status)

Hope this helps.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1609 [0], given: 249

Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 07:33
Expert's post
My query is: Does the word ‘Hussians’ reflect iconic status. I am a lay man and I can’t understand why Hussains should refer to his paintings. In the same vein can the following be acceptable expressions?

The xyz music store in NewYork has collected several Michael Jacksons, because they have attained a celebrity status. Will several Michael Jacsons mean several of his dances?

The Salar Jung museum has several Beethovens in the music section because they have earned an idolic status – Will Beethovens mean his musicl feats or his portraits?

Additionally, it is rare to see in gmat a pronoun preferring an object over a very eligible subject for reference . I would not know how clear the expression Hussians is meaning-wise, even granting that we ignore pronoun reference for the time- being.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 08:05
C here
What I see here is that Hussains does not refer to a person, it refers to the paintings... like how you would say 'Van Goghs'. When we talk about about iconic status, we refer to the paintings, which is why the art house has them in the first place.
For B, the word 'their' sounds possessive... either that or I'm wrong. Either way, C is less wordy, so I went with C.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:07
I'm not entirely convinced that E is incorrect.

I would love to know the source and original explanation for this question.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 04:50
Here is the meaning conveyed by E:
Christlers has achieved an iconic status; for this reason, the art house owns several Hussains of various periods.
This meaning requires that a reader make a connection between the ICONIC STATUS of the art house and the owning of SEVERAL HUSSAINS OF VARIOUS PERIODS.
This connection can be made only if a reader has FOREKNOWLEDGE that owning several Hussains of various periods is a noteworthy feat.

The meaning conveyed by C makes more sense and require no such foreknowledge:
The Hussains have achieved an iconic status; for this reason, Christlers owns several of these paintings.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 09:26
Is it impossible to believe that Christlers, the famous art house itself is iconic in an art circle?

For example, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC is considered in "some circles" as being one of the best in the world.

Maybe I am confusing a "social circle," (aka a group of people or organizations with something in common) with another sort of "circle," which I'm not entirely too sure entails.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 15:51
As you see in the original sentence, Christlers refers to a famous people. Thus, you cannot use "they", "their", and"them"to refer to Christlers.
Then, cut the B and C off.

Posted from my mobile device Image
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-Christlers [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 00:02
sidhu4u wrote:
Can anyone give a convincing explanation of why it's not B?

'On account of their having' seems equally good as 'because they have' and has no grammatical errors. In fact, if the sentence is read aloud option B sounds somehow more right to me.

Hi Sidhu,

Here is the complete sentence for B

Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several Hussains of various periods on account of their having achieved an iconic status in the English art circle.

The issue is the word 'their'. At the very least it is unnecessary - a classic rule of GMAT is if there are 2 answers that both look correct, the more concise will be the better one. Secondly, it's very clumsy English, using 'their' is a rather unclear way of referring back to the 'Hussains'.

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1284 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 14:36
nitya34 wrote:

(A) on account of having
(C) because they have
(D) because of having
(E) because it has

IMO, C

(A) on account of having
Wrong. right idiom is: on account of something / account for doing something

"their having achieved" sounds awkward.

(C) because they have
Correct. Several Hussains..... because they have.....

(D) because of having
Wrong idiom. Right idiom is: Because of something.

(E) because it has
Wrong. Several Hussains..... because it.....

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 19:49
It appears that - because Christler's owns several paintings, it has achieved an iconic status.
Its like saying.. Madame Tussad's owns statues of many celebrities, so it/they is/are very famous. if I were to underline the confusing parts of this statement - it could easily confuse someone on whether the museum is famous or the celebs are famous...
The way this statement is structured is so that the meaning isn't very obvious...Can someone recollect off of the top of their heads whether some similar question exists in OC?

Also, what's the source of this question?

Thanks
Re: Christlers, the famous art house in London, owns several   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 19:49