Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 07:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:18) correct 50% (01:37) wrong based on 103 sessions
Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.




the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention at the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact that the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.

the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them




Post your reason and I will post the solution, the reason is I don't want to color analysis.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 367 [4] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 07:52
4
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.

the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention at the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact that the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.

the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

Post your reason and I will post the solution, the reason is I don't want to color analysis.


Original sentence has ambigous pronoun "them". Same in B and C.
Correct ans must be D or E.
D has incorrect 'due to the fact'

Hence Ans E it is.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 10:38
Wow, you are an absolute machine Vips. Thats exactly what the solution says.


But here to you is my question. I don't quite understand why "the leaders" can be ambiguous, but somehow, "the leadership" is not.

In fact, I narrowed down this question to A and E. and I actually saw the ambiguous word "them", but I chose A because in my opinion, it changed the meaning of the subject from "leaders" to "leadership" while not reducing any redundancy and in my opinion not addressing the issue of ambiguity.

Can't wait for your insight as always :)
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 367 [3] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 17:06
3
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
Wow, you are an absolute machine Vips. Thats exactly what the solution says.


But here to you is my question. I don't quite understand why "the leaders" can be ambiguous, but somehow, "the leadership" is not.

In fact, I narrowed down this question to A and E. and I actually saw the ambiguous word "them", but I chose A because in my opinion, it changed the meaning of the subject from "leaders" to "leadership" while not reducing any redundancy and in my opinion not addressing the issue of ambiguity.

Can't wait for your insight as always :)

The difference between the leaders and the leadership is that the leadership is singular while the leaders is plural. Thus no ambiguity with use of leadership,as we know what them refers to.

Hope it helps:)
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 201
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 08:05
Keen observance Vips

Thank you for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 22
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 8

Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 05:27
Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.

    (A) the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

    (B) the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention at the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

    (C) the leaders of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact that the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them.

    (D) the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church due to the fact the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

    (E) the leadership of the Human Genome Project not to hold a convention in the center opposite the local church since the agenda presented in the convention may be offensive to them

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - E

Last edited by Narenn on 14 Jul 2013, 07:03, edited 2 times in total.
Merging Similar Topics - Pls search the forum prior to posting a new question
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: Q51 V27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:16
Vips0000 wrote:
anon1 wrote:
Wow, you are an absolute machine Vips. Thats exactly what the solution says.


But here to you is my question. I don't quite understand why "the leaders" can be ambiguous, but somehow, "the leadership" is not.

In fact, I narrowed down this question to A and E. and I actually saw the ambiguous word "them", but I chose A because in my opinion, it changed the meaning of the subject from "leaders" to "leadership" while not reducing any redundancy and in my opinion not addressing the issue of ambiguity.

Can't wait for your insight as always :)

The difference between the leaders and the leadership is that the leadership is singular while the leaders is plural. Thus no ambiguity with use of leadership,as we know what them refers to.

Hope it helps:)


Hey i have one doubt. I don't understand how would the churchgoers ask the leadership..the churchgoers can only ask leaders....could you please help me understand..thanks!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 838
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 597 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
sharmaprashant19 wrote:

Hey i have one doubt. I don't understand how would the churchgoers ask the leadership..the churchgoers can only ask leaders....could you please help me understand..thanks!!


hi,

Leadership is the action of leading a group of people. Or, the actual people who lead the group.
If you think you have leadership skills, you better be able to rally the troops and get the job done. Leadership can be the act of leading, or a name for the group of people doing the leading.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/leadership

hope it helps
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders o   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 06:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Town leaders have suggested cultivating seaweed beds goodyear2013 2 18 Apr 2014, 14:52
Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders shailendrasharma 0 14 Jul 2013, 05:27
1 Not having heard clearly , the speaker was asked to repeat vishu1414 2 19 Dec 2012, 21:36
I Apologize in Advance...But I Have to Ask shs0145 4 24 Jul 2011, 16:21
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Have a question about GMAT? Ask Kaplan bb 9 01 Jul 2010, 09:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Churchgoers in the Oldcastle parish have asked the leaders

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.